Ian M's Mk VI, 1/48 Tamiya.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps. Just threw some interior green at it. Ready for a bit of primer soon.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A quick update befor I head out the door.
20220715_114910.jpg
Not much to show today. Here is the Interior colour on the frames for the cockpit.

20220715_114924.jpg
I saw someone do their mossie "relaxed" and I thought 'I'm 'aving some of that'.
Then I remembered that the Tamiya offering has ALL the control surfaces in one with the surface it should control! B*gger, out with the saw..
An hour later... Best way to part them is to use a panel cutter most of the way through at an angle along the leading edge of the flappy bit you what to part off. A micro saw for the ends and then finish the cut along the flap with a sharp blade.
Then having cut them all off, I stuck them back on again!!

comments welcome.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I do like the term " flappy bit " Not one I've come across before. :surprised:

Looks good Ian:thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Best way to part them is to use a panel cutter most of the way through at an angle along the leading edge of the flappy bit you what to part off.

I do like the term " flappy bit " Not one I've come across before. :surprised:

Gentlemen, they are "flappy things", not bits...........Bits are usually tiny, but things are much larger in size.....See my build....

Great job Ian!!! Shame you had to cut yours to position them. My Revell kit has them as separate pieces so you could position them any way you want. Same with the flappy things on the big wings too............

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
Having the flaps etc fitted "off straight" is a great idea. Looks that bit more interesting. Interior colour cockpit frames is another really nice attention to detail.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So. (After a short pause du to not being able to stand on my feet).
I got some paint down.
20220718_163454.jpg

20220718_163417.jpg
The Underside is now Medium Sea Grey From Xtracrylix a paint that I am very happy to use for aircraft. They spray well and give a good finish. AND they are not 100% opaque, so a whiz to get a preshade going. Like all things paint, its just a question of knowing when to stop. Stop when you think you are almost there. wait the 30 seconds it takes to dry off to see the effect. Then its either stop and be happy or a quick mist here and there, a bit full focus in the center of panels to build the colour. I have found with Vallejo you think you have it and stop. when it dries it is almost all hidden. I am though trying to learn Model Air a bit better. hmm.
Anyway...
Got the legs sorted and the wheels on. gave them a bit of grime.
20220718_163046.jpg
Need to work out where the brake lines need to be....

20220718_163157.jpg20220718_163203.jpg
Underside ID lights! Knew there was something I had forgotten! (complet with smudge! And a crack in the seam! Bugger)!

20220718_163107.jpg
The hatch of the 24" camera, (which was not fitted in the fighter/bomber). Some had a solid hatch, some had the hatch patched So My guess was solid hatch.
(good place to put the duty frees...)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
So. (After a short pause du to not being able to stand on my feet).
I got some paint down.
View attachment 458833

View attachment 458832
The Underside is now Medium Sea Grey From Xtracrylix a paint that I am very happy to use for aircraft. They spray well and give a good finish. AND they are not 100% opaque, so a whiz to get a preshade going. Like all things paint, its just a question of knowing when to stop. Stop when you think you are almost there. wait the 30 seconds it takes to dry off to see the effect. Then its either stop and be happy or a quick mist here and there, a bit full focus in the center of panels to build the colour. I have found with Vallejo you think you have it and stop. when it dries it is almost all hidden. I am though trying to learn Model Air a bit better. hmm.
Anyway...
Got the legs sorted and the wheels on. gave them a bit of grime.
View attachment 458828
Need to work out where the brake lines need to be....

View attachment 458830View attachment 458831
Underside ID lights! Knew there was something I had forgotten! (complet with smudge! And a crack in the seam! Bugger)!

View attachment 458829
The hatch of the 24" camera, (which was not fitted in the fighter/bomber). Some had a solid hatch, some had the hatch patched So My guess was solid hatch.
(good place to put the duty frees...)
Coming on nicely Ian. Agree about Model Air, with my 109s I went as far as letting it dry completely party way through just to be in the safe side.

Again great work.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Fun with tape. (or madness will ensue.)
Odd today the temperature is 8 - 10 deg C cooler than yesterday, however the humidity is way up there where it's not nice. Feels worse today than yesterday.
Coolish, in the cave so I got going with the masking. First job was to find the laminating machine!
20220721_121407.jpg
Having laminated the large paint guide sheet the masking tape is much easier to peel off, so Im good for at least five or six mossies again.
20220721_121350.jpg
Wings, the easiest bit, masked, Fuselage not as easy.
But a bit of playing and we get there in the end. I find it easier to just place the tape on the fuselage 'sort of' the right place then draw the cut with a soft pencil. Peel the tape off, cut it and them try to get it back in the right place.
20220721_131345.jpg20220721_131350.jpg20220721_131400.jpg
A few random curves cut in scraps of tape are great for "fine tuning" the shape

Enough for today. I am off to the harbour for a nice Soft Ice. Thanks Maggie T

Comments, as always are welcome.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Like the laminator idea. I used an OHP transparency over the destructions when I did the same thing with a Spitfire a couple of years ago.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m wondering if my paper tissue idea will work with photocopy paper. Might try it on my build….nothing much to lose…

Basically;
-Scan the required areas.
-Print out on photocopy paper.
-Cut out template from scan.
-Affix template ends using masking tape.
-Moisten cartridge paper until it conforms to the surface and leave to dry. It should then stay put.
-Spray pattern as required.
-Moisten photocopy paper to remove.

It might not stick well enough to spray over, but as it only costs a sheet or two of printer paper I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I’m wondering if my paper tissue idea will work with photocopy paper. Might try it on my build….nothing much to lose…

Basically;
-Moisten cartridge paper until it conforms to the surface and leave to dry. It should then stay put.

It might not stick well enough to spray over, but as it only costs a sheet or two of printer paper I’ll give it a shot and see what happens.
Now that's an interesting idea!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I do have a very old can of 3M spray mount (the repositionable one, red can) kicking around somewhere, so coating the back with that might work as well…..

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I do have a very old can of 3M spray mount (the repositionable one, red can) kicking around somewhere, so coating the back with that might work as well…..
Are you sure it's repositionable,Tim? Last time I looked that was the blue can......
I guess if you are very sparing you will probably get away with it.
Good luck
N

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Basically;

Should work but be careful with sticking it down, not sure where the cartridge paper comes into it.
A thing I have done in the past, is to make a paper mask from a photocopy then hold them in place with thin rolls of white tac. Thus holding g the mask just off the surface. Spraying directly at 90 degrees gives a nice soft edge.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Fun with tape. (or madness will ensue.)
Odd today the temperature is 8 - 10 deg C cooler than yesterday, however the humidity is way up there where it's not nice. Feels worse today than yesterday.
Coolish, in the cave so I got going with the masking. First job was to find the laminating machine!
View attachment 458939
Having laminated the large paint guide sheet the masking tape is much easier to peel off, so Im good for at least five or six mossies again.
View attachment 458938
Wings, the easiest bit, masked, Fuselage not as easy.
But a bit of playing and we get there in the end. I find it easier to just place the tape on the fuselage 'sort of' the right place then draw the cut with a soft pencil. Peel the tape off, cut it and them try to get it back in the right place.
View attachment 458940View attachment 458941View attachment 458942
A few random curves cut in scraps of tape are great for "fine tuning" the shape

Enough for today. I am off to the harbour for a nice Soft Ice. Thanks Maggie T

Comments, as always are welcome.
VERY nice work there Ian :cool:,
Loving the transformation from "Instruction sheet" to real life:thumb2:,
.... Wish i`d seen/realised that before..... I bought a Masking set for mine!!:flushed:...... Can`t beat a bit of Tamiya Tape eh?!!;):hungry:,
Cracking stuff mate!
Andy

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Are you sure it's repositionable,Tim? Last time I looked that was the blue can......
I guess if you are very sparing you will probably get away with it.
Good luck
N
Could well be right Neil. I may have mixed them up, I’ve got an old can of the blue one as well…..