Ian M's Mk VI, 1/48 Tamiya.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Do I really need to post the box and sprues photos? We are now up to 4. Five if you include mine. Its Your GB Ian so your call.

I will be doing the fighter version but not the one in the box. I will be trying to do YH - T SZ977. A Mosquito from RAF 21 squadron that, purely by accident was the cause of a tragic event that took place in Copenhagen. Here is an outline of the event.
The Plan, called Operation Carthage, was to bomb a building, 'Shell House', which was being used by the Gestapo as a base in Denmark The building was protected by a 'human shield' of Danish Resistance fighters held prisoners in the roof..
The subject of my build, on the approach to bomb the building hit a light mast which caused it to crash. The following aircraft saw the smoke and assume that that was the target. Under radio silence they started to bomb. Unbeknown to the pilots they started to bomb a nearby school. Being a daylight raid the school was full of children and staff.
One of the pilots realised what was happening and broke the radio silence and stopped further bombs being dropped on the School.

The people of Denmark although shocked saw that it was a pure accident and did not lay blame of hate or begrudge the RAF.
There is a very good film "the shadow in my eye" or the original title "Skyggen i mit øje". Which depicts the event well. I believe it might also go under the name "the bombardment" on Netflix
Wing commander P.A. Kleboe and flight officer R.J.W. Hall died instantly in the crash.
125 Danish civilians, of which 86 where school children died in the attack.
6 aircraft and nine crew where lost. One taken prisoner.
55 German and 47 Danish workers in the Building along with the 8 Prisoners in the roof space.

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Blimey,what a harrowing story,not to mention a tragedy !!
Obviously a pure accident,but still a real testament to the resolve and understanding of the Danish people.... SO easy to throw blame and hatred around in those kind of situations.
I shall look out for that film definitely Ian.
As for if you should post box art and sprue pics..... We'll,I guess you'd better ask the chap running this GB eh? ;)
Andy

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
God, that’s awful. Imagine having to live with that all your life, both as the bomber and the victims……the guilt would be indescribable.

As to sprue shots etc, I thought it was a require of the GBs, but up to the GB squadron leader I suppose…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I've heard of this. Not sure where.....as Tim says, having to live with that for all those survivors.....

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
What a tragic story. I suppose in the confusion and intensity of war there are many terrible "mistakes' but this must surely be one of the most awful.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fair enough:
IMAG1129.jpg
Box top
20220701_125516.jpg
The unopened bags. and my right foot. lol.
And seeing how it has chucked it down with rain most of the day...
20220701_130853.jpg

20220701_151733.jpg
A quick tip if your clamps do not have sandpaper glued on them to keep slipping off.
20220701_151744.jpg
A few little bits glued up and waiting for primer...

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice start Ian. What are the little bits in the cat food tray?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice start Ian. What are the little bits in the cat food tray?
We done for spotting that it was a cat food tray.
I have a habit of keeping all the little bits you cut off until the build is done. I have found a 'missing' part more than once.
The last armour build filed it up! A mini art archer with separate link tracks.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
We done for spotting that it was a cat food tray.
I have a habit of keeping all the little bits you cut off until the build is done. I have found a 'missing' part more than once.
For those of us without a cat other pet food trays are available ;)

Actually keeping all the "bits" until the build is finished is a good tip. I've search through the rubbish bin more than once.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
For those of us without a cat other pet food trays are available ;)

Actually keeping all the "bits" until the build is finished is a good tip. I've search through the rubbish bin more than once.
Did it just few days ago.... Never did find the AWOL bit ): !!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
My casper is wondering why he does not get posh stuff like Sheba, just bog standard Felix? The Moggies are threatening a strike!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
My casper is wondering why he does not get posh stuff like Sheba, just bog standard Felix? The Moggies are threatening a strike!
Ours always get a turkey flavoured one for Xmas day….otherwise it’s Felix or purina kibbles. Doesn’t do them any harm. The last three have all lived to twenty.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
He only gets one once in a while, Sunday dinner type of thing lol. Otherwise its the "cheap stuff". I actually started to save the trays as they are great for many things.
Nice thick foil for building material, Panels/belts etc. Moulds for pouring plaster bases in for figures...decal dishes... parts bins...

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Do I really need to post the box and sprues photos? We are now up to 4. Five if you include mine. Its Your GB Ian so your call.

I will be doing the fighter version but not the one in the box. I will be trying to do YH - T SZ977. A Mosquito from RAF 21 squadron that, purely by accident was the cause of a tragic event that took place in Copenhagen. Here is an outline of the event.
The Plan, called Operation Carthage, was to bomb a building, 'Shell House', which was being used by the Gestapo as a base in Denmark The building was protected by a 'human shield' of Danish Resistance fighters held prisoners in the roof..
The subject of my build, on the approach to bomb the building hit a light mast which caused it to crash. The following aircraft saw the smoke and assume that that was the target. Under radio silence they started to bomb. Unbeknown to the pilots they started to bomb a nearby school. Being a daylight raid the school was full of children and staff.
One of the pilots realised what was happening and broke the radio silence and stopped further bombs being dropped on the School.

The people of Denmark although shocked saw that it was a pure accident and did not lay blame of hate or begrudge the RAF.
There is a very good film "the shadow in my eye" or the original title "Skyggen i mit øje". Which depicts the event well. I believe it might also go under the name "the bombardment" on Netflix
Wing commander P.A. Kleboe and flight officer R.J.W. Hall died instantly in the crash.
125 Danish civilians, of which 86 where school children died in the attack.
6 aircraft and nine crew where lost. One taken prisoner.
55 German and 47 Danish workers in the Building along with the 8 Prisoners in the roof space.
So sorry for the late reply Ian, but rules is rules, but you’ve posted sprue shots so all is well.
Looking forward to seeing your build, and such an harrowing story to go with it.
Nice start.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No worries Ian, I was put in place.
Any how been grabbing a bit here and there and almost ready to start splattering primer around.
20220704_163947.jpg

20220704_164002.jpg

Started to stick bits of cockpit together, I can see that some of it will need paint early on so I better get on it!