Hornby Dublo restoration project

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Good stuff. Glad to know the Bob Moore stuff is still available actually. I last used one a good twenty years ago now :flushed:
It's was an eBay purchase as I saved a few quid but the are available from Phoenix paints new. I have some brass carriages and a steam motor rail coach to build and paint still which the lining pen really elevates the paint work I think.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
PS, I found it best to make a plasticard template to do some of the more complex designs. Easy just to run the pen around it then.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It's was an eBay purchase as I saved a few quid but the are available from Phoenix paints new. I have some brass carriages and a steam motor rail coach to build and paint still which the lining pen really elevates the paint work I think.
Interesting. The one I used came from a model engineering sales stand :smiling: Not made brass carriages for an age. Sold the last of my unmade kits during lockdown actually. Steam rail motor will look great. Who is it by? Agreed, good lining makes the model.
For black lining I found tubular pens (Rotring etc) very good as well. I believe the business end of the Bob Moore pen was originally made from them.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
So trialled a new stripping method (a few stages) but in summary by far the best strip I've ever achieved. 100% paint removal and about 10 mins to complete.
Latest project is a Dublo Castle relivery.
IMG_20240127_171705.jpg
Primed and already applied top coat BR green which is drying.
IMG_20240128_135241.jpg
IMG_20240128_141011.jpg
The Phoenix precision gloss gives an exceptional finish when applied by airbrush.

Ancientmariner

SMF Supporter
First Name
James
Thanks Tim,

As a rule I only do 3-rail. The Phoenix paints and varnish just give a finish like nothing else I've ever used, exceptional.

Also I have fitted a double chimney to this model.

James

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Tim,

As a rule I only do 3-rail. The Phoenix paints and varnish just give a finish like nothing else I've ever used, exceptional.

Also I have fitted a double chimney to this model.

James
Phoenix precision were my go to in the railway modelling days as well. Fine pigment enamels that sprayed well and covered nicely using their quick drying air thinners. Never noticed the double chimney, but then GWR wasn’t my specialty ;). Three rail stuff is great when it’s running. You can smell the ozone off the motors…..

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI James lovely model there you have done a very nice job of it an if i still had my trains i would be proud to have it on my layout very well done sir
chrisb

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
This takes me back to my train spotting days at New Street and Snow Hill in Birmingham, and then to the favourite spot in Aston where you got LMS etc on one line and under the bridge you got the GWR. Sitting in the bridge top with a flask of tea and jam sandwiches, note book ready along with the Ian Allen book of train numbers, and leaning up against the bridge would be the bikes ready for the trip home with the lolly stick in the brakes to make the 'clatter' noise... A quite enqiry from the local constable who was an adult spotter and spent more time on and around the bridge than he did on his beat, asking if the certain trai had been through. Then back home, pull the layout from under the bed, plug in the transformer and run the loco's untill supper time.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A very interesting read. Esp the discussion about pens. That ended with me looking at Bow pens and their use and lining pens on the web .