Honda NSR 500 Rossi Nastro Azzuro Build

F

funkyrimpler

Hi folks,

following on from my previous thread (Doohan bike), here's a cpl of pics of my other build which ive started whilst getting to the finishing stages of the Doohan bike.

Ive only just returned to model making as ive needed something to do after 7 months off work. ive suffered a prolapsed c5/6 disc in my neck which has ruined my life, and been extremely debilitating..thankfully i am scheduled for a discetomy and a prosthetic disc operation on the 30th july...anyway as i was saying..returning to this hobby has been wonderful..and frustrating!!

Anyway, heres a few pics of the engine and exhausts..unfortunately, the detail hasnt come out as great as would have liked in the images, but so far, im really pleased with how this build is shaping up. it should be a much better result than my previous project.

My goal is to build an entire range of Valentino Rossi world championship bikes. ive currently got a few others sitting on the shelf waiting to be started.

Any feedback or advice would be great

View attachment 50472

View attachment 50473

View attachment 50474

View attachment 50475

P4250020.jpg

P4250021.jpg

P4250022.JPG

P4250032.jpg

M

mobear

love the heat effect on the exhaust,very nice indeed

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks very nice indeed.

There are a few bike builders on here,I'm sure they'll be along soon.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start an this one Simon not a biking fan myself but i do like to see Rossi ride if its on been thinking about getting his Desmociditie gp 11 if its out there

F

funkyrimpler

thanks for your encouragement lads! its really exciting getting stuck into this build. this is only my second model so im really pleased with how things are turning out. ive attached another couple of pics. the first show the wheels which ive just finished spraying in vallejo gunmetal. i'll be painting the valves flat aluminium probably after applying some Klear. Also in the wheel pic are the forks semi completes, with bits of masking tape stuck on, and the riders seat..im really pleased with this as i managed to acheive a 'suede effect' but heaping on layers of very thin tamiya acrylic..i used winolene as per a thread i found on here a cppl of weeks ago..i dont think its intended for airbrush use but by sheer accident i got the result i wanted..it was a chance in a million because usually when i make a mistake i screw up big time....

The tyres are really ripped up on the edges to emulate realistic track wear, i hope they come out on the screen. im really happy with them. I used very coarse 60 grit emery and fitted the tyres to the wheels prior to rubbing them down..worked like a charm. Finally ive added a few more of the exhaust pictures. again im not sure how well this comes out on screen but ive used a little clear orange and clear blue to simulate heat. i experimented on some old bits of sprue. first i primed, then chrome silver, then a darker titanium silver, then the clear colours (trying to keep near the welds)..its coming along quite nicely. In my previous pics you can see the seam running down the centre of the engine..i'd normally get rid of this but as this kit is similar to the DMick Doohan NSR im almost completing i sussed out that these parts will be completely obscured when the model is completed...I hope you find it interesting, and any other tips or bits of advice are always appreciated from the more experienced modellers here.

SiView attachment 47608View attachment 47609View attachment 47611View attachment 47610

View attachment 50515

View attachment 50516

View attachment 50517

View attachment 50518

P4260033.jpg

P4260037.jpg

P4260035.jpg

P4260036.jpg

Last edited:
M

mobear

the look of heat on the exhaust is really sweet,i love burnished metal,the tyres are well race worn,nice one mate

mobear

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
yep built that one too its builds out really nice look in my gallery for referance - but watch the decals they are the fun part!!!!!

the heat on the exhaust takes time to perfect - i know i am still trying to get it right but yours looks great

simon

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking rather nice as well!

I really should have another go at a motorbike, been a VERY long time...

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
yep built that one too its builds out really nice look in my gallery for referance - but watch the decals they are the fun part!!!!!the heat on the exhaust takes time to perfect - i know i am still trying to get it right but yours looks great

simon
hey simon,

just checked your gallery. those bikes look brilliant, very impressed. ive got the valencia bike ready to go after this build, plus the 04 Yam and RC211V. i plan on making the lot in time and will also being making the Fiat Yamaha with the Rossi riding figure. Did you use a ceramic tile to display them on?

Which models were the most difficult, and do you have any advice for a newbie?

Si

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
Looking rather nice as well!I really should have another go at a motorbike, been a VERY long time...

Ian M
Do it Ian, you know it makes sense son!

simontie

SMF Supporter
First Name
simon
the tile was handy at the time it looked ok so i used it, i display the bike in a cabinet so no dioramas for them (yet) the only difficulty is how perfect you want it to be - i have a shaky hand so its easier to mask area's and airbrush, hand painting on good days - generally the harder builds are the older one's thats due to the quality of the kits the newer ones are well made and require little preperation - the finish is down to the modler - older ones tend to require a bit more filler and tweeking to suit the finish you are after - the only advice i can give is this model making lark is a massive learning curve i put kits together and paint them - some of the modles i have seen here are scratch built these guys are the model makers not me, my only advice is to take your time read the instructions and trial fit every thing first, other than that enjoy the builds, reading the posts on here will give any novice ideas to use on the kits

youtube is another good source of info there are some very special people out there i wish i had some of there tallent

what i have done and what i need to do this is only a hand full of the tamiya kits, my cabinet is the result of just over 2 years work - as and when i get the time i will finish the others

View attachment 47674View attachment 47675

View attachment 50580

View attachment 50581

View attachment 50582

DSCF1547.jpg

a.jpg

b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
F

funkyrimpler

heres a few updates pics of the bike.

View attachment 47788View attachment 47789View attachment 47790

1. swingarm

2. left side of frame

3.right side of frame

pictures taken with a camera phone, so not great im afraid. Theres small gold details on the frame (where the footrests bolt to the frame, welded brackets to secure fairing, and the the wheel adjusters on the swingarm), i dont know how well, of at all these details show up.

ive started painting the bodywork so will upload some photos when the camera is charged up!

View attachment 50672

View attachment 50673

View attachment 50674

IMG00334-20120715-1802.jpg

IMG00335-20120715-1834.jpg

IMG00338-20120715-1835.jpg

F

funkyrimpler

some cracking bikes there simontie..love the simoncelli bike..where did you get the figure from?

T

treyzx10r

Nice looking build and the completed ones look great as well! I like the effect you got on the tires ,I also use a purple and blue sharpie on the edges to replicate the heat blueing. Looking forward to seeing the next update.cheers Trey

F

funkyrimpler

nice tip on the sharpies trey. do you draw them onto the pipes?? if you have any pics i'd like to see em!

F

funkyrimpler

heres a few update pics...View attachment 47935View attachment 47936View attachment 47937View attachment 47938View attachment 47939View attachment 47940View attachment 47941View attachment 47942

theres still plenty to do..ive spent a long time making carbon fibre decals (never done anything like it before)..they've come out ok, but my next project will be better..

ive had a minor disaster with the seat unit decal...the microsol seems to have cracked the decal and it is partially disintegrated..ive soaked it with water to try and remove the solution. Its a shame as the build has been going well by my standards..and the bloody decal is huge..it runs the entire length of the tail section...picture 5 shows the main fairing curing with microsol, picture 6 shows the other side prior to decal application. hope you find the shots of interest.

View attachment 50816

View attachment 50817

View attachment 50818

View attachment 50819

View attachment 50820

View attachment 50821

View attachment 50822

View attachment 50823

P5040056.jpg

P5040057.jpg

P5040062.jpg

P5040063.jpg

P5040064.jpg

P5040065.jpg

P5040067.jpg

P5040068.JPG

F

funkyrimpler

heres a final few others for your interest chaps..View attachment 47943View attachment 47944View attachment 47945View attachment 47946

tyres dont look quite so destroyed in real life but are very realistic!! final pic shows my 1st attempt at making a carbon fibre decal (white logo is a 2nd decal overlaid)..theres an annoying crease on the other side..although only minor i know its there..on my next build ive decided i wont be 'making do' with leaving things like that there...hope you find something of interest in the thred and i welcome any feedback. cheers

Si

View attachment 50824

View attachment 50825

View attachment 50826

View attachment 50827

P5040071.jpg

P5040074.jpg

P5040075.JPG

P5040076.jpg

Last edited:
M

mobear