Greatwall Fw189-A2 nachtjager

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Trey that mottle looks amazing, this is going to be one impressive bird, great scratching too on the exhausts! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Trey, to echo both Tony's and Adrian's comments. It is brilliant and amazing...

Very well done, that cammo is just superb.

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great job on that paint and the exhausts look good too.

I think they got a fairly rough and ready spray job too.

They were after all pressed into service as auxiliary night fighters (Behelfsnachtjager). It was never their intended role.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Adrian, thanks Tony glad you liked the exhausts. Thanks Ron and Steve glad to here that about the paint job ,I was taking some artistic license. I wonder what kind of success they had in that role ca'nt seem to find any records of actual shoot downs?

Pushing ahead and feeling a bit better about the build now that the mottle is done. I got the decals finished as well as the gear and flaps in place,weathering will be next. Heres a few more pics

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looks great. I haven't got any specific data for the Hs129 as a nightfighter but there are many claims for air to air victories made by all sorts of units on the Eastern front,particularly by the Romanians. There are also some claims made in North Africa including Spitfires,Hurricanes and P-38s. I understand that these claims don't tally very well with allied losses but this is not unusual.

There role as an auxiliary night fighter on the Eastern Front was really to intercept the Soviet intruders,often almost obsolete biplanes. I expect the problem would not have been engaging and destroying their target but in finding it at all. Late war nightfighters with better onboard radar and a sophisticated command and control system often struggled to find a bomber stream,miles across and many miles long, containing hundreds of large four engined bombers!

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's looking fantastic. Hope that masking comes away OK on the glass house.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Steve thanks for taking the time to share that info,obsolete bipes makes sense as I was wondering what would they be able to chase down with this set up.

Ian thanks ,I'm hopeful as the mask came away clean on the tail cone but I'm not counting my chickens just yet

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
" as I was wondering what would they be able to chase down with this set up."

trey check out the night witches section on this link, amazingly brave women pilots who were probably the target of the fw189 night fighters, cheers tony Soviet Women Pilots in the Great Patriotic War

T

treyzx10r

Tony thanks for the link,I'll be browsing thru it tonight.

Hoooray the masks came away clean! I just have a few details to wrap up and then I'll get some better pics until then heres a few

time for a tall frosty Brew!!!!

S

sprayman

What a fantastic job Trey, a masterpiece to be proud of, beautiful job.:xyxthumbs:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's another little beauty Trey!

I can't remember seeing one so I gotta ask if you've thought about the Revell/Hasegawa 1/48 Ar 234? That would make a lovely addition to your collection of nightfighters.

Gern

F

Fenlander

Great piece of work Trey, that is one weird looking aircraft though lol. Love the spinners on the props. Not an easy one to put together I suspect but as always, you have turned it into another great build.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a cracking job you have done on this Trey.

One of the best aircraft I've seen on here. Well done....Enjoy your beer, you deserve it!

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Trey, that is one well deserved cold beer!! The canopy looks superb ,as does everything else, it really does make a very impressive model. Like graham i love the lemon squeezer spinners too!! cheers tony

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Ray, you're 110 build still inspires me.

Dave thanks you must be a mind reader I'm bidding on a Ar234 as we speak, hope to win it

Graham thanks it was a funky looking bird,other than the canopy mask it was'nt too taxing.

Thanks Ron really appreciate it

Tony thanks did enjoy my cold one

thanks for the kind words Radleigh

Raining and too dark out for some finish photos ,as soon as it breaks I'll post up some better pics! In the mean time I'm starting on a 1/48 scale V2 rocket ,its going to be a father son project so it should prove to be a blast.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Absolutely gorgeous paint job and beautifully built....'nuff said.

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Steve and the pics you found were a huge help, thanks so much for taking the time to hook me up.You're a solid Dude for sure! Heres some better finished pics thanks again for all the kind words and support everyone its much appreciated