Ian M's completed M3 Grant

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Well I did enjoy it Ian, wonderful work and a lovely dio. The rusting is sublime, the severe on the barrels to the light rust and wear on the abandoned tank.

Si:smiling3:

D

dubster72

Very nice Ian, the Grant looks great & the base really set's it off - the little flowers are a nice touch, offsetting the deadly purpose of the tank.

Cheers Patrick

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
most excellent work!

love the dio base, that really sets it off

C

Caledonia

Great build Ian, a great study on rust and abandonment. Cheers Derek

B

Bari

That's really nice, I love the rusty barrels, very realistic, as are the close ups of the tank and the flowers make a nice counterpoint.

M

mobear

nothing but 5*s for this,looks like you found the right balance for the rusty look

P

Polux

It is a nice build.

By the moment it's a very different topic I usually see on your works Ian. You have take your time to paint and weathering this model, and the final result is visible....perfect chipping and great rusty effect.

Lovely base too :smiling3:

Polux

D

Doug Hughes

Brilliant, and very instructive along the way. Thanks for posting during all the steps of the build, Ian.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent build Ian. Really good, well balanced composition too.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work Ian.

I like the Grant it's very detailed and weathered well (it's obvious some time went into that weathering!) The foliage looks great and the base is well presented.

My only slight criticism is that maybe the elements of the layout are not connected. The barrels occupy one corner and the tree/foliage the other with the wreck sitting neatly between the 2. Perhaps if the wreck was sunk into the earth, crushing the barrels or the grass was growing in and around it it would feel more part of the scene. The elements of the dio are excellent they just need a bit of integration. This is only an observation and should not detract from a great build.

I'm going to have a look at the build now to find out which brand manufactures the M3 kit!

Cheers

Paul

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Excellent build, Ian, do real like the rusty look that one real grabs me, just say so much without saying a lot, dose that make sense :confused:

and thank you also for the step by step, was nice to share it with use all

over all +,s from me

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super work Ian. All round great build, from the weathering down to the wire fence and grass tufts.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for the feedback Paul. I agree that the tank does appear a little "plonked" down. I had intended to grass it up a bit more and if I can find my old brushes in the shed, I might just give it some more tufts latter. I would like to redo the storage bins as well; make some open ones and have the lids open or off.

So maybe I should call it finished for now, but might get altered at some point.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for the feedback Paul
Like you say Ian all this 'integration' can be done at a later date. I don't want to detract from an excellent M3 Grant build but I think your suggestions would make it sit more naturally within it's setting. And, like you say, this can be done at any time and by instalments if you like.

What was the Academy kit like?

Cheers

Paul

N

noble

Gorgeous work ian nicely painted and weathered, lovely work.

scott

W

Willi262

Fantastic! Love the rusted barrels. I cannot add any more compliments to what has been said already.