Gern's Phantom

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
HUD fitted! Thanks for the reminders guys.

Gern

First Name
Dave
Looking good Dave.The HUD will add a nice bit of extra detail to the cockpit.So it will be well worth fitting the HUD!!

C

Caledonia

Looking good Dave, doesn't matter which kit you buy, the Phantoms Intakes are always tricky as are most twin engine jets. Missiles look smart, a lot of work in them. Derek

T

treyzx10r

Just caught up with this Dave it looks great,nice tight looking mask job!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Just caught up with this Dave it looks great,nice tight looking mask job!
I hope so Trey! I'm using rattle can car paints and they do tend to spread paint everywhere and really do stick to plastic. I'll have some interesting things to say if they bleed under the masking!

A while to go though before that as I want to get all the assembly finished before I paint. With such a simple paint job - white primer all over, mask underneath then light grey on top - that seems to me to be the best way to go.

Gern

P

phikoleoputra

\ said:
I hope so Trey! I'm using rattle can car paints and they do tend to spread paint everywhere and really do stick to plastic. I'll have some interesting things to say if they bleed under the masking!A while to go though before that as I want to get all the assembly finished before I paint. With such a simple paint job - white primer all over, mask underneath then light grey on top - that seems to me to be the best way to go.

Gern
Looking good Gern, are the Phantom's base paint is white for this particular one?

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress Dave , its going to be impressive when its done. Ive used aerosol primer as a finish a good few times , if the colours right why not? seems daft to me to overspray it with exactly the same colour. The tu 160 blackjack was entirely done in halfords white primer and their grey one is a great match for US neutral grey . oh and dont forget the HUD ! cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ooops! Forgot to add the Appliance white for the undersides!

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
With such a simple paint job -
Yeah. Sure.

Except I forgot about the weapons pylons. I gotta fix those before I paint so I can tidy up all the joints and seams - but they've already been decalled! Normally I'd cover the decals with bits of foil or similar, then fix the foil to the surface with masking tape round the edges. I wrapped a bit of polythene around the nose of the fuel tank so that's no problem:

View attachment 88563

But on the pylons, the decals are so close to the edges and space is so restricted I can't do that.

Any idea how I can mask the decals while spraying - and then remove the masking without also removing the decals? They've already been sealed with Humbrol Matt spray varnish but I don't know if this would be strong enough to protect them from any masking adhesive.

Gern

IMGP1370.JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks great Dave. I was so relieved to see you remembered the HUD.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Maybe masking fluid dave? or some Tamiya tape but stick it to your hand first to take some of the tack off so its not too sticky. I'm sure a man of your calibre will sort it (that reminds me , I used to be a circus performer you know, Human Cannonball , loved the job but i got fired (!) after only a week , they said I wasnt the right calibre for the job !!!)ok i'll get me coat , cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gern said:
Yeah. Sure.Except I forgot about the weapons pylons. I gotta fix those before I paint so I can tidy up all the joints and seams - but they've already been decalled! Normally I'd cover the decals with bits of foil or similar, then fix the foil to the surface with masking tape round the edges. I wrapped a bit of polythene around the nose of the fuel tank so that's no problem:

View attachment 89164

But on the pylons, the decals are so close to the edges and space is so restricted I can't do that.

Any idea how I can mask the decals while spraying - and then remove the masking without also removing the decals? They've already been sealed with Humbrol Matt spray varnish but I don't know if this would be strong enough to protect them from any masking adhesive.

Gern
Dave I would use white tac

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. That's got the building part done. Just got to touch up some small gaps on the pylons and then I'll be painting.

View attachment 88962

View attachment 88963

While I'm here, I have another question. I've got another kit on the go (details later) and had to clean up a seam on the canopy. It filed off OK and I used a succession of finer grits to clean the sanding marks. I finished off with some toothpaste - as I don't have any polishing compound - and a soft cloth and got it looking OK. I've heard that canopies can be improved with a coat of Johnson's Clear, so that's what I did - brush painted some on. Does anyone know why my Clear has dried with a faint but very noticeable 'orange peel' effect?

Gern

PS I was sure I'd replied about the decals masking - unless I put it on the wrong post or summat! Not sure which method to use yet, I'll maybe do some spare decals on a bit of scrap using the same paints etc and try out the suggestions.

Built1.JPG

Built2.JPG

S

Sky Raider

Great work Dave, I didn't realise just how big this was till I saw it on the printer. Fantastic...

Andy

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks great Dave. This is going to look the bees knees.