Greatwall Fw189-A2 nachtjager

T

treyzx10r

I'm going to try and pull off converting this to a nightfighter from Ng100 in Griefswald 1945.The kit looks very clean with almost no flash and very few injector pin marks. The office will require some slight mods but nothing too major. I ditched the camera and decided to fill the hole with a panel made from 3 layers of 3m tape

then the rest was pretty straight forward,the rudder pedals are pe as are the seatbelts

I ca'nt find any ref pics of the interior Fug set up so the location as of yet has not been decided, anybody got a clue as to where this might have been mounted?

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice looking kit trey,i like this aircraft alot ,ever since i did the old airfix one years ago. My guess on the radar ops position is probably where the camera operator would have been -in the middle- As for the exact layout ,i think a bit of artistic licence should do fine , unless someone turns up a photo of the interior, cheers tony

J

JFJ

When I opened the thread I was expecting good work and I was not disappointed. Good job Trey.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Tony, still scratching my melon on placement but thats a great suggestion. Ivica,Adrian thanks!

I got a dry fit of the major components and it looks tight, doubt I'll need much filler on this build.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a shufty for a picture but no luck. I've not got much on this aircraft in any form I'm afraid. As for placement,in all other nightfighters the displays from the various types of radar were usually placed close to the operator. I suspect they had to peer into them! If you stick it close to his position you won't be far wrong.

Nice job so far,It looks a decent kit.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looks like a very interesting model, but I don't fancy masking that canopy !!

Regards

Colin M.......

B

Bunkerbarge

Another aircraft with a huge expanse of glass. You're making a cracking job of the interior though so it's going to look superb through the canopy.

T

treyzx10r

Steve ,thanks for taking the time to look,if you could'nt find any interior pics then I must give up hope of finding any.Yes the kit is very decent flash is next to nil and injector pin marks are mostly hidden in the build

thanks Colin,yes even with the kit coming with a mask the canopy is going to be a challenge as there are 80 panes to tape

Spanac thanks

thanks Richard this thing is a flying greenhouse lol

I jumped ahead to the engines ,putting off having to make a decision about the Fug panel placement as long as possible

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful looking engines trey , nice to see ignition leads are included on the PE fret too , are they able to be seen once the nacelles are together? cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I found a couple of images.

From the Fw189 "In Action" a summary of nightfighter features you are already aware of.

And also a view forward from the "radio operator's compartment". I can't identify the equipment on the side of the fuselage,I will try and ask a man who can, but that sort of position may well make sense for the radar display.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

thanks Tony,I'm going to leave the engine access panels open so I hope a good bit of it will still show

Steve you totally rock Dude! Thanks a bunch ,thats a great find and a huge help!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm glad you'll be showing off those engines. The ignition leads look great. I know the routing is correct but I wonder why they ran them over those exhaust manifolds. I suppose the Germans had some good heat resistant insulation.

Terrific work.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Steve, I thought the same thing about the wires . I had a seat left from the ju-88 build that seems to fit okay and got the first fug box in place,taking some artistic license here hope it works. I'm going to scratch another more boxes to go under it and one on the forward side. Any suggestions would be most welcome

F

Fenlander

Beautiful piece of work Trey, as always. Lot of thought and skill going into this one, an unusual subject that will be a pleasure to behold when completed.

Still don't envy you the task of masking the canopies though lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think that's looking very good. The photo I posted is the only reference I've found that gives any idea of what the installation may have looked like. I reckon that you're doing a pretty good representation of that. That seat works well!

I'll join Graham in wishing you luck masking that greenhouse.

Cheers

Steve

J

JFJ

Thats looking brilliatn Trey. Already seeing it turn into a masterpiece.

Adrian

S

Sky Raider

Another one i missed!. Looking fantastic as usual Trey. Keep up the good work mate.

Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on great trey, keep it up . I hope you can give us lots of shots of the cockpit and interior so i can use it for reference when i get round to doing my 1/72 airfix version!! This looks a lovely build though ,and i just know its going to be a cracker when its done. cheers tony