Hello from North Wales

First Name
Richard
I have been a model collector for about 20 years now, but I decided right from the start to stick to one scale, and I chose 1:43 (I know about the 1:43 scale forum and am a member, they concentrate mainly on road vehicles). I like to collect anything as long as it is that scale. You can't always get things at that scale though, for instance construction equipment, but you can now get some at 1:43, mainly from China, but I will sometimes buy 1:50 and alter to 1:43. For instance, I bought one of those massive open cast mining machines, a wheel loader (bulldozer), at 1:50 scale and altered the cabin and steps to 1:43 and it looks fine. I've also made an excellent start on converting a 1:48 scale kit of the Apollo 11 lunar module to 1:43 scale. When you do things like that you automatically end up making improvements.

From my model collecting I got into model railways when I discovered 1:43 scale was O scale. Unfortunately I then discovered that American O scale was at a smaller scale, 1:48, although still the wheels fit on the same track (as per OO and HO scale). So more converting projects, but I did manage to get a model maker to produce one of his 1:48 locomotive kits at 1:43 scale for me. I realise my best solution is to go down the 3D printing root, for that and for airplanes aswell at my scale.

I have recently been getting into model ships, some kits out there are at my scale. Oooo, some of the models I would love to get at 1:43. How about a space shuttle? A Saturn V would need a hole in my ceiling, but I've actually made a start on scratch building the smaller Saturn 1B. Anyway, that's me folks.

Rich

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rich,
welcome! You'll see that this forum, unlike others, covers all genres of models, scales & materials - you are certain of finding some modellers with the same interest, and pick up new techniques and tips!
Dave

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome Richard ,there's quite an influx of 1/43 scale builders at the moment - look forward to seeing your results!
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the fun factory.
Hope that you enjoy it here.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELCOME Rich an yes please love to see a 1/43 scale lunarmodule an the space shuttle as it make me angry really to think they have stuck it in a musesum an there is already Steven on here building a 1/48thth saturn v an yes he needs a hole in the ceilin lol an i used to do real rocketry to fly them up to a 1000 ft or so an recovery by parachute
chrisb mtb

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome! I was only in N/NW Wales last week for a family holiday. My first time there and a lovely part of the world too.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Richard.......1-87 scaler myself (HO).......love to see some of your past and current projects.....post 'em up when you figger out how to work the threads. :thumb2:

First Name
Richard
Wow, thanks for the welcome folks. I'll have a go at some photos at some point.

Boatman - goodness, there's a guy on here building a 1:48 scale Saturn V. I'll hunt that out. Just for information I did a visual comparison of 1:48 and 1:43 scale, let's see if I can post photos:-
1.43 v 1.48 (599 x 437).jpg

Gosh you used to do real rocketry. Fascinating. I like making models move but what I really like is making them actually model the movement of the real thing. If your rocket is actually a scale model of the real thing, like the Saturn V, I would love to see it launched in a controlled manner so that it slowly accelerated off the pad as opposed to shooting off like a firework :smiling3: I recently discovered some airplane flying modellers are actually modelling the movement of the real things. Trouble is in order to achieve that they have to be very light so it can't be done outside. Below is an example, they accelerate off a bit sharpish from stop on the runway but the rest of the movement is beautifull to watch, especially coming into land. An excellent effort at realism:-

Do any other folk on here enjoy making their models move?

Andrew - glad you enjoyed North Wales.

Mini-Me - will do. If in modelling that scale it means you do anything with model railways, the best railway modeller I know of at that scale is this French guy. On first seeing this video I thought it was the real thing:-

Rich

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Wow, thanks for the welcome folks. I'll have a go at some photos at some point.

Boatman - goodness, there's a guy on here building a 1:48 scale Saturn V. I'll hunt that out. Just for information I did a visual comparison of 1:48 and 1:43 scale, let's see if I can post photos:-
View attachment 460400

Gosh you used to do real rocketry. Fascinating. I like making models move but what I really like is making them actually model the movement of the real thing. If your rocket is actually a scale model of the real thing, like the Saturn V, I would love to see it launched in a controlled manner so that it slowly accelerated off the pad as opposed to shooting off like a firework :smiling3: I recently discovered some airplane flying modellers are actually modelling the movement of the real things. Trouble is in order to achieve that they have to be very light so it can't be done outside. Below is an example, they accelerate off a bit sharpish from stop on the runway but the rest of the movement is beautifull to watch, especially coming into land. An excellent effort at realism:-

Andrew - glad you enjoyed North Wales.

Mini-Me - will do. If in modelling that scale it means you do anything with model railways, the best railway modeller I know of at that scale is this French guy. On first seeing this video I thought it was the real thing:-

Rich
HI Rich im afraid our rockest are like you say like a firework but it was great fun watchin them go up an then the parachute opening as it came down got some photo of my rockect launches in stevens 1/48 saturn v build if you look throgh it very good his build is an his one has a lot bigger engine than we used as his one will fly when he fininshes it an its here in the link if it works that is

Real Space subjects Under Construction

Threads 14 Messages 627
[IMG alt="StevenRB"]https://www.scale-models.co.uk/data/avatars/s/8/8388.jpg?1603622292[/IMG]
1/48th Scale Saturn V
Community platform by XenForo® © 2010-2022 XenForo Ltd.

chrisb mtb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
(rich quote)

HI again Rich yes my HMS TIGER C20 moves as its all R/C on 14 cha's T/X but it still bein built but my HMS NORFOLK F230 sails very nice an some pics on here in ships section an here a shot of my HMS NORFOLK with workin features pic taken off my old laptop an this is built in 1/72 scale an 6ft long
with workin merlin helicopterin 1/72 scale also below an main an tail rotatars all work an this chopper is fitted on norfolks flightdeck but can be removed an taken off IMG_3737.JPG

chrisbmtb P1020205.JPG

Last edited:
First Name
Richard
Boatman - Excellent, the Saturn V and a thread on the 1B aswell. That will be a great help when I eventually get back to that project. I found the video of the 1/10th Saturn V launch, and actually I remember seeing that before some years ago. What an achievement, that must have been exciting to be there. I bet they were worried all the different shutes would get tangled and collapse on the way down. I found your 1/72 scale ship thread and thanks for helicopter photo and glad it works, although I expect you don't mean it can actually fly. Rotors turning whilst sitting on a working ship, smoke coming out of ship's funnel, guns turning, brilliant.