Hasegawa 1/32: Fw 190 D-9 "Red 13"; Platzschutzstaffel JV44

B

BigZimmo

Hi mates!!

Here is Part 3 of a project to represent the complete "Sachsenbergschwarm" in 1/32 scale. It is about the Fw 190 D-9 "Red 13", flown by Lieutenant Klaus Faber.

Kit, as always, by Hasegawa. Colors of Vallejo, Gunze, Mr.Paint and Revell. Decals of Eagle Cals and from the kit. Aging after proven method by washing with diluted oil paints and use of pastels.

The antenna wire is made of stretchable nylon yarn. Everything was sealed with ModelMaster's matte clear coat.

At the moment there's the "Red 1" on my workbench and later the lesser-known and little-documented "Red 2" (a D-11) will be built.

Cheers

Stefan:smiling3:

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (1).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (2).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (3).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (4).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (5).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (6).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (7).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (8).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (9).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (10).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (11).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (12).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (13).jpg

Fw 190 D-9 Rote 13 (14).jpg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Stefan.

But to be honest it's a little difficult to see the pictures properly with the dark background.

T

tommy1drop

Cracking build and finish Stefan, can I ask why there's no swastika on the tail?

B

BigZimmo

Thanks for your kind words, mates!

Tommy, in Germany it is forbidden to show swastikas as a Nazi symbol in public. The more so, since models here are defined as a toy.

Cheers

Stefan:smiling3:

First Name
Robert
Cracking build and I totally understand the reason for not having the swastika on the tail fin. I think this has turned out very well indee and also nice to get a little history too on the D9

I read somewhere that these paint schemes ( red and white stripes underneath were for recognition as the Fw patrolled the skies while the ME262s were taking off and landing ( was this true?

The painting and weathering looks very subtle

Great build

Regards

Robert

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Great work Stefan,always a joy to see such great work,,,,,, very well done, ;)

B

BigZimmo

\ said:
I read somewhere that these paint schemes ( red and white stripes underneath were for recognition as the Fw patrolled the skies while the ME262s were taking off and landing ( was this true?
The painting and weathering looks very subtle

Great build

Regards

Robert
Hi Robert!!

Yes, you're absolutely right. The conspicuous "camouflage" on the underside should help their own flak to identify the aircraft as a friend.

The "Doras" of JV44 had to protect the Me 262 turbos at their takeoff and landing phases. They should clean the air space around the airbase.

:smiling3:

B

BigZimmo

Thanks for your kind words, Monica. When I think of your great figure dioramas, I can only return the compliment.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
A great build Stefan. Any chance of seeing that red camo?

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

That is a very nice 190. I have that one waiting in the wings and if it ends up even half as nice as that, I will be truly stoked.

B

BigZimmo

Thanks, I'm very pleased that you like my "Dora".... :smiling3:

Vaughan....especially for you, mate.....the underside with the "parrot-camo";)......the fuselage underside of Faber's "Red 13" had only white stripes from the motorcowling to the wheel wells.

DSC_0057.jpg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Very nice Stefan, another cracking jv44 Dora did you go for decals on the white stripes or mask and paint?

My 1/48 red 1 has just started to have its decals applied and will hopefully be finished end of Feb, it will be interesting to compare our Red 1s in different scales once their finished (if your doing yours in 1/32 again?)

Looking forward to your next ones, great build mate!

Phil

B

BigZimmo

Thanks, Phil. To realize the "parrot camo" I brushed the model completely white (white primer from Revell), masked the stripes with tamiya tape and brushed red (RLM 23, Gunze) over all.

The "Red 1" is now on my workbench. Yeah, we can make a "Double-Dora-Rollout" in 1/48+1/32 scale....... :D

Good luck for your "Dora".....looking forward to your "Red 1"!!!

Last edited:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Top work Stefan, really like this.