Hello

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Hi all,I'm Dale, new member. Have a stash of really old (99p!) model kits from years ago when my dad passed. I built a few as a lad, and would like to get back into it. Now to find time and motivation! Hoping being here will help. Very impressed with the quality of the builds and work I've seen so far. That's about it. Oh. 51. M. Suffolk. Do I need to add that?

Cheers!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dale,
welcome to the forum - feel free to ask any question, you'll get an answer!
What are your interests? Aircraft, tanks, ships? & what have you got stored away in your stash?
Dave

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Dale,
What are your interests? Aircraft, tanks, ships? & what have you got stored away in your stash?
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I intend to pursue WWII military modelling primarily. I like tanks, AFV's and vehicles. I'd like to improve my figure modelling too, to compliment the vehicles.
I'm sure I'll be asking questions soon, but I have a wealth of knowledge already in the forum to search through too.
As for the stash - I'll try to post a list at some point, but there are a lot. I have five large boxes full of models, stacked over six feet high in a cupboard. They're all old kits, mainly from the 70's on. Tamiya, Italerai, Airfix and so on. Lots of different kits. Tank, AFV, Aircraft, figures, ships etc. A few rarer ones (I think?) like a mounted Bengal lancer, and some of the old 54mm samurai figures. A couple of 1/32 Airfix planes too.
The only issue I can see with kits that age are the decals. They may have degraded, but I can workaround with home-printed, generic decal sheets and weathering, tarps and so on over the top (I hope!).
I've certainly got enough to fill many years of modelling to come...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds like you have a wide range to cut your teeth on there. If you get really stuck with decals have a look at aftermarket sets . There is an almost infinite number of sets out there for a huge range of subjects.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Sounds like you have a wide range to cut your teeth on there. If you get really stuck with decals have a look at aftermarket sets . There is an almost infinite number of sets out there for a huge range of subjects.
Thanks Tim. I think as first resort I'll try a high-res scan and print with decal paper (i'll be searching the forum sometime soon for best paper recommendations). This will probably be as cheap, and if I mess it up I can try again. I did try one of the old decal sheets with a Microsol product, but it wasn't a roaring success. Back to the drawing board!
Edit - if that fails I'm sure to be back for help and advice with aftermarket decal sheets, thanks.

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN A Welcome from me too Dale hope you like it on here as ive only been here two yrs but loveing every second of it as these guys talk every day an help you if you have a problem not like some forums where you might get an answer once a month or so
ATB chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dale,
if you have some really old models, it may be worth checking their value on ebay, or other pre-owned sites. A model that you have no interest in could be worth something, & help finance purchase of a new state of the art model!
Alternatively, you could offer it for sale on the forum. One persons' discards may be anothers' Holy Grail!!!
Dave

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Thank you all for the warm welcome. This really does seem to be a wonderful community. I've been browsing old threads and it's really heart warming to see the "good vibes" here. Much appreciated.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Dale,
Dave
Out of curiosity myself (it's been a while since I checked) I went to find my stash list. Alas I could only find one page, listing box "2", somewhat cryptically. There are four boxes this size and a couple of smaller ones too.... That means I have another job to do soon, re-cataloguing them all.

The contents of box 2 are:
Scale Manufacturer Kit Nationality
1/35 Tamiya 6Lb Anti-tank gun set GB
1/35 FiTamiya Field Car Gaz RU
1/35 37mm gun set DE
1/40 Armour car sdkfz 222 DE
1/35 Panzerkampfwagen IV (G) DE
1/32 Airfix Monty'shumber GB
1/35 Tamiya BMW R75 w/ sidecar DE
1/35 Tamiya 7.5cm anti-tank gun DE
1/76 Airfix Boars gun and tractor GB
1/35 Revell VW KubelwagGB (type b2) DE
1/35 Italerai 76.2mm anti-tank gun RU
1/35 Tamiya Jeep 4x4 (Jeep willy) US
1/35 Airfix 155mm howitzer US
1/32 Airfix Half-track sdkfz 250/3 DE
1/35 Tamiya Army ambulance rover 7 GB
1/40 Bandai MKII Valentine GB
1/40 UPC 105mm gun US
1/35 Airfix Dodge personnel carrier US
1/35 Airfix Dodge command car US
1/35 Airfix White M3A1 scout car US
1/35 Airfix Chevrolet 15cwt truck & gun US
1/35 Airfix Bedford QI gun turret GB
1/35 RGBault? Opel mauser sdkfz3 half track DE

The three without manufacturer's listed are Japanese kits. Nittto or Nichimo perhaps?
So what with the other boxes there must be well over a hundred kits in the stash. As I said though, I'll be focussing mainly on 1/32 and 1/35 armour, vehicles, AFV's and 54mm figures.
I have just ordered another 50ml bottle of extra thin cement. I wonder if it's enough?

Last edited:

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Out of curiosity myself (it's been a while since I checked) I went to find my stash list. Alas I could only find one page, listing box "2", somewhat cryptically. There are four boxes this size and a couple of smaller ones too.... That means I have another job to do soon, re-cataloguing them all.

The contents of box 2 are:
Scale Manufacturer Kit Nationality
1/35 Tamiya 6Lb Anti-tank gun set GB
1/35 FiTamiya Field Car Gaz RU
1/35 37mm gun set DE
1/40 Armour car sdkfz 222 DE
1/35 Panzerkampfwagen IV (G) DE
1/32 Airfix Monty'shumber GB
1/35 Tamiya BMW R75 w/ sidecar DE
1/35 Tamiya 7.5cm anti-tank gun DE
1/76 Airfix Boars gun and tractor GB
1/35 Revell VW KubelwagGB (type b2) DE
1/35 Italerai 76.2mm anti-tank gun RU
1/35 Tamiya Jeep 4x4 (Jeep willy) US
1/35 Airfix 155mm howitzer US
1/32 Airfix Half-track sdkfz 250/3 DE
1/35 Tamiya Army ambulance rover 7 GB
1/40 Bandai MKII ValGBtine GB
1/40 UPC 105mm gun US
1/35 Airfix Dodge personnel carrier US
1/35 Airfix Dodge command car US
1/35 Airfix White M3A1 scout car US
1/35 Airfix Chevrolet 15cwt truck & gun US
1/35 Airfix Bedford QI gun turret GB
1/35 RGBault? Opel mauser sdkfz3 half track DE

The three without manufacturer's listed are Japanese kits. Nittto or Nichimo perhaps?
So what with the other boxes there must be well over a hundred kits in the stash. As I said though, I'll be focussing mainly on 1/32 and 1/35 armour, vehicles, AFV's and 54mm figures.
I have just ordered another 50ml bottle of extra thin cement. I wonder if it's enough?
Wow,sounds like you'll be sorted for the next eight to ten years then ! Sweeeeet :cool: