H.M.S. HOOD.... A 1/400 JSC Card Model

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I swore I would never again build a ship out of card, but I came across this for £6.00. incl. p/p

As I've always wanted a 1/350 'Hood', but not prepared to pay the daft prices for a plastic one, the temptation to buy this was too great.

I know what I've let myself in for, and what the build will do to my sanity, so that's not so bad, and I've also prepared the swear box too!

...at £6 it can end up in the re-cycling without any tears.
P1260848.JPG

P1260847.JPG

P1260846.JPG

P1260845.JPG

P1260844.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Look on the bright side. If this is as bad as you're expecting, your swear box might soon contain enough pennies for the plastic one...

Yeah! The 1/200 Trumpeter version with all the added goodies!

Was it the Bute ferry you did in card? I seem to remember that came out OK - although I do appreciate there's a lot more involved in this one.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts, chaps. Strange to tell, but I know exactly what I'm in for, yet I'm still going to attempt another. Crazy!

Was it the Bute ferry you did in card? I seem to remember that came out OK - although I do appreciate there's a lot more involved in this one.

It certainly was, Dave, and yes, it did come out o.k.. a ball ache none the less.
Hood is roughly the same construction method, but nearly four times the aggravation.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ron,
The gun barrels are the most difficult part! You're supposed to roll them, from card/thin paper. I tried loads of times & they still looked like Rizla rollies! I made quite a few JSC models & I always substituted plastic rod/tube for the barrels suitably painted ( more paint at the breech end, to simulate taper! )
One thing to really watch is the construction of the longitudinal boxes that make up the basis of the hull - if you don't make them all the same height, the deck will not sit flat! & everything else will follow on................
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the tips Dave. Much appreciated.

I totally agree with you regarding the paper gun barrels, or anything else needing to be cylindrical for that matter!

I use sprue off-cuts for gun barrels. I find them fairly easy to produce a reasonable taper to the barrels, and to scribe. Then just drill the ends out a bit.

In my build for the 'Bute' ferry I rather banged on a bit about the very point you raise about the need for dead on accuracy with the initial box sections for the hull. Get this bit even slightly out and nothing that follows will fit properly.

Thank again for the input - and the reminder!

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ron well i'll be followin this build as its nice to see another warship bein built like im doin an you will get all the frustration and aggravation so cheaply. But for me its costin me an arm an a leg but still enjoyable an all the challanges to come to your moddelerling abilty an if it dont work out you can always bin it lol
chris

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ron,
The Hood is a long ship, so any errors will be magnified compare with a shorter model. I ( tried ) made the JSC 1/250 HMS Lion - either I did something stupid ( likely ), or the instructions were wrong - I couldn't get anything to line up. Problem with the card is that once you commit to glue, that's it. Make a mistake - almost impossible to repair!
You can scan the sheets, and print out replacement parts, but that is not as simple as you may think. To scan at the high resolution needed produces huge files. Scanners rarely produce 100% dimensionally exact copies ( you may get 95% accurate in the x direction & 101% in the Y direction ). You then have to ensure that the printer will print to the exact size. Colour matching is difficult! It can be done, but it's a real slog! In the end you bin it & buy another!
Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys, and thanks for well meaning scanning advise Dave. Way, way over my head, I'm afraid.

I've made a start and here's the tools I'm using.

I rarely use the scalpel. My main cutting tool is the scissors. To score the folds in the card, I use the cutter on the left, it's like a small Stanley knife. As the blade gets blunt, simply snap off the small blunt end. Trust me, card blunts blades for fun, so use the scalpel sparingly. The tweezers are for squeezing the internal tabs together to help the glue stick. The old screwdriver is to push the joints into line. The cocktail stick is to get glue into awkward corners. The steel rule for assisting with cutting long straight lines and the pencil for marking parts in case I forget what is what...... :upside:

Any card, or general purpose glue can be used. I use UHU in the yellow tube.
P1260898.JPG

Here's progress thus far.

Jumping ahead a tad....The pieces are printed on reasonably thick card, but I like to reinforce large areas with extra card. I've used a cereal packet for the hull underside.
P1260905.JPG

The pieces for the hull longitudinal stiffeners and cross frames.
P1260876.JPG

The three base pieces glued together.
P1260879.JPG

...everything nicely marked out.
P1260880.JPG

The stages of a long box stiffener construction.
One end cut out.
P1260877.JPG

Scoured, folded and ready for gluing.
Worth a mention here about scouring. Use the slightest of touches with your knife. Not deep enough, and the fold won't fold! Too deep and you will have two pieces of card in your fingers. The difference in the two cut depth can't be measured, so be very, very careful.
P1260878.JPG

All glued up.
P1260883.JPG

....and glued in place, making sure it is smack on the guide lines.
P1260884.JPG

All the rest fitted and ready for the hull cross frames.
You will have observed this is a waterline model, as are most of the J.S.C. range. I know I would find it impossible to build a full hull straight and true. Leading to frustration and me binning it at the first hurdle.
So I'm playing it reasonable safely.
P1260885.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI RON youre makin wonderfull progress on this model as i must admit i could not build this keep up the nice work an it all looks very complicataited
chris

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I was going to ask if it was full hull but my question has been answered looks like your off to a great start.

D

Deleted member 5496

The Hood. Unquestionably the most attractive war ship produced.

She was used as a British advert visiting ports through out the world before WW11.

Darned Bismark brought that all to an end. But at the age of 3 I brought to bare influence & she got her come u pence.

Got your work cut out there Ron (perhaps cut it out more appropriate). Next one perhaps the Bismark.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Great start. Simple tool kit but each has its job. That's a great way to make the gun barrels. A couple of probably daft questions please. Are the parts just marked for cutting or are they precut/perforated at all? Do you score on the inside or outside of a fold?
Carry on Folding.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

Laurie - No Bismark. I already have the 1/350 in easy plastic - Thank goodness!

Jim - The parts are just printed, so need to be cut out 'By Hand'.
As to the fold cuts, I was asked much the same question when I built the MacBraynes ferry 'Bute'. If the fold is towards you, the scouring is done on the shown dotted line. If it's opposite and away from you, then it's done on the reversed unmarked side. A bit tricky, as you have to transfer the lines onto the back of the card. On some kits, this is already done for you. Luckily, there are usually only a few 'Away from you' folds to do. It is possible to just scour the dotted line and bend it away from you, but the bend is very poor and not chrisp enough.

Here's the hull frames glued in position.
Old Hawkeye will see some are on the wrong side. It makes no difference, as long as they are fixed to the correct dotted lines on the hull base and kept vertical.

P1260887.JPG

Cheers.
Ron