Gern's Phantom

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
OK. That's got the building part done. Just got to touch up some small gaps on the pylons and then I'll be painting.View attachment 89614 View attachment 89615

While I'm here, I have another question. I've got another kit on the go (details later) and had to clean up a seam on the canopy. It filed off OK and I used a succession of finer grits to clean the sanding marks. I finished off with some toothpaste - as I don't have any polishing compound - and a soft cloth and got it looking OK. I've heard that canopies can be improved with a coat of Johnson's Clear, so that's what I did - brush painted some on. Does anyone know why my Clear has dried with a faint but very noticeable 'orange peel' effect?

Gern

PS I was sure I'd replied about the decals masking - unless I put it on the wrong post or summat! Not sure which method to use yet, I'll maybe do some spare decals on a bit of scrap using the same paints etc and try out the suggestions.
I always dip my canopies in the Klear Dave , I have an old Bovril jar full of it (klear not Bovril!!) and holding it at the edge with tweezers just immerse them completely , then take out , let the excess drip off and put on a piece of kitchen roll in the bottom of an old ice cream tub and put the lid on to stop any airborne dust settling on it while its wet . 24 hours later its sparkly clear. Maybe its the brush that caused the marks , the good thing is Klear dissolves in itself so you can get the orange peel off by immersing the canopy and leaving it for an hour or two, then taking out and doing the above. As for the decals on the pylons I reckon Ian has nailed it , white tack sounds perfect to me . cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Tony - I'm going to do just what you said. Soak them in Clear for a while then drain and let them dry in a box with a lid. I have no idea what's caused the Clear to act as it has - maybe I didn't clean off all the toothpaste I used for polishing?

I agree that white tack will probably do the masking I need, but I still want to try a test piece. Some of the decals tore while I was putting them on so I know they're rather delicate.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
OK. I did exactly what you said Tony - and got absolutely nowhere. If anything the 'orange peel' effect was worse.

I've looked at the parts under my magnifier and there is some sort of dirt/grease on the plastic. I've tried the following:

Neat ammonia (recommended for removing Klear)

Two general purpose household cleaners

Windowlene

Washing-up liquid

Liquid hand soap

Concentrated bleach

Vinegar

Any suggestions guys 'cos the dirt is still there!?

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OK try this Dave. Take it back to square one, soak the canopy in klearfor a few hoursvthen when you take it out rinse it in soapy water straight away , this should hopefully get all the klear off it. Then its a case of looking at the plastic and seeing if there's anything left on it like grease, toothpaste etc. Let us know how you get on . tony

S

steve scan

I have brushed the Kleer on my canopies before and had no problem so I agree take it back to the start and I am sure it will come good.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Finally!

I ran through the soap, rinse and dip in Clear again and got the same result. Maybe it's my Clear which is somehow contaminated? I don't know, but .... anyway:

I soaked the parts in neat Ammonia for a few hours then gave them a good scrub with an old toothbrush. It's working and they're almost done now, just a last few stubborn bits to do so they're soaking again.

I've got a rattle can of Halford's Clear Laquer that gives a gloss finish apparently. Has anyone used it or does anyone know why I shouldn't give it a go?

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I would have said that your kleer is reacting with either something on or in the canopy, another possibility is that it is contaminated with something. I have used Halfords Laquer and it was okay, but I used it just on bodywork not clear parts.

Nice work Dave this is turning out to be one rather cool looking build.

Si:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
I would have said that your kleer is reacting with either something on or in the canopy, another possibility is that it is contaminated with something. I have used Halfords Laquer and it was okay, but I used it just on bodywork not clear parts.Nice work Dave this is turning out to be one rather cool looking build.

Thanks Si. I had gathered you thought my last post was OK - I got 7 copies of your 'Like' button!:eek: :smiling3:

Gern

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Thanks Si. I had gathered you thought my last post was OK - I got 7 copies of your 'Like' button!:eek: :smiling3: Gern
:D ...yep, I catch up on stuff so at times folk get a few likes...but that's cos...er...I like it :rolleyes: