Howdy boys

First Name
Neal
Hi there, I'm Neal from Texas. I'm not a proliferate modeler, I made a few models as a kid, and couple more in my 40s. The only one that has survived is my Type VII U-boat. So, I am not very experienced. Those are the two eras in my life where I got busy with scale models.

I "retired" about 2 years ago and have gotten started up again. I'm not a naturally skilled craftsman, I've got caveman hands and fingers, so handling 1/350 scale bits is a challenge for me. Still, I am finding the hobby very fulfilling.

I've made a couple of submarine models in the last few weeks, kind of warmups. I'm tackling a Dragon (DML?) Ohio class boomer now, taking my time to make it as good as I can. Next, if I feel capable, I have a large Gato sub model a friend gave me 15 years ago. Hopefully I am up to the task.

I'll probably have a newbie question or two, but Youtube sure does make it easy to get info. Always looking for more though.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome to the forum Neal. Skill level doesn't matter, it's the enjoyment that counts.....

I too enjoy building U.Boats

Also, with the great, friendly and knowledgeable folk on here, you won't need Youtube!

Enjoy your time with us. :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Neal .
A few of your country men on here , so your not alone on the time thing .
Any question is answered, so don't worry if you think it's silly .I've asked all those anyway :smiling3:
Enjoy your stay .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to the forum Neal. Here there are all levels of skill and experience. We are a friendly, helpful group so I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. I look forward to seeing your models.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome!!!

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome mate, looking forward to seeing your work - no need to duck and dive over your skill level - most of us have fingers like boots!
Steve

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neal,
welcome to the forum - submarines? There have been quite a few sub models on the forum ( mine as well ). How are you displaying them, on a stand? I prefer to waterline those I do make - cutting off the underwater portion & making a 'sea' base - takes a bit of practice, but can be rewarding.
Questions? - ask away - we have a wide circle of knowledgeable members, and some of the advice can actually be useful!
Above all enjoy yourself!
Dave

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Howdy back at ya Pard! Just getting over winter up here in Montana......glad you found us and when you figure out the threads, how about posting up some of your latest accomplishments. From your avatar I get the impression that you are exclusively into "floaty" things, or do you have other modeling interests as well? Welcome aboard Neal.:thumb2: Rick H.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome to the madhouse Neal, looking forward to seeing your builds, I've never built a sub so maybe you'll inspire me to give it a go..

One word of warning though... if Mr Race asks you if you've considered doing a 'burnt out' wreck, don't do it.. he's just trying to get more folk to indulge in his passion for setting fire to stuff, just nod your head to agree with him and have a look around for Matron, who's never far away with his asbestos pants and medication.. lol

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Welcome to the madhouse Neal, looking forward to seeing your builds, I've never built a sub so maybe you'll inspire me to give it a go..

One word of warning though... if Mr Race asks you if you've considered doing a 'burnt out' wreck, don't do it.. he's just trying to get more folk to indulge in his passion for setting fire to stuff, just nod your head to agree with him and have a look around for Matron, who's never far away with his asbestos pants and medication.. lol
HAHA Chris thats a good one poor ole J/R never got a moments peace from setting fire to things an what with matron chaseing him with her big neddles an meds oh poor bugger lol
chrisb

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
HAHA Chris thats a good one poor ole J/R never got a moments peace from setting fire to things an what with matron chaseing him with her big neddles an meds oh poor bugger lol
chrisb
Maybe we should set up the JRPA... (John Race Protection Agency), we could look after the ole pyromaniac whilst heading off Matron and her goons..