Ian M's Mk VI, 1/48 Tamiya.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should work but be careful with sticking it down, not sure where the cartridge paper comes into it.
A thing I have done in the past, is to make a paper mask from a photocopy then hold them in place with thin rolls of white tac. Thus holding g the mask just off the surface. Spraying directly at 90 degrees gives a nice soft edge.
Cartridge paper was a typo Ian….I meant photocopy paper.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Should work but be careful with sticking it down, not sure where the cartridge paper comes into it.
A thing I have done in the past, is to make a paper mask from a photocopy then hold them in place with thin rolls of white tac. Thus holding g the mask just off the surface. Spraying directly at 90 degrees gives a nice soft edge.
I have free handed Camo in the past Ian, spraying in towards the middle of the colour shape at about 120 degrees gives a pretty good soft edge as well. Not sure I’m enough up to speed with airbrushing these days to pull it off now though.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
VERY nice work there Ian :cool:,
Cheers Andy.
I have free handed Camo in the past Ian, spraying in towards the middle of the colour shape
I free handed my Lynx a while back as the mask up was a nightmare and there was far to much over spray. Did a respray 'free hand' Aided by some hair spray...
Cartridge paper was a typo Ian….I meant photocopy paper.
Now if you had said blotting paper I would not have batted an eye lid...Hmmm

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Paper types and bond weights is not an area i want to stray into Bob…..just think of cartridge paper as heavy copier paper and you won’t be far out…..
Dunno who Bob is ?....  BUT ...
I was thinking of a more, shall we say,"Toilet based", subject ;) !!!
ANDY :smiling3:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Cheers Andy.

I free handed my Lynx a while back as the mask up was a nightmare and there was far to much over spray. Did a respray 'free hand' Aided by some hair spray...

Now if you had said blotting paper I would not have batted an eye lid...Hmmm
Not sure that would feed through my inkjet printer Ian? Sounds like a worthwhile idea if it could though. I just like the idea that damp paper moulds so well to a surface…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Dunno who Bob is ?....  BUT ...
I was thinking of a more, shall we say,"Toilet based", subject ;) !!!
ANDY :smiling3:
Sorry Andy. It was ‘er indoors’ birthday yesterday and I blame too much wine……trouble is I do this when I’m sober as well….
Toilet based products (actually kitchen based ones are better) work great for masking wheel wells and other sundry holes in the airframe. Just drop them in wet, and mould them to fill the void as you want, and let them dry. To get them out, just make them wet again….
Not sure they’d work well for Camo masking though….too flimsy.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not sure that would feed through my inkjet printer Ian?
No that would not end well. lol

If you have, or know someone that has, a laser printer... You could make a line drawing off the sheet, revers it in the editing software then print it out on the laser printer. Then the sneaky bit. Lay the print face down on the blotting paper, Iron with warm iron (the wife can show you how it works. :tears-of-joy: ) Ta daaaaaaaaa! The laser print is now on the blotting paper.
This also works for printing parts onto plastic or plywood sheet.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I no longer have easy access to a laser printer (or stand alone photocopier, which should do the same job) since I retired unfortunately. This discussion is raising ideas though. I wonder if a photocopy would stick to damp blotting paper well enough to allow successful cutting out of the pattern? If it does, we could recreate the rubber sheet patterns, used in the WW2 factories to create camouflage on the aircraft, from blotting paper ;)

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I no longer have easy access to a laser printer (or stand alone photocopier, which should do the same job) since I retired unfortunately. This discussion is raising ideas though. I wonder if a photocopy would stick to damp blotting paper well enough to allow successful cutting out of the pattern? If it does, we could recreate the rubber sheet patterns, used in the WW2 factories to create camouflage on the aircraft, from blotting paper ;)
I once used a cut up latex glove to create camo patterns, it worked quite well if i remember correctly, not too sure how i stuck it down though. i probably used pva glue

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Anyway getting back onto the matter at hand.
I got the camo down Thursday after that well deserved Ice. The cue for soft ice was insane so we ended up getting an Italian Ice at the Cafe at the harbour.
Saw this while there! rather nice and VERY SMALL!
20220721_140658.jpg
And very nice it was too!
Any how.
Today I had a bit of time so popped into the cave for a while.
Got some masks cut in frisk film for the codes and went for it:
20220723_154126.jpg

20220723_154137.jpg
Mixed up some Type S Sky and trying to keep overspray down I went at it.
20220723_155636.jpg
Cross bar on the H is a bit wonky! bugger. lol
20220723_155653.jpg

Mind you if you think the H is a bit wonky, you should see the tip of my airbrush needle...
20220723_155345.jpg
Bagder Airbrush needle are indestructible I hear some place... Wrong. Knocked my airbrush on the floor. Hard laminat floor 1 Airbrush 0
Another thing that amazes me is the state of the needle. Not in the habit of studying them under a magnifier. I have seen smoother nails than that! No wonder I have been fighting with her the last few jobs. Having now shafted the needle I think that New Airbrush is a lot closer than it was yesterday..

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cute little Cinquecento there Ian. Codes have come out well, much nicer than decals. As for the poor AB needle - OUCH!!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Nevermind a slightly "wonky" looking H crossbar...... That's looking superb to me so far Ian :smiling3:
That camo is excellent and shows the size of these planes somehow?!!
It's just making me SO eager to start mine!!....
But,NO ,get behind me Satan.... I  must finish my Spitfire first!! ;)
Cracking build Sir, looking forward to the next installment!
Andy

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nevermind a slightly "wonky" looking H crossbar...... That's looking superb to me so far Ian :smiling3:
That camo is excellent and shows the size of these planes somehow?!!
It's just making me SO eager to start mine!!....
But,NO ,get behind me Satan.... I  must finish my Spitfire first!! ;)
Cracking build Sir, looking forward to the next installment!
Andy
My thoughts exactly.... On ALL counts..... Except substitute 109s for your Spitfire.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well. Not much to write about today. Its little bits day!
Sorted that H out a bit. it was annoying me to much to just ignore. still a bit wonky I can see on this rather close photo.
Ah the serials. Believe it or not but the S and the Z ARE the same size. That S does look smaller though! lol
Put the decals down yesterday, and the thankfully, very few stencils today. Then it was doors. Bomb bay and landing gear doors.
Now waiting for 100%dry so I can do maybe a little bit of weathering!20220727_113357.jpg20220727_113413.jpg20220727_113547.jpg
We will have to wait a while befor the next thrilling instalment. Can have to much excitement at once. Can we?

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking good Ian, yep that's enough excitement or I'll have to change my tena lady :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
All looking very fine Ian.
We will have to wait a while before the next thrilling instalment. Can have to much excitement at once. Can we?
I can barely control my excitement - what a hobby this is :smiling: