vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Welcome to the forum Andi
Thank you very much.
Welcome Andi.
Bavaria and soldier: mountain troops?
Thank you, no, I'm not a mountain person. Too much trouble to get up there - and then you have to come back down again at some point! :smiling5:
I was Fallschirmjäger (Paratrooper / Paracadutisti ) - gravity does all the work!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Thank you very much.

Thank you, no, I'm not a mountain person. Too much trouble to get up there - and then you have to come back down again at some point! :smiling5:
I was Fallschirmjäger (Paratrooper / Paracadutisti ) - gravity does all the work!
Madness!! Why jump from a perfectly serviceable aircraft is beyond me!!! Pure madness!!! (Hope the pay was good!!!!)
Almost as insane as divers. If the big man had intended us to swim with the fishes we would have gills and not lungs!!!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank you very much.

Welcome again Brother!
Steve

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I'm not a mountain person. Too much trouble to get up there - and then you have to come back down again at some point! :smiling5:
You have just summed up one of the major reasons why mountain-climbing would not be the hobby for me: I would look for mountains to climb that have a road, cable car, or whatever at the top that I could take back down. (The other main one is fear of heights, which would kind of be a drawback as well ;) )

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
Madness!! Why jump from a perfectly serviceable aircraft is beyond me!!! Pure madness!!! (Hope the pay was good!!!!)
Bell UH-1D, CH-53G, Transall - our fleet wasn't exactly modern. We always sayed ourselves that it would be much safer to get out than risk a landing. :smiling5:
The pay was actually rather poor.
Welcome again Brother!
Steve
Thank you again. Steve, can I ask you what unit you were in?
You have just summed up one of the major reasons why mountain-climbing would not be the hobby for me: I would look for mountains to climb that have a road, cable car, or whatever at the top that I could take back down.
Exactly my opinion.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Bell UH-1D, CH-53G, Transall - our fleet wasn't exactly modern. We always sayed ourselves that it would be much safer to get out than risk a landing. :smiling5:

Thank you again. Steve, can I ask you what unit you were in?

Exactly my opinion.
Originally 3 Para!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I was allowed to practice with British paras a few times. I just checked, my British wings was awarded to me by 4 Para.

View attachment 507227
Not just qualified to jump from your own aircraft but ours too!! Barmy!! ;) :cool: - Twice as barmy!!
Mind you, a friend of mine transferred from the Royal Navy to the Para’s. Yup. He too was mad!!! :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So, sort of like that part in Band of Brothers where the real ones talk about how they ended up in a paratroop unit? ;) “It pays ten cents (or somesuch small amount) extra per day.” “I’m in!”

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So, sort of like that part in Band of Brothers where the real ones talk about how they ended up in a paratroop unit? ;) “It pays ten cents (or somesuch small amount) extra per day.” “I’m in!”
Para pay was worthwhile back in the mid-60's! Hardly given currently (to save the cash required for MP's pay rises, benefits and pensions I suspect!)
Steve :money-face:

vizenz

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andreas
I don't remember the exact amount, but it was about 100 euros a month - before taxes! Not a big step to becoming rich and famous. :smiling6:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
My first pay in 1983 was 1000 Italian Lire (50 cents, maybe 52 :rolling: in today's €) per day. Not a big step towards richness and fame too but a giant leap towards an enviable suit size ;) :tongue-out3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My first pay in 1983 was 1000 Italian Lire (50 cents, maybe 52 :rolling: in today's €) per day. Not a big step towards richness
Almost ten years after that, I had a bet with someone in school, “for a tenner.” I don’t recall what the bet was about, except that I claimed something and he claimed it was otherwise, then bet me that he was right. He wasn’t. He then took his wallet from his pocket, opened it, dug around, and gave me a 10 lira coin he had from a recent holiday in Italy … I wasn’t the only one there who felt he was unfairly weaseling out of having to pay ten guilders (in modern money, no inflation correction: about €4.50). That coin was worth about one guilder-cent at the time, as I recall.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My mate reckons he recalls the Singapore rate of exchange (in the late 60's - 70's) was one over-priced drink per Whiskey Dolly! I thought it was less than that ...
Steve