Heller 1/400 H.M.S. Hood.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Mark and Jim. Glad you both like the 'upgraded' main mast.

I've decided it's probably best for folks that I don't go into every bit of alteration in detail, just a quick summary and a couple of pictures where required. Hopefully, this will suffice. Anything different and Jim might well get bored and fall asleep....Ain't that right, Jimbo? ;)

Here we go with the shortened version of the build thus far.

Lousy weather, so I've been able to push on with the build with a reasonably clear conscience......
Here's the forward funnel.
I made the bits up from plastic card and odds and ends from my spares bag.
P1300481.JPG

P1300482.JPG

P1300613.JPG

t'other one next.

Cheers.
Ron

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work Ron, makes such a huge differance

Would not have a clue where to start, its one thing i need to look into

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the very nice posts, chaps.

Rear funnel.
This had some elementary surround, but I beefed it up a bit. The white bits are my plastic card.
P1300487.JPG

This is the kit part. Excluding the white card bits.
P1300488.JPG

P1300589.JPG

P1300590.JPG

The finished funnel surround.
P1300614.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ron, I wasn't sure I was in the right place and was going to ask if you were the right Ron. The scratchery wasn't the usual we know of so where have you hidden Ron you imposter.:smiling2: Jokes aside well done on the major improvements even if you say it's not accurate but it looks alright from where we stand. You've got balls to improve this horrible kit.
Hope you've got the stamina to run the course. BTW I'm a stowaway...lost my ticket for a cabin and have been stoking the boilers down below.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Most excellent funnel improvements.
Hopefully, this will suffice. Anything different and Jim might well get bored and fall asleep....Ain't that right, Jimbo?
Me, fall asleep when there is the prospect of a whole herd of Zulus charging down off the hill or Mrs "Chucker" Ron launching the whole thing skywards - no chance :tongue-out3:
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Doing the extras is hard work, but to leave it.......

Richard. I suppose a similar analogy to the 'Hidden Scratchery' Ron, is the fact that I have a pair of nipples, and should I have become pregnant, then I would have been be able to have a bash at the job in hand. ;) Needs must and all that sort of thing........

Jim, seeing your funny post has reminded me that my Rorke's Drift diorama has yet again been knocked to the floor and the Zulus were indeed charging down hill. :sad-face:
Also, I really must get a grip and finish the aircraft ramming thingy I've been doing, or the missus will loose her chucking ability you mentioned.

Ron

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The forward bridge was by far the worst for detail - Save for two very faint window outlines, an almost a complete lack of it!

On this the lower section, you can just make out the portholes, vents and where the life-rafts go. That's it.
The upper deck surround is moulded in. The lower one, I made out of a thin strip of plastic card. I need to make many more of these surrounds as I don't want the crew walking off the edge of the decks. Let this one suffice to show the lack of detail.
Apart from the surrounds, I added card doors and windows etc. The windows I painted on with a cocktail stick.
P1300485.JPG

You can see the windows here. I also added a load more 'Bits' which I won't bore you with. But they all helped to liven the thing up a tad.
P1300607.JPG

P1300608.JPG

P1300609.JPG

There is still more to add to this, but it's a start.
...and I need a break!

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The tripod mast legs are a tad too short, so I scrapped the kit one and made me another set out of sprue.

Also the star thingy arms which sits on top of the legs are too short, so I extended these using plastic card. (Not much card left now!)

Top of the 'Star'
P1300484.JPG

...underside of same.
P1300483.JPG

I found the easiest way to paint all the very small windows is to first paint a dark grey band where the windows are to go.
P1300585.JPG

Then with a cocktail stick, paint in the light grey surrounds. Leaving the darker grey windows.
P1300612.JPG

Here is the finished assembly fixed to the bridge structure.
P1300659.JPG

P1300667.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
1625429149513.png

More water 570 that rums a bit tasty.

Very nice mast thingy , your were right to do the alteration you'd never like it.

Yours 453.
Hospital Wing bed 6.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Ron,

I have been watching silently on this, but I have to say you have done a fantastic job on the scratcheritus here. Most excellent work Sir!!! I knew deep down that you would finally take that big step to improve this kit and it worked. A tip of me hat to you!!!...

If I may, a word to our good friend 453 aka Dude2,

John, there is no drain plug under there and you don't have to change the oil in a chair. Maybe the KIA, but not the chair.............

Prost and welcome to the dark side Ron
Allen

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for the excellent comments, boys.

Allen, I have it on good authority that the image posted of 453 was taken from a security camera mounted high up in his cell. It shows him looking for a sound devise he is certain has been planted on his Commode and not him working on an imaginary car!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.

The front breakwater thing was way too 'Heavy', so I cut it down by half, reshaped it and added smaller wings and a couple of access doors.

The kit one. You can just make out my pencil line where I will cut it to. Then add more of an angle to the face of it.
P1300644.JPG

Modified.
P1300654.JPG

P1300656.JPG

P1300658.JPG

Fitted, along with a second set abutting 'B' Turret.
P1300665.JPG

Cheers.
Ron