Heller's 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date
I'm a little late to the party here, but this is really quite phenomenal. Mostly I'm cheerfully trying to paint straight lines on budget aircraft kits and am just considering a little weathering. I am really very surprised how authentic the rust and wear on this kit look. I'm following with interest along with everyone else!

Jambo

First Name
Marc
Good work on those suspension wishbones Ken. Looking very nice. Its nice to hear its taking 2 hours per side. It shows that you are really putting alot of effort into this build..well done mate

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I got £100 off my boss for xmas so ordered some gold leaf for the infamous ship a 1/16 revell VW Karmenn Ghia and managed to find German 1/8 machine gun for this dio 29.99 (bit pricey and it's not even a kit) I figure the effort I've put into this and the cost of the kit it will be worth it (yes it's a German machine gun but I figure they could have stolen it)

D

Deleted member 3568

Well I've been told again I'm ruining "an expensive kit, I can't understand why someone would do this to such a beautiful kit" maybe I'm wrong, they did say no offence, but I felt so strongly I had to mention it, that's twice am I doing something terrible to this kit, anyone who knows me knows I like weathered or different to the box or instructions, I find it weird how I get lots of people saying it's great and others saying I'm ruining it, are the people saying it's great just being kind, I mean the people saying it's rubbish have nothing to gain saying that, it's not too late to strip it all off and do a showroom kit of it (admittedly would be awkward but not as awkward as when its all permanently glued together, there is nothing I can't unglue yet and no paintwork I can't strip, please honest amswers am I ruining this kit (caveat) I won't do original colours if I strip it, it will be candy colours as a custom job.

First Name
Robert
Ok Ken I can only speak from my own experience on what I have heard about this vehicle from others.

I only hear positive vibes from this forum on your skills to date on what you have acheived. If I could reproduce the time and effort in a wetheing mission like you have I would be proud ( never ashamed or guilty and I would never let others guide me into the wrong choice.

If anything Ken I would agree with your skills getting better and your influencing quite a few modellers on here positively.

We all on here ask guidance and advice but at the end of the day it's our model and we show a bit of ourselves in the kit build and paint stage.

Here's an e.g

I started out again in model kits with aircraft that's all I did then I progressed into armour and figures but I thought my skills were poor. I join here and my skills have increased slowly , my technique. I've spent a lot of hard earnt cash on kits and thrown a lot away, but not now my skills are getting better and I'm more patient with my modelling. I take what others say but with a pinch of salt as I'm not building this kit for them it's for my pleasure.

Personally Ken I'm glad I joined this forum and not build just what the manufacture suggested

I enjoy your builds and how you get into the depths of the kits and show wear and tear beyond any others I've seen

Kindest regards

Robert

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all I've pretty much had it with car kits, Ive been told I'm ruining a classic kit, again, feeling pretty deflated now, I thought this was some of the best work I had done. will stick to ships in the future.

Paul Davies

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
\ said:
Hi all I've pretty much had it with car kits, Ive been told I'm ruining a classic kit, again, feeling pretty deflated now, I thought this was some of the best work I had done. will stick to ships in the future.
You haven't ruined it. Your doing amazing work with it. So what if it not shiny. If its what you wanna do go for it

F

Fenlander

Right, let's get this straight. Building a kit the way you want cannot be ruining it. Every technique there is available in this hobby gives us the tools to portray kits in whatever way we want to whatever level we are capable of.

Don't feel deflated because you are demonstrating good modelling skills. Maybe not everyone likes the end result, that is their personal choice but that is not your problem.

I personally could not do what you are doing with this because I don't have the skill set or the artistic vision to do it. Having said that, I wouldn't have the skills to make it as a showroom finished car either. But, if I could pick a skill set to be able to have endowed upon me, it would be the ability to do with it what you have.

Keep going Ken, you are doing a fine job.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well this will be my last post on this one till at least next friday as off for the funeral in Scotland tomorrow.

I broke and lost part of the steering last night so had to make a new bit

Mb6lhoS.jpg

7LIJZQK.jpg

MyrV3j0.jpg

jWoffus.jpg

gave the bottom another coat of muck and added a bit of grease

EA8U8eh.jpg

3FS6ZDM.jpg

cgcCUGk.jpg

YbBkY8v.jpg

also (although my art days are way behind me nowadays)(and I never could do portraits)this is supposed to be Rene from Allo Allo, he will be behind a dirty window in the dio so I may get away with it, if not there's always plan B.

fXqV3Le.jpg

wQJtjsv.jpg

F

Fenlander

Love it lol, great portrait of one of my favourite characters.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Ken......... Pretty much anyone can, with a little effort, and able to follow the instructions, produce an out of the box kit, with a nice shiny body. What you've done on this has taken real skill and a lot of knowledge. This nice shiny ones with that "Fresh, Just Out of the Showroom look" can be good........ But this is much more like how you'd see an old motor tooling around Lyon or Marseille ......... The rusted, got dirty and pissed oil everywhere. You're building it how you want......... So, ignore whoever is carping on about "Ruining it" and keep going mate......... This is a real cracking job you are doing. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

possible background may change a bit don't know till I start this is drawn to 1/8 scale measuring our doors and the hight of our sills.

y82KzrH.jpg

H

HCR TJSteel

That car looks awesome, you must have spent ages making it look like it's been left out to rot. I'm only on my first build but think I may have to try the rusty old banger look on one of my models when I get better at it. Can't wait to see it finished.

Oh and ignore the trolls, the internet is full of them, it's your model, there's no law saying you have to build it one way or the other. If you went for the showroom finish it would look right out of place in the scene you have planned for it. Plus its from the 50's, it's supposed to have rust on it.

D

demon

Ken don't take any notice of anyone that is rude enough to say your ruining it your not

Just build the way you like it to look just my opinion and I suspect the majority :smiling3:

Rog

First Name
Marc
Wow ken. All i can say is the people who are giving you grief over this build aren't modelers. They are kit builders.

You sir are an amazing modeler, your artistic vision is clear to see on this masterpiece. If you give up doing works like this because of a bunch of idiots who have no vision or flair, then im going to be annoyed at you because your work is stunning and as far as model making ia concerned is the best i have seen in my lifetime.

We are not being yes men ken on this forum. Its a simple case of awsome work being recognised for what it is. Truly

First Name
Robert
Hi Ken, I disagree with whoever said your ruining this kit or whatever kit you do, they clearly don't know your skill levels.Your skill levels are far beyond anything that anyone on this site can recreate.. In saying that I mean your way of thought on weathering is far beyond most of our talents, which is individual to everyone.I feel with a bit of good old fashioned skill set anyone can bodge a kit together and make it look like what's on the box lid ( we all try our best eh? )

You see the kit differantly, you have built it and created something far beyond imagination ( in my view)

My last build was on a Panzer IV and I chopped the wheels and wrecked the tank as I wanted to depict a destroyed AFV. In this I learnt a lot of skills from others, ( you included ). People could have said its wrong but they didn't and I'm grateful to all those who helped in my builds

I feel you should be proud of what you create and do and even the Rene pic is blooming awesome.

My wife built an Airfix 1/72 P51 ( daddy's girl) about 4 yrs ago and painted it by hand and I was a little critical at first of it but this did not deter her and she made it very well ( even partly weathered it too and it sits proudly on my display, all her own work.Her dad used to call her wee daddy's girl and she built it in memory of him.

I would like to see more of your authentically reproduced vehicles, it it be motorbike, boat, car, tank etc

It's your modelling skills I believe make forums like this look great and give so much back.

Kindest regards

Robert