Honda NSR 500 Rossi Nastro Azzuro Build

F

funkyrimpler

View attachment 47965View attachment 47966View attachment 47967View attachment 47968View attachment 47969

here you can see the disintegrating decals...they literally just flaked into pieces...pic 1 has tears created by microset...the 2nd picture did this upon contact with warm water..it wrinkled and cracked..picture 3 just fell to pieces.pic 5 you can see the silver tank decal starting to destroy itself...shame because everything else was coming along nicely..if i cant sacrifice the model it might be one for the wheelie bin!

lets hope someone somewhere has got the decals.

Just to add...these decals have all had 24hrs to cure.

View attachment 50846

View attachment 50847

View attachment 50848

View attachment 50849

View attachment 50850

P5050078.jpg

P5050079.jpg

P5050081.jpg

P5050082.jpg

P5050086.jpg

Last edited:
F

funkyrimpler

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
View attachment 47965View attachment 47966View attachment 47967View attachment 47968View attachment 47969here you can see the disintegrating decals...they literally just flaked into pieces...pic 1 has tears created by microset...the 2nd picture did this upon contact with warm water..it wrinkled and cracked..picture 3 just fell to pieces.pic 5 you can see the silver tank decal starting to destroy itself...shame because everything else was coming along nicely..if i cant sacrifice the model it might be one for the wheelie bin!

lets hope someone somewhere has got the decals.

Just to add...these decals have all had 24hrs to cure.
Ouch! Not very pretty at all. I can understand your frustration. The actual build and painting is really good though so don't give up. Lets hope that Hobby Company comes to the rescue.

Ian M

F

funkyrimpler

thanks lads..

i really hope that hobby co can supply replacement decals (im not holding my breath though)..

i'll try and salvage it as best i can, and if needs be, display it naked instead of launching it down the garden!

F

funkyrimpler

what an abortion...

just had a look at the tail unit and this is what it looks like today.... :censored2:rubbish. Im abandoning this project. if i can get the decals then maybe i'll try and resurrect it..ive thought about maybe using a carbon fibre decal but it will just look like a pig. the entire seat unit will need to be stripped back to bare plastic (simontie mentioned that this can be down with Windowlene?)...

so utterly fed up with this one..my previous project went the exact same way... :censored2:decals dropping to bits..the petrol tank decals have blistered and just fallen to bits and pieces..looks :censored2:...

im going to put it away in a box somewhere until the urge to stand on it and smash into microscopic pieces has subsided...oh well, i think ive only :censored2: away about £60.

tamiya..get your :censored2: act together.View attachment 48005

View attachment 50886

P5060096.jpg

Last edited:
F

funkyrimpler

slung it back in the box and lobbed into a cupboard until further notice.

ive got the 04' M1 yamaha, 02 honda rcv211v, 04 M1 yamaha valencia special edition (£40 + two part zero paints) and finally 09 fiat yamaha (£50) and valentino rossi riding figure (£40 ish) in boxes...im considering if its even worth bothering with these models...nearly £200 in total, probably more, plus the expense of tools, solvents, airbrush medium, airbrush cleaner, x2 airbrushes, compressor and paints etc...im wondering if i should stick everything on fleabay and call it a day??

i was looking forward to building these models after ive had my spinal operation on 30th july...something to do during my rehab..is it worth it, particularly as the newest model was manufactured in 2009 ?..thats 3 yrs ago...more tatty decals? or more trying to hunt around for elusive decal sets which wastes even more money and time...ive got the feeling that they're just going to fall to pieces..sort of makes this a futile exercise in my opinion. the honda is 10 yrs old now, the box looks a bit yellowed so could well have been displayed in a shop window so will almost definately have ruined decals (which are shoddy to begin with to be honest).

ive got a scanner in the loft but i cant get up there because i cant use my right arm properly (last time i ventured up there i broke my thumb and ended up in A&E!) i dont even know if the scanner works, plus ive got to fanny about trying to get decal paper to try and make some insurance duplicates...plus ive only got an inkjet printer which limits the final product anyway..ie no metallics or flouro colours...top tip...stick to military models (not my bag) as they are not 'decal rich' and if they do look tatty and flakey then call it weathering!!..

what could i get for my stuff if i auctioned it do you reckon? the airbrush kit has only been used to build the last 2 abortions (the siphon airbrush hasnt even been opened).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some ones having a bad day me thinks.

Place every thing out of harms way and read a book. The way you are winding your self up, nothing good will come of it.

If you put the bits you have on e-bay, you will be really disappointed at the result. The bike is still current so no real money there, the paints, you might be lucky to get a fiver. The airbrush and comp`? rather depends on what it is. One thing for sure, you will never get your money back. It will be better to chill out and go back to it when you have calmed down.

Ian M

PS watch the language!!!

F

funkyrimpler

i dont get why everything says censored on it??? i didnt even swear??? makes me look like a right yob mate, which isnt fair.

the comp is an AS18 incidentally. the only current models in the collection are the Fiat Yam and the Rossi figure. I think i'm correct in saying that all of the others are discontinued (?)...i certainly struggled to find the RCV211V in particular. i think the valencia bike is fairly easy to obtain although they are all now discontinued(?)

Last edited:
D

delmonteman

Have a cheeky whisky and sit down. Race bike decals are complicated shapes and a pain to get right. Why not try a road bike? Tamiya's 916 goes together well and there's next to no decals!

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

F

funkyrimpler

\ said:
Have a cheeky whisky and sit down. Race bike decals are complicated shapes and a pain to get right. Why not try a road bike? Tamiya's 916 goes together well and there's next to no decals!Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.
i did that one years ago!

fitting the decals is okay. these decals simply disintegrated. some fell to pieces on the contact paper whilst drying on a paper towel, others cracked then split when drying on the model, some split whilst still on the decal paper, others fitted okay, then split as they dried over the contours. the only thing i can think of is that they were old or shoddy quality. if i made another one i would do all of the bodywork first, then if the decals fall to pieces you find out sooner rather than later.

D

delmonteman

I've only done a couple of Tamiya race bikes but the decals were fine (if fiddly). I honestly think you just got a dodgy batch. Don't give up.

F

funkyrimpler

maybe..a bit suss though because the Doohan model decals were extremely fragile too. luckily i had a spare set which id purchased from ebay (although they were a very poor colour match)..these too were very flakey, although a lot more robust than the originals in the box. when i used the carbon sheet decals these were fine. fragile of course but so easy to position and took microset really well. the tamiya ones are just utter rubbish. you can see right through them to the base colour...just rubbish. thats probably wht the more recent models use cartograph decals. its a lot of money nd time to throw away and to be tripped up by something that is totally beyond my control is infuriating..if it was my mistake then fair enough. as i hope you can see, ive really taken enormous care over the 2 models ive made....like..obssessive!! so when i get let down by rubbish parts that are almost definately impossible to obtain it really grates on me..as it stands ive no idea how to try and fix...all over some nasty 20p decal sheet (which, if can get again will probably cost something lie £10+)..it makes a joke of the whole thing.

D

delmonteman

Best thing to do, is chuck em back in the box and have a pop at something nice and simple, to get your "eye" back in. Trust me, it works. Apologies if someone has already mentioned this, I'm a bit drunk!

Sent using my fat thumbs and Tapatalk.

F

funkyrimpler

i finished this model just now, and it was a pig right up until the end. the seat unit i painted and shaded using an airbrush due to the decals dropping to pieces. It actually looks much nicer than the original pinstripe and shaded decal although i dont know how well these will show in the pics. The lower fairing (as with the doohan NSR500 i built previously) was a nightmare to fit and after about 45 minutes of careful trimming i gave and simply cut off the front portion of the panel. this is concealed behind the rear wheel, but i got to the point with this where im simply not interested....hence i didnt bother spraying beneath the tail section..i just left it white. Even the tail decals tore when i was finishing this one today, and trying to get the panels to fit i had bits falling off and pipes working loose etc...but hey, thats how its gonna stay!

hope you find the pics of interest..im just glad this ones over!

View attachment 48340View attachment 48341View attachment 48342View attachment 48343View attachment 48344View attachment 48345View attachment 48346View attachment 48347View attachment 48348View attachment 48349

View attachment 51202

View attachment 51203

View attachment 51204

View attachment 51205

View attachment 51206

View attachment 51207

View attachment 51208

View attachment 51209

View attachment 51210

View attachment 51211

P5110001.jpg

P5110002.jpg

P5110003.jpg

P5110004.jpg

P5110006.jpg

P5110007.jpg

P5110008.jpg

P5110009.jpg

P5110010.jpg

P5110011.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well despite all the problems that you have had along the way, that has turned out very nice indeed. Your eye goes direct to the problems you had, Mine just look at the whole package and I must say that If It was mine, I would be quite chuffed.

Ian M