Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
the results of having the house to myself all still veeery much WIP:

doors primed and painted ready for swaethering - wanted to use chipping media on the lower part but can't find it.... going to use "u-Rust "media and sponge technique
o7lPsfh.jpg

damgae on the archway - prob a small caliber mortar - will be showing rabar damaged form the blast
0kh6adI.jpg

cYaGpbb.jpg

Started to do the barricaded windows w./ fire slit.
BZ54tIz.jpg

BZ54tIz.jpg

tiling on the balcony floor --one it bulging for some reason - I hope rubble will hide this
7SPLNhL.jpg

details on the balconies have begun to be painted
I struggle a bit with bullit holes - I filled them slightly with celluclay mixed with very fine mortar dust and sprinkle more of that into the hole - the plan is to add a bit of black to the bottom of the hole to add depth and maybe a bit of whithe to the top part of the hole - these are recent holes and that would show.
JlRV1B4.jpg

upper balcony has taken a mortar shot that has caused damage to the sides and floor - lots of visible remnants of the floor and heaps of rebar.....
O9GGlD2.jpg

Cheers for watching

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
rebar added to the archway
ZgkY4oa.jpg

vvaL8G8.jpg

no way near done but I trust you get where I am going - washes and pigments will eventually follow

Next time lets get down to weathering the doors - I got some weathering pencils that might come in handy in that process, (using these form Wilder will be first for me) and then I Will continue to add details to the facade and balcony

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for that,Scottie
Wish I could offer more thematic continuity in the build but i am working to and fro so here's some more assesories- wip tiiiny spots for the signs

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Good Afternoon Gents
Had hoped to mont the balconies during my Autumn vacation but but decided to abandon that idea for the time being as mounting them will make for a very awkward build due to their angular shape, right now the front is lying nice and flat allowing to better fit the details and do general work on the weathering

I have however worked abit on the shattered parts of the balconies adding rebar and the exposed concrete
kWKKyeL.jpg

dpwIaFg.jpg

this one stil needs a bit work getting the area with tiles right is trickey

jC4KXse.jpg

smaller bits will attached to the rebar and be found scattered on the ground.

mounted some cables and an AC unit started adding weathering by adding streaks - more on that tomorrow where the riveting topic sof sandbags and corrugated roofing also will be touched upon.....
RxoU9nO.jpg

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Paul
aside from some pre -shading, I have been using Wilder's weathering Pencils exclusively on the facade and I quite like them, also I am working where the kids sleep ATM which makes anything emitting fumes a nog-go. Also, even though the surface has bee sealed with both the terrain - paste and poly filla, thesre are quite porous in nature and I do not dare using anything solvent - based on this...
overdid it on the top section and will be deleting this but the sections underneath where the balconies will go (masked on the pics) seems to be warrenting some heavy streaks - I am using a mix of "streaking grime" and black
4Avsrdk.jpg
[

Rust....
Sticking with odour -less techniques, i have been using diluted "oxy-grime" from the "U - Rust" set from Ammo applied by sponge on the Arcade roofing trying hard not to overdo it as rust is less prevalent in the Middle East, mind you, the average downpour in Aleppo ,Syria, during the winter and spring is skirting northern European standards, so a little rust on structures poorly maintained and exposed to the Elements, won't go amiss.
dn1s2qF.jpg

Making the ceiling of the arcade more interesting:

As not a whole will be seen of the cieling I did a light job of the weathering but I am thinking of adding a ceiling fan and a fluorescent tube - what do you think?
46aZzdj.jpg

they are not really visible but I have added mounting bolts
MTvCqxP.jpg

Sandbags:​

The building is heavily fortified and sandbags abound - will be at the windows and the doorway in two layers- not much to say good old Milliput - painting them offwhite will test my steady hand with the airbrush and my patience masking the area around.....
ul6HCtH.jpg

close call on one of the bags near the firing slit
N7wSOE3.jpg

Alll for now
Steve

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks for that kind words
Same method as with the corrugated roof used on the body of one of the signs on the front of the arcade
BTW I'm struggling with my DIY decal and is close to abandon the idea of having a shattered neon sign on the front altogether so the below might never be fixed to the arcade
1000001169.jpg

Last edited:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Done resting on my laurals from taking bronze at a recent modelshow
Building:
To my dismay I discovered that the upper balcony is not identical to the lower so I decided to make another
20231112_130443.jpg
More details on this later
Archway:

Building flourescent lights not terribly difficult but I need a lot in this build so I recently ordered this set it's an old Verlinden set and some of the electrical installations are aged but the fluorescent bulbs are nice the two large ones will go on the roof smaller in one of two commercial signs on the facade of the archway
1700135641145.png

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Scottie
Hello Chaps

Archway front signs
I have been struggling with the decals for the shattered commercial signs that will “adorn” the front of the Archway of the Arcade for weeks now – better quality decal paper and better varnish did the trick – the resulting quality of the print is still down to my crappy printer – I need a designated decal printer – please Santa, I have been a really good boy….. I guess the result is acceptable for a Weather – beaten battle damaged sign – second one still in production
20231119_192906.jpg
20231119_192835.jpg

Still need some finishing
The larger signs on the roofing. One is 90% done one is discarded due to being to large ti fit the scene awaiting arrival of new prints from MMA - this will be closer to the mortar hit on the top of the Archway and will display more Shrapnel damage - if you have tips on how to Ahieve this realistically - let me know - will also be posting this on the general forum is I can’t find any posts dealing with this – and oh not forgetting the internet….

Attachments

• 20231119_192906.jpg
    20231119_192906.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20231119_192835.jpg
    20231119_192835.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Scottie
Hello Chaps

I have been struggling with the decals for the shattered commercial signs that will “adorn” the front of the Archway of the Arcade for weeks now – better quality decal paper and better varnish did the trick – the resulting quality of the print is still down to my crappy printer – I need a designated decal printer – please Santa, I have been a really good boy….. I guess the result is acceptable for a Weather – beaten battle damaged sign – 90% done one is discarded due to being to large ti fit the scene awaiting arrival of new prints from MMA - this will be closer to the mortar hit on the top of the Archway and will display more Shrapnel damage - if you have tips on how to Ahieve this realistically - let me know - will also be posting this on the general forum is I can’t find any posts dealing with this – and oh not forgetting the internet….

Archway front signs
I have been struggling with the decals for the shattered commercial signs that will “adorn” the front of the Archway of the Arcade for weeks now – better quality decal paper and better varnish did the trick – the resulting quality of the print is still down to my crappy printer – I need a designated decal printer – please Santa, I have been a really good boy….. I guess the result is acceptable for a Weather – beaten battle damaged sign – second one still in production
View attachment 495698
View attachment 495699
Still need some finishing
The larger signs on the roofing. One is 90% done one is discarded due to being to large ti fit the scene awaiting arrival of new prints from MMA - this will be closer to the mortar hit on the top of the Archway and will display more Shrapnel damage - if you have tips on how to Ahieve this realistically - let me know - will also be posting this on the general forum is I can’t find any posts dealing with this – and oh not forgetting the internet….

Reactions: JR