Well the fiddly bits are done and the bulk of the painting done. However I am really not happy about the colour on the quad. I had ordered some paint from track pads, but it seems to have gotten lost in the post...they have sent more but still waiting on that as it was only posted Monday. I am thinking of a light mud and dark brown camouflage as worn in the Sicily/Italy theatre.
As it stands now, its either plain sand or maybe mickey mouse camo.
The rust looks a bit bright in the pictures but I assure you that its not that bright. Honest.
I made a couple of tarps out of foil and a camouflage net out of some insect net, to dress the limber a bit and also as a muzzle bag. Under transport the guns breach, sights and aiming controls would also have been covered to keep them clean. My convoy is just getting going, so they have not covered those parts yet. And it would be a shame to hide all that detail under a tarp.
Why you are not happy...? Looking good so far. This vehicle will change so much with weathering!!! Don't worry!!! Personaly, I love it so much. Sorry for ask (I don't know), the mickey mouse camo is on Brown or black like the modern ones??
Looks great, and I will be waiting for your next step!
I am another who has looked in out of curiosity - A very nice build here Ian. Impressive detail. The last 'soft-armour' I built was the Tammy 88 back when it came out first, in the 70's, when I did a diorama.
Maybe when my stash of aircraft is done I will try some armour again now you have whetted my appetite....
looks the biz..i especially like the artillery looks quality bud like the stowage at the back ian makes it more realistic..ive seen the tamiya box with both these in might right it down for my xmas list..
Its not that I am unhappy with the paint job, its just the colour lol. Still I have just to figure out how to do the MM camo with out making a total mess of things. I might have a look and see if I can find the frisk film....
Na the thing is I saw a 25/17 Pheasant bring towed by a Quad on a road in Sicily and it had a rather unusual camouflage. So I thought I'm having some of that! After a bit of background work I found me way to which colours where the most likely. These where so ordered over the from Track pads.
Then I found noticed that the quad was a Morris C8 and not a Chevy, which the Tamiya quad is. The paints did not turn up and they are presumed lost in the post. (Andy at Track pads is sending some more though). So I painted the quad and gun as per the destructions. It's not that I am not pleased with the paint job. It's just not the one I wanted to do so I am a little bothered by it.
A Ha! the good news is that John is now going to have to come all the way to Denmark to give me a slap. I tried to figure out the masking for the MM camo and failed BIG TIME. No paint was sprayed dont worry.
So I chucked the masks in the bit and grabbed a hairy stick. Well the real ones would of been painted up in the field so why not....
Oh right, now know where this is going (me bad). I forgot they did mickey mouse for the theatre you are doing, i thought it was a repaint Ian lol (think i got out of that and if not, get the Akvavit ready). Looking good and the new tarp is a lot better than the kits tarp.