Hobbyboss 1/32 Spitfire Mk V - a collaboration

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

I recently responded to a thread by fellow member Slupanter who (for his own reasons) was looking for someone to take over the build of his Hobbyboss Spitfire. I said Yes Please and received the kit from him last week.

It is mostly built, a couple of small parts to add and a minor repair or two, and painted in what I must say was a lovely smooth finish. This is how it looked before I got my hands on it. :smiling3:

IMG_5374.jpgIMG_5376.jpg

So my first task was to remove the masking putty/fluid (the shiny green stuff in the pics). Unfortunately things went downhill from here. The putty was a gooey gelatinous mess it some places, and stuck hard as cement in others. There was no other choice but to try and remove it with a fluid. I tried water first, followed by low odour thinners, but neither touched it so I had to go in with IPA.

The IPA of course attacked the paint, no matter how carefully I tried, but I was hoping that I might be able to touch up any damage. Unfortunately the putty/fluid was very tenacious and put up quite a fight, so the paint was damaged more than I hoped for. :sad:

If I was going to do this kit justice there really was no other choice, the whole lot had to be stripped. 300+ cotton buds and many hours later she looks like this (sorry Alexander).

IMG_20190127_202038.jpgIMG_20190127_202055.jpgMVIMG_20190127_202153.jpg

Interestingly I learned that IPA will also dissolve (what I assume was) Tamiya Extra Thin, which resulted in the radiator housing and a few other bits becoming detached, but this actually was an advantage as it meant I could dry brush some of the interior parts silver to add a bit more interest.

IMG_20190127_202126.jpgIMG_20190127_202226.jpg

The loose parts were re-attached, and after drying I gave the entire exterior a polishing so it is now silky smooth. Will move on to primer shortly. :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I had to go in with IPA.
To me, those letters stand for International Phonetic Alphabet, but I doubt that’s what you’re talking about here :smiling3: What is IPA? Some kind of solvent?

Interestingly I learned that IPA will also dissolve (what I assume was) Tamiya Extra Thin
I learned the hard way that certain types of white spirit-like thinners (that is, I’m not sure of the exact UK equivalent to what in the Netherlands is called terpentine — no, it’s not turpentine :smiling3:) will loosen small parts if used to thin enamels for airbrushing. I had problems with things like mirrors and headlights coming off vehicles, until I decided to use another type of thinner, and with that everything remained attached perfectly well. Could be your IPA has similar effects.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
IPA is isopropyl alcohol, used (amongst other things) to thin or clean acrylic paint. :smiling3:

I decided to get on with the priming tonight. Will let this cure for a couple of days then give it another polish.

IMG_20190128_200404.jpgIMG_20190128_200345.jpg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol = solvent.
To the original problem on the Spitfire - masking fluid - especially MicroScale MicroMask ( that green stuff looks suspiciously like it ) can be a nightmare to remove if left more than a day or so - I think it actually says on the bottle not to leave it for more than a certain time. I've not found any other way of correcting this, short of stripping everything off & starting again! I now use a much gentler artists masking fluid 'Jacksons', but still don't leave it any longer than I have to.
Dave

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hey guys.

She's back in camo. :smiling3:

Had a few problems with the masking tape lifting a few small bits, but I've touched them in with the airbrush. You can see them in the pics, but I'd only just done it so should fade when dry, plus I've got to paint the roundels and numbers on yet. Will probably clear coat it before I do them.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

Got back to work on this over the weekend. The kit came to me with paint masks rather than decals, something I've never used before.

Overall I'm fairly happy with the results, there was a little bit of bleed on panel lines but the wash should cover these.

I can see why people paint the markings rather than use decals, the result is definitely preferable.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Some lovely paintwork Bob :thumb2:
looks to of been well worth the effort of stripping back!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Si. :smiling3:

Yes, the strip was worthwhile, and necessary to do the kit justice.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice now. Although the scrubbed black look had a strange appeal to me. Scrap yard sort of look.

• Love
Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Colin. :smiling3:

I gloss coated the decals and serials last night, so now just got to mask up and paint the yellow strips on the wings and that should be it for paint.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I usually do those first: yellow covers very poorly, so I spray the relevant areas (and more) white, then add the yellow, and mask it off before painting the rest of the plane.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
I've never done the leading edges before, although I had no problem with the yellow on the roundels??

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
If you look closely at the roundel picture, you can see it covers fairly well on the green and grey, but the much darker blue shines through everywhere you painted yellow over it. Since the leading edges will be over the same green and grey, you’ll probably do fine just spraying it on now.