Hasegawa 1/72 Sepecat Jaguar GR1

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
The exhaust areas and nozzles are drying and I'm almost ready for some minor paint work and then a gloss varnish. In the meantime here are the tanks with the holes drilled into the pylons. Tight fit, so there won't be any issues with connecting them later. The apparent paint blemishes are fresh touch-ups still drying. IMG_1126.jpeg

I need to think about how I will simulate the airbrake 'holes'. Maybe drill dents and fill them with a black wash/paint? Or use black painted decal paper? They were probably the worst parts of the kit with raised detail which I sanded down as they looked absolute pants. The holes are small ovals in shape, as seen here on the original beast:
XX732-1979.jpg

Thoughts/ideas anyone?

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Looks great so far Joe :thumb2:

Can’t really think of an elegant solution for the air brakes.

Maybe try the decal option first as that would be the easiest to reverse if it doesn’t look right :thinking:

Geoff.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Drill holes through them at an angle? Tricky to get right, though …
Thanks Jakko, I think holes would have been better but I should have drilled before fitting them to the airframe...

Looks great so far Joe :thumb2:

Can’t really think of an elegant solution for the air brakes.

Maybe try the decal option first as that would be the easiest to reverse if it doesn’t look right :thinking:

Geoff.
I'm inclined to agree Geoff, thanks for replying with your thoughts on this.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pull the bristles from an old paintbrush, crush the ferrule slightly to make it oval, then heat it enough to melt plastic and use it as a punch to make the holes?

Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Pull the bristles from an old paintbrush, crush the ferrule slightly to make it oval, then heat it enough to melt plastic and use it as a punch to make the holes?

Pete
In my youf!!!! I used to have a kilt pin for this type of thing!! (I used it to represent holes from incoming rounds). Heat up the kilt pin and poke it through the plastic!!! It would have been my second option after writing off drilling!!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I did drill the airbrakes out, and then attempted to get the oval shapes by drilling in on an angle. Went okay for the first few rows and then there was a major cock-up resulting in a broken section. So I repaired the holes with filler and repainted the airbrakes. I'll use black decal paper for the holes, or I'll still be trying to sort them out in 12 months time. Aftermarket would be the way to go if I were really particular, but I build for fun so decals it is.

Now glossed up and ready for decals in a few days
IMG_1149.jpeg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I did drill the airbrakes out, and then attempted to get the oval shapes by drilling in on an angle. Went okay for the first few rows and then there was a major cock-up resulting in a broken section. So I repaired the holes with filler and repainted the airbrakes. I'll use black decal paper for the holes, or I'll still be trying to sort them out in 12 months time. Aftermarket would be the way to go if I were really particular, but I build for fun so decals it is.

Now glossed up and ready for decals in a few days
View attachment 482547
Now THAT'S a Jag :smiling3:
Looking superb there Joe....makes me want to build one even more now! Excellent stuff.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Jaguar is completed: