"Hornet, I'm going in, so long fellas..my position is...."

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is all good stuff. Thanks to all for contributing their thoughts and suggestions to my 'problem'

Special thanks to Richard for taking the trouble to post the movie....

So how about this....The aircraft has come in parallel to the waves (these will be small anyway)...After the initial impact, the prop has stopped, but the aircraft has 'bounced' prior to settling in the water. That is the instance I am thinking of modelling.

Or....As Joe points out, the engine could have taken a hit and stopped, and the pilot is trying to get down as best he can, almost dead stick.....It must have happened somewhere I suppose.

Does any of this make some sort of aeronautic sense?

Thanks again for the input....I feel I could now land an aircraft in the 'oggin with no probs.!!

Ron

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
You may be surprised Si, to hear that most single engine aeroplanes with a constant speed propeller unit, are in fact designed to go to a full fine setting when engine oil pressure is lost, and not to a coarse or full feather position as you suggest. That is a system usually built into multi-engine aeroplanes, the adverse yaw between an operating engine and a failed windmilling engine vastly affecting performance and limiting control of the aeroplane.
Then I stand corrected non that point, thanks for the info Joe.

Si:smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
This is all good stuff. Thanks to all for contributing their thoughts and suggestions to my 'problem'Special thanks to Richard for taking the trouble to post the movie....

So how about this....The aircraft has come in parallel to the waves (these will be small anyway)...After the initial impact, the prop has stopped, but the aircraft has 'bounced' prior to settling in the water. That is the instance I am thinking of modelling.

Or....As Joe points out, the engine could have taken a hit and stopped, and the pilot is trying to get down as best he can, almost dead stick.....It must have happened somewhere I suppose.

Does any of this make some sort of aeronautic sense?

Thanks again for the input....I feel I could now land an aircraft in the 'oggin with no probs.!!

Ron
Yeah, dead stick why not, just a suggestion, why have the aircraft in the water at all, get some clear rod and have the aircraft just above the waves, you could also have a stream of grey/white cotton wool streaming from it, that would indicate a coolant leak and it is leaking glycol.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Yeah, dead stick why not, just a suggestion, why have the aircraft in the water at all, get some clear rod and have the aircraft just above the waves, you could also have a stream of grey/white cotton wool streaming from it, that would indicate a coolant leak and it is leaking glycol.Si:smiling3:
Good suggestion Si, trouble is I know couldn't make the smoke anywhere near convincing enough for me to be happy with.....But just above the water could be a goer. I do like making splashes though!!!

Thinking time, and thanks again for your excellent idea.

Ron

First Name
Andy
I have nothing to add sorry Sir, so I shall just sit at the back of the class and watch and listen if that is ok...

Andy...

N

noble

This is interesting Ron can't wait to see what you make of it.

Scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You could do it in a stall. sort of dead in the air after it has just skipped off the water and is about to do the belly flop----

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry boys, I've been distracted just lately. Regarding modelling, my rule is usually 'Finish one build before starting another.'....

But I've well and truly blown it apart....

I'm doing three parallel builds...Two 1/144 U boats and the Devastator! Water everywhere.....

I hope to finish them all soon.

Thanks for your latest posts..Might gee me up a bit!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I feel a bit of a fraud with this.....After all your great advise and suggestions regarding the actual ditching, I've not done that part, sorry.

I've concentrated on the aircraft in the water and have just finished the mini diorama.

Again, my apologies for not building part one....

The finished model is over in 'Dioramas Completed'

Cheers,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Hmmm, first time I have ever killed a thread... :sad: Andy...
There is always a first for everything Andy, I wouldn't worry about it :D

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I feel a bit of a fraud with this.....After all your great advise and suggestions regarding the actual ditching, I've not done that part, sorry.I've concentrated on the aircraft in the water and have just finished the mini diorama.

Again, my apologies for not building part one....

The finished model will be over in 'Dioramas Completed' asap.

Cheers,

Ron
Tsk, you disappoint Ron...I suppose I should go and have a look at the finished dio...but I am not happy...my hopes will be dashed. ;)