HMCS Snowberry

D

Dave Garrett

Thank you both it means a lot. Here are some pics of the work that i have done over the last couple of days.

View attachment 101601

View attachment 101602

View attachment 101603

View attachment 101604

View attachment 101605

View attachment 101606

View attachment 101607

View attachment 101608

View attachment 101609

View attachment 101610

View attachment 101611

View attachment 101612

View attachment 101613

View attachment 101614

I might carry on with the good work that i have done so as to keep my mind off things that have happened lately. I have a fair bit of priming and painting to do now so i will crack on that as i am hoping to order some of the Great Little Ships Detail kits next week so i will do some painting whilst waiting for them to arrive. Keep watching this space for more updates in the meantime i may do some work o the hull.

DSCF6248.JPG

DSCF6249.JPG

DSCF6251.JPG

DSCF6252.JPG

DSCF6253.JPG

DSCF6254.JPG

DSCF6255.JPG

DSCF6257.JPG

DSCF6258.JPG

DSCF6259.JPG

DSCF6262.JPG

DSCF6263.JPG

DSCF6264.JPG

DSCF6265.JPG

Last edited:
D

Dave Garrett

HMS Campanula is going on hold for a couple of days whilst i wait for the milliput, very thin Balsa for the wooden deck, and the extra detail photo etch and white metal parts that i have just ordered to arrive. I guess it gives me a bit of time to catch up on another build in my stash.

D

Dave Garrett

here is some pictures of my corvette dry fitted some of the parts still have filler on but it is just to see how she looks so far and to keep all the main parts together until she is complete.

View attachment 102404

View attachment 102405

View attachment 102406

View attachment 102407

View attachment 102408

View attachment 102409

none of the deck fittings are permanently stuck in place yet because i have to remove all the wooden deck lines and score my own steel deck lines. i have some 0.8mm thick balsa on order for scratch building my own wooden deck. the first time i tried it the balsa was to thick and would of been a hell of a job sanding it to scale so hopefully i can just crack on with scoring the caulking lines into the balsa with a toothpick then paint them with black very fine paintbrush 00 or maybe smaller the steel deck will be measured measured out with pencil then scored with the craft knife then use a dremel and then clean them up.

DSCF6278.JPG

DSCF6279.JPG

DSCF6280.JPG

DSCF6281.JPG

DSCF6282.JPG

DSCF6276.JPG

Last edited:
D

Dave Garrett

thanks dougie it was to be expected i am going to keep at the forums and my models just to keep my mind off things and keep me occupied we bury her next wednesday

D

Dave Garrett

thanks derek now that the shed is cleared i am going to start priming the bits that i have finished building depending on the weather on saturday i will make a start

D

Dave Garrett

i was given some real wood veneer today from a friend and he also lent me his copy of the platinum edition of snowberry instructions and he also lent me the wooden deck from the kit i photocopied the deck pieces and the instructions, cutout the bridge deck, taped it onto the veneer and cut round the main outline.

i would like to know what i can use to draw the deck planks on the veneer with that won't smudge when i varnish it and what i can use to attach it to the deck i thought about double sided tape but that might lift when she goes on the water???

any advice that you guys have would be most appreciated

D

Dave Garrett

hi all i'm back again for a quick post i have been doing some practice wooden deck pieces with veneer varnish and a 0.25mm draughtsmans pen to draw the planks on then varnish over the top of them when the ink has dried with antique pine to make the wood look weathered the picture below shows the work i have done

View attachment 103501

DSCF6288.JPG

D

Dave Garrett

thanks for the vote of confidence it makes me think to do it that way now. i've started one of the rear wooden deck panels when finished i will take a picture of it and the same with the other parts

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The deck test looks pretty good

Ian M

D

Dave Garrett

thanks ian i have done a couple of pieces so far going to do a bit more on her after my dinner