Ian M's Mosquito Mk VI ,Tamiya 1/48 (Papa 695's Mossie GB).

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well not a lot to say about the kit. It was a Tamiya. The fit was great, the destructions clear, and the decals thick. so just what you expect. The kit almost builds itself.
Here is My version of SZ977 of 21 squadron. HT - Y Lost during a bombing raid over Copenhagen.
The aircraft hit a light pole with a wing tip which sent it out of control and crashing into a local school. The resulting smoke and fire confused some of the following aircraft into thinking the school was their target, thus dropping their bombs onto the school.
Fortunately the error was seen and the remaining bombers diverted their attention to the correct target. Shell House.

Painted with Xtracrylix acrylic paints over Stynylrez primer. (dont you just love some of the name paints have these days!)?
Undercarriages painted with Alclad white Aluminium.
Totally OOB with the exception of the pilot tube on the tail which is scratched from brass tube...
The build thread is here if you missed it: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/ian-ms-mk-vi-1-48-tamiya.39672/page-4
20220728_110150.jpg20220728_110204.jpg20220728_110216.jpg20220728_110227.jpg20220728_110237.jpg20220728_110258.jpg20220728_110316.jpg20220728_110327.jpg20220728_110351.jpg
Hope you like her.
Comments and suggestions welcome.
If I go back to it to seal things down, I'll post a couple of pictures up in here...dont hold your breath though. lol

Thanks to Ian (papa695) for getting the GB off the ground.
Right I'm off to see if I can find an Airbrush.

Last edited:

Flip

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ian,
Are you building all of these at the same time? (Mossie, Spitfire etc.) In ordinary parlance, that is called a production line :smiling2:
Lovely build
Kind regards,
John

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Ian,

A very fine job you've accomplished here Sir!!! Nothing wonky that I see at all. Just an overall nicely done Mossie. I can only hope that mine will be half as good as yours when it's done. I take it you only used 2 colors on the camo scheme, BS 637 and BS 241, or did you use 3???

Prost
Allen

PS, have you decided on which new hissy stick yet???

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian,

That's turned out beautifully. A reall top notch finish.

Very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well not a lot to say about the kit. It was a Tamiya. The fit was great, the destructions clear, and the decals thick. so just what you expect. The kit almost builds itself.
Here is My version of SZ977 of 21 squadron. HT - Y Lost during a bombing raid over Copenhagen.
The aircraft hit a light pole with a wing tip which sent it out of control and crashing into a local school. The resulting smoke and fire confused some of the following aircraft into thinking the school was their target, thus dropping their bombs onto the school.
Fortunately the error was seen and the remaining bombers diverted their attention to the correct target. Shell House.

Painted with Xtracrylix acrylic paints over Stynylrez primer. (dont you just love some of the name paints have these days!)?
Undercarriages painted with Alclad white Aluminium.
Totally OOB with the exception of the pilot tube on the tail which is scratched from brass tube...
The build thread is here if you missed it: https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/ian-ms-mk-vi-1-48-tamiya.39672/page-4
View attachment 459730View attachment 459731View attachment 459732View attachment 459733View attachment 459734View attachment 459735View attachment 459736View attachment 459737View attachment 459738
Hope you like her.
Comments and suggestions welcome.
If I go back to it to seal things down, I'll post a couple of pictures up in here...dont hold your breath though. lol

Thanks to Ian (papa695) for getting the GB off the ground.
Right I'm off to see if I can find an Airbrush.
Excellent stuff Ian!
I`m loving that.... a LOT:hugging-face:.....
As an aside,if you don`t mind me asking,did you use an acrylic black wash for the panel details..... or something else?
Hope mine comes out half as good..... when i finally get round to STARTING it that is!!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Afternoon Ian,

A very fine job you've accomplished here Sir!!! Nothing wonky that I see at all. Just an overall nicely done Mossie. I can only hope that mine will be half as good as yours when it's done. I take it you only used 2 colors on the camo scheme, BS 637 and BS 241, or did you use 3???

Prost
Allen

PS, have you decided on which new hissy stick yet???
Used the two on the top side and a 3rd on the belly if that is what you ment. Sea grey I think...hang on...
20220728_172417.jpg
Here you go. Medium sea grey for the underside, dark green and camouflage grey for the top. (probably should be Dark sea grey).
Maybe not 100% the correct grey for the top but close enough.

Hissy stick of the moment is a H&S Infinity CR plus (maybe the 2i1).

Cheers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Excellent stuff Ian!
I`m loving that.... a LOT:hugging-face:.....
As an aside,if you don`t mind me asking,did you use an acrylic black wash for the panel details..... or something else?
Hope mine comes out half as good..... when i finally get round to STARTING it that is!!
Thank you Andy.
I did titivate it a bit with some Vallejo Panel wash. Streaked it out with a dry brush to get the wind blown look.

I am sure that you too will do a great job.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian,
Are you building all of these at the same time? (Mossie, Spitfire etc.) In ordinary parlance, that is called a production line :smiling2:
Lovely build
Kind regards,
John
Nope built the spitfire first, then went into this one. Already started on the next victim.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Nice build Ian, this has turned out beautifully,

A real tribute to the original aircraft and the sad story behind her. The pictures really show her off brilliantly.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful result Ian , the xtracrylix spray lovely don't they , did you use their own thinner ? ( btw do hannants still sell them ? ) Ive got quite a few , used the rlm 66 on the focke wulf recently , they brush well too

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Ian, gives me something to hope for !

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
REALLY brilliant build that mossie when i look at your i keep thinking 633 sqr very well done Sir
chrisb mtb

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice build Ian, this has turned out beautifully,

A real tribute to the original aircraft and the sad story behind her. The pictures really show her off brilliantly.
Thank you Chris.

Beautiful result Ian , the xtracrylix spray lovely don't they , did you use their own thinner ? ( btw do hannants still sell them ? ) Ive got quite a few , used the rlm 66 on the focke wulf recently , they brush well too
Thanks Tony.
Yes the do spray well and ALWAYS give a good finish. I thin them with just a drop or three of water...I think Hannants still sell them. Bit of a hassle for me though. We had ONE shop in DK that had them but that has now closed.

Very nice Ian, gives me something to hope for !
Cheers. You can do it!

Great work Ian, many thanks for joining in.
Thank you and thank you. It is a well attended GB great idea.

REALLY brilliant build that mossie when i look at your i keep thinking 633 sqr very well done Sir
chrisb mtb
Thank you Chris.

Fun fact. Mr De Havilland has his birthday the 27th and the Mossies little sister the Hornet flew for the first time the 28th of this month