Hello all, total newbie, looking to learn

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, signed up a few days ago, and thought it was about time I introduced myself.

I'm completely new to model making so have a lot to learn, but there seems to be tons of great information to be found here. I spray cars for a living so am not new to paint, but haven't used an airbrush before so am looking forward to learning that skill in particular.

I picked up a little Spitfire kit to get the ball rolling but I was immediately surprised by how much gear I need to get going. I bought a cheap airbrush to start off with, thinking I could use my existing compressor, but at 96dB it's just way too loud for working in the evening out in my shed / man cave, so have ordered a cheap one of those too. I'm trying to keep investment low for now until I'm sure I want to dive deeply into the hobby, so cheap Chinese stuff will have to suffice.

I'll not drone on for too long but I'm glad to have found this place as I think it's just what I need as I feel my way around my first few simple models.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Andy. Ask any questions you have, The only bad question is the one you don't ask. Don't forget the search facility too. Loads of info already on the forum.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
Welcome to the forum you have found a great place to be. You will get a whole lot of help if you want it and support, plus a whole lot of friendly banter.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Welcome to a great, friendly forum. Take your time and enjoy learning about the hobby.
Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

I've already spent a while searching and looking around but I'll be sure to post up any questions I can't find an answer for.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Andy,
This is a real friendly forum - beginners to experts. Ask any questions - so you don't fall down the holes we have already occupied!
I'm from Sheffield originally - High Storrs, but have moved around a lot since then!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Dave.

I was brought up in the Abbeydale / Millhouses area so not too far away. Unlike you I've stayed fairly close to home though, currently living in Gleadless.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A warm welcome from me Andy.
It's all been said about the forum, as far as I'm concerned the No 1 .
Look fwd to seeing you around, we all started once, and all asked the same questions, so don't worry as none of them are pointless.
John .

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, signed up a few days ago, and thought it was about time I introduced myself.
Welcome to the forum :smiling3:

I was immediately surprised by how much gear I need to get going.
I’ve said it before, but the only gear you really need, is a good hobby knife, plus glue and some paint and brushes, of course. Pretty much everything else falls into the “nice to have but not essential” or “luxury” categories :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Welcome to the forum Andy.
Hope we can help to get you started off in the crazy world of model making:upside:

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi mate, glad to see another new face......you’ll like it here!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and welcome.
If you can spray paint a real car I am sure an airbrush will not be to hard to get to grips with. Just a lot smaller. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Welcome to the forum :smiling3:

I’ve said it before, but the only gear you really need, is a good hobby knife, plus glue and some paint and brushes, of course. Pretty much everything else falls into the “nice to have but not essential” or “luxury” categories :smiling3:

Thanks. That makes perfect sense although since airbrushing is what is drawing me in the most I figured I might as well get a few bits together for that too. I have tended to be a gear freak in past hobbies so really need to keep a check on that. Looking at some of the desk set ups around here I'm like a kid in a candy store! :smiling5:

Hi and welcome.
If you can spray paint a real car I am sure an airbrush will not be to hard to get to grips with. Just a lot smaller. :smiling3:

I'm hoping so.

Starting with a cheap knock off probably isn't doing me any favours, and it's something I strongly advise against in my industry, so it probably won't be long before I get something a bit better. I'm a huge Iwata fan and own several of their spray guns so that would be a logical path, but the flexibility of the H&S airbrushes really appeals too. Being able to swap around nozzle sets and cup sizes to suit a particular job is a feature I'm used to with full size guns so that may sway me.

This is the sort of spray booth I normally work in:

HeD5OJ1.jpg

33dQrAe.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks. That makes perfect sense although since airbrushing is what is drawing me in the most I figured I might as well get a few bits together for that too.
You do have the advantage of already having the skill, albeit for larger things — I get the impression that quite a lot of beginning modellers see well-sprayed models and think an airbrush is essential equipment without realising the skill it takes to use one even moderately well.

I have tended to be a gear freak in past hobbies so really need to keep a check on that. Looking at some of the desk set ups around here I'm like a kid in a candy store! :smiling5:
We’ve got a thread about that :smiling3: The thing to remember, though, is that for many people what you see there will be what’s been accumulated over years or decades — I know mine is.

Being able to swap around nozzle sets and cup sizes to suit a particular job is a feature I'm used to with full size guns so that may sway me.
What kind of models do you intend to build? Chances are you won’t need to use different sizes of paint cup: I mostly build 1/35 scale military vehicles, and find that even the smallest cup that came with my Aztek A470 holds enough paint for an entire model, for example, never mind the different colours in a camouflage pattern. Being able to easily change the nozzles for wider or finer spraying is very useful, though.

D

Deleted member 7181

What kind of models do you intend to build? Chances are you won’t need to use different sizes of paint cup: I mostly build 1/35 scale military vehicles, and find that even the smallest cup that came with my Aztek A470 holds enough paint for an entire model, for example, never mind the different colours in a camouflage pattern. Being able to easily change the nozzles for wider or finer spraying is very useful, though.

Good call. I'm already worrying too much about the little things! I guess I just need to crack on and get a few builds under my belt. That should show me what I really need :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello Andy. Welcome to the Forum.
Join in and have fun.
Can't help with A.B.'s advise, I use brushes.

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
Most quality airbrushes have the facility to swap nozzle/needle and paint cups. I know my Iwatta does :thumb2: I think a decent air supply is almost as important though. Smooth air means smooth paint.