HMCS Snowberry

D

Dave Garrett

Well it's arrived!!!

My new project HMCS Snowberry in 1/72 scale. First initial thought after opening the box wow this kit is big, then it was i have most of the bits to convert it to Radio Control so i thought that i will go down that route as i have always wanted to build an RC Ship so i have a few questions to ask what size propshaft to use and what size propeller to use please ???

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Dave, best for help regarding RC is this site: www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk they are a dedicated RC boat site, I have used and others on here, not saying guys on here cannot help, but they will be able to offer more advice on the RC side of things.

Si:smiling3:

D

Dave Garrett

thanks si i am just going to concentrate on the build at the moment and will post some pics as i go along i started today with the anchor winch which is supposed to glued so that it can't move but i have built it so that it can move and i'm considering motorising it with one of the airfix 1/24 scale plane propeller motors but that's a while off yet

D

Dave Garrett

ok so here is some of the work that i have done over the last couple of days

View attachment 99336

View attachment 99337

the anchors have been completed and the dimples that occur when in the moulding process have been filled in

the anchor chain winch has been started, filled and partly painted will do some more work later and tomorrow and then take some more photos

DSCF6237.JPG

DSCF6238.JPG

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice start Dave.

Si:smiling3:

D

Dave Garrett

thanks si i have some white primer coming in the post this week also some poly weld so i can get the hull started

D

Dave Garrett

the primer and liquid poly came in the post today so i can assemble the hull tomorrow and start priming some of the structures i have made i'm just a bit nervous about spraying with a tin as i have never done any spray work before i have also started the radar housing but i have lost some of the rail stanchions so does anybody know what i can use to replace them please ???

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Dave.

I have taken the liberty to retitle this and moved it to the under construction section. I hope thats OK with you.

Rail stanchions. If you are building this as an R/C runner, I would recommend that you change all the railings and posts for brass and brass wire. The plastic ones ARE going to get broken quicker than you can mend them.

A shop such as Deans Marine, should have some posts in the sizes you will need.

Ian M

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
the primer and liquid poly came in the post today so i can assemble the hull tomorrow and start priming some of the structures i have made i'm just a bit nervous about spraying with a tin as i have never done any spray work before i have also started the radar housing but i have lost some of the rail stanchions so does anybody know what i can use to replace them please ???
Spraying with a tin is easy with a little practice .............. Make sure you keep the can moving in even strokes and coverage. ........... lots of thin coats, too much and it'll run........... practice on some card first, so you can get an even coverage.

Peter

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Well it's arrived!!!My new project HMCS Snowberry in 1/72 scale. First initial thought after opening the box wow this kit is big, then it was i have most of the bits to convert it to Radio Control so i thought that i will go down that route as i have always wanted to build an RC Ship so i have a few questions to ask what size propshaft to use and what size propeller to use please ???
A word of advice if I may ........... If this is your first RC build, as Ian said get yourself over to modelboat mayhem. Lots of advice there ........ I've built a few RC boats....... and first step, once you have the hull is sort out your running gear and fit out....... Motor, propshaft, Receiver, Battery, Servos ........... Before you put the deck on. You really need to work out your RC layout first so you can trim the hull (most people do that in the bath) .......

Peter

D

Dave Garrett

thanks ian i did want to change it but didn't know how now people will be able to follow the post now

D

Dave Garrett

thanks for the rc advice i don't know where to put anything but i'm sure i will find pictures on the internet as for the bath we don't have one we have a wet room with a shower instead so will have to get hold of a kids paddling pool or something.

i did intend to have some practice with the can but i was going to use an old model to practice on but the card will be fine i'm sure i will be asking more questions as i go along

D

Dave Garrett

well today i have welded the 4 parts of the hull together i was going to prime some sub assembly's that i have done but i'm going do some more and then start priming parts i will post pictures later of the work that i have done so far

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I can suggest you look up some of the boat builds on here by a member called sky raider. He knows his onions. And his boats.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
thanks ian i did want to change it but didn't know how now people will be able to follow the post now
Via the redirect and people following the thread get a message. Or should do'

Ian M

D

Dave Garrett

some more building will be getting done later on tonight i haven't had much building time lately [sometimes life gets in the way] so i'm going to have a good catch up and then take some pics over the next couple days of the work that i have done so far hope i haven't put you all off from following this build but i don't get much time to build being a carer is a 24hr job so i try and get an hour a day in but most the time it doesn't happen

C

Caledonia

It's not a race mate, it's when you rush things you stop enjoying them. Look forward to seeing your photos as and when you have time. Cheers Derek

D

Dave Garrett

right as promised some pics of the work that i have done recently.

View attachment 100205

the radar tower still needs a bit of work but it's coming along nicely. the only problem is that the clear plastic has gone misty i got glue on it and made a serious rookie mistake and tried to sand the glue off. have any of you got any advice on getting it clear again or should i just leave them out ???

i have some clear acetate i might just cut that to size and see how it goes.

DSCF6239.JPG

Last edited:
D

Dave Garrett

View attachment 100218

the hull completed in it's final resting place for when she is finished it still needs to be filled, sanded, painted, all the electrics put in it, set the waterline and ballast her as needed but i am happy with her so far

DSCF6240.JPG

D

Dave Garrett

View attachment 100222

the liferafts i have used ca glue to glue them together and it seems to work quite well if used sparingly doesn't foul the detail on the model otherwise it would be a pig of a job to clean up.

i have left the last one unassembled to show what i had to do to get the ropes on the rafts to join up perfect. i had to remove the join line on the inside because the ropes just wouldn't match up without removing it so it had to go

DSCF6241.JPG