Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
So, guys with the first of two Syrian civil war dios wrapping up time for the next
As you might know originally planned as a one piece the dio had to be split up and one developed into "a ZU-23 Technical...."
The second will be following the story line from the original which can be found Here
I had been pondering how the storyline could support him being on that roof sneaking up as it were on the BMP and ground personnel and a bit of research gave the answer:
tunneling.
I read about FSA tunneling under a SAA HQ placing and detonating a huge amount of explosives during the battle of Aleppo and how ISIS
took forever to drive from Raqqah due to extensive tunneling making it possible to move troops around the city out flanking YPG forces and sheltering from airstrikes
Thought I might show this tactic- but how?
My plan is to make a street scene with a walled garden section in front showing an entrance partly concealed and by way af making the socket of the diorama be cut away showing the tunnel running underneath and continuing under the street exiting amongst the rubble behind the larger building- maybe showing a rebel crawling out to further bring the point out
I will try to draw the idea later today

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: JR

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Drawing showing the above concept - no, my two year -old did not do this :smiling:
the part of Tunnel going under the road might be lit to show it better - I have some experience in lighting my dios
C&C welcomed

Attachments

• Tegning af idé til syrien dio II - engelsk.jpg
    Tegning af idé til syrien dio II - engelsk.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 30

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steven
Sounds like a plan and if it progresses as well as the other it will be a winner.
Jim

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thanks Jim one concern is that the cut- away element at the front might draw too much attention- Could be moved to be a feature on the side instead showing tunnels branched out to the rear as well
The entrance at the front could be kept adding interest to the front and stimulating curiosity of the wiever as the eye moves over the dio ,satisfied when reaching the side and rear ?

Reactions: JR

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Construction well underway on the second dio based on the idea outlined:

BMP crew believing to be a "secure area" are discussing further route outside the vehicle.
Unbeknownst to them ambush plans are afoot: a recon team is observing the BMP behind a broken wall directing troops moving through tunnels -
Scene is a streetscene with a street corner facing a ruined three story building
The building in the pics below won't be used ( proved to waaay out of scale)

cut - away showing tunnels:
yuts7YY.jpg

Tunnels wil have two excits - this one is behind the wall
siud3MT.jpg

Tunnels will be lit:

oxyztzC (1).jpg

overwiev:
Burned out car is Mig's
figure is to indicate position of one of the recon team members
NLyjhBp (2).jpg
One member will be peering around the wall observing the BMP
AaYnoBC.jpg0C6jmZo.jpg

Attachments

• 8PAeLS6.jpg
    8PAeLS6.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This is looking very interesting, Steven. You don't think small, do you :tears-of-joy: ?
Thanks,
Well my dio's sort of grow, take the end piece of the wall for example, I was planning tp paint the edge black to indicate that it continues "outside the frame" (as does the sidewalk) but I got the idea to make a gate which will be blown askew hanging from one hinge
sUgOce9.jpg
OR4zRJZ (1).jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fantastic Steven.
Every thing thought out and constructed perfectly.
A great idea, has such possibilities. Taking a front row seat.

Steven

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
making some corner - filler : Amo box out of coffee stirrers
Corner section pretty much done in terms of Rubble - gate attached
Videos from the conflict often show tunnel exits that are out in the open camouflaged by being hidden from the prying eyes of the Syrian/Russian air force and the various drones buzzing by, amongst debris or vegetation - or in this case I have tried to do both by adding shrubbery and a corrugated metal plate around the tunnel exit.
L7NGfcc (1).jpg
SiO4wkS (1).jpg
omY41Od (1).jpg
avaKqR4 (1).jpg
XWct0HN (1).jpg