Heller's 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant

• Thread starter Deleted member 3568
  • Start date

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I know what you mean about getting bored Ken....... Long arse builds can get a bit tedious...... But you`ve done some fantastic work on this you have to see it through:smiling3:

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Ken, apologies that I have missed this been really busy of late and only been looking at planes and the odd tank and dio when I've had the chance.

My word!!! This is looking incredible mate, honestly your doing a blinding job and showcasing some decent techniques. Are you still looking to make a dio or just the build itself?

Also good to hear you made some decent dough from your boats.

Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Phil

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
What's your method and what do you use for weathering on the tyres? Excuse my ignorance but I take it the tyres are rubber? That spare is spot on mate, looks so realistic

D

Deleted member 3568

Yes they are rubber, I use my favorite method for weathering plastic and rubber, I'm pretty sure I showed it on thebattery on th is kit I also used it on the 1/6 Honda cb 750 f airbox and on the 1/6 gsx in fact all the bikes I used this method the only difference on the tyres is I used less of the mig abt 180 copper oxide blue patina and more of the sludge in my brush cleaning white spirit bottle ( I always keep a little bottle which I clean my brushes in, which I keep topped up) (everyone should have a bottle like this, I use it every day for weathering or blending or general grungeing up.

First Name
Robert
Hi Ken loving the work so far ......... Bloody brilliant.

The spare tyre ( I may be being picky here but most cars I have owned and when either cleaning the car or getting the spare there always seems to be a layer of dust on the rims and on the metalwork ( or am I just pointing out something not worthy.

Just a thought?

Robert

D

Deleted member 3568

mate you can point out what you like I love constructive critisisum ? (brain freeze) as opposed to morons saying stuff like oh that nut should be AF not Metric , tbh I dont have the foggiest how to replicate the dust, but, since the spare will never be seen, it will just have to suffice as it is.

First Name
Marc
This is artwork. Truly amazing work. I have a suggestion with the spare wheel. Use small amounts of flour.

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well this is going on over be left for a while to let me cool off (I came sooooo close to throwing it against the wall) went to fit the wings and complete radiator as you saw I did in the last update and with those in place tried a fit of the bonnet (no chance 6 mill gap at the front, or back depending on where you want the gap) after several minuets of scratching my head I figured out what the problem was there was a gap all around the top of the firewall of about 2 mill, lift the front of the car a bit gap disappears and the bonnet fits perfect (I think the floor pan is bent) (I know the back part is but thought I would sort that when I finally glued it on) so lifted the front of the car glued the firewall to the body let it dry, released the body and the bottom of the firewall came away from where that was glued (too much stress I guess ) after a very fidely application of glue to that area, mahoosive amounts of taping to hold it there, let that dry undo the tape all fits perfect, just start applauding myself for sorting it and ping gap at the top again. How I stopped myself I don't know, but I didn't throw it, I don't want to come that close again so having a break for a little while.

First Name
Marc
Ken. You have done exceptionally well to get the finish you have, and the progress you have achieved in the time you have.

I'm not suprised that you felt like flinging the model at the wall. It's only taken you 3 months you must of been on this model most nights and weekends. It's taken me 8 months to complete the 300sl build and it's no where near as complex and detailed as your build.

I find in order to get the enjoyment out of modeling, no more than a couple of hours a week for me. And even then I try to just enjoy the process and take my time as a posed to looking forward to getting it finished.

Take a week off, go back to it with one job in mind and a time limit of 2 hours pack it away again and leave it for a week and come back to it. You will start to enjoy it more. Honestly you will, and the end results will be reflected in the model

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi all well I've figured it out, On the ladder frames which you slide the subframe on the sub frame was about a mill away from end of the ladders which through everything else out unfortunately that part was stuck with a capitol S but with a lot of jiggeling I've moved it the mill required so now back to work, I've added the inner roof lining and weathered it.

aL6HCIW.jpg

rZwilCN.jpg

1W6CYyH.jpg

for some reason the weathering is not showing up in the pics very well, trust me it looks very grubby.

D

Deleted member 3568

Thanks mate, I am back on it again but I have to say not with the same enthusiasm, I feel it is beyond my abilities, looking at your finished build, you put so much detail and effort into your builds (which is why they take so long ) I just throw them together, I'm feeling this is probably just a bridge too far.

First Name
Marc
Please don't be discoraged. I think that you honestly have done an amazing job on this. Just do some modeling when you want to do it.

N

noble

Hi Ken I've just caught up with this and I have to say mate, this is just WOW those engine bay shots actually look real.

scott

D

dougie

Yes this is looking fine, patience and a clear head every time you get it out and it will come together nicely