IBG Autocannone 3RO with 90/53 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
DSCF3192.JPG

This the next build on the bench and something a little different as the title suggests this is the 90/53 AAA mounted on the Lancia 3 Ro truck. for those who may not know the reason there are two numbers in the ordnance(Gun) title the first number is the calibre the second number is the length of the barrel given in calibres for example it is a 90mm gun and the length of the barrel is 53 x 90mm .....4,700mm.

This is only my second IBG build. On opening the large box you are faced with 17 sprues moulded in light grey styrene. the plastic is quite soft with very large gates and a bit of flash but nothing to bad. Also included are 2 clear sprues, 1 bag of wheels, 1 sheet of PE and finally a decal sheet.

The build will be mainly out of the box with a little scratch here and there using the reference material I have, at this point I must thank Prichard1 (Paul) for sending me a CD with a lot of useful pictures.

I have made a start on the engine and will be adding a little detail as I will be having the bonnet open as was often the case.

Hope you can join me along the way.

cheers Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
An unusual subject. Sounds interesting. I didn't know the significance of the numbers. I'm assuming it is a WW2 period vehicle.
Jim
Jim, good to have you along mate. Yes mate used mainly in North Africa.
Its a production line of quality!
If I had a business relying on my production line I would go bust mate.
Looks like another interesting vehicle Scottie.
Hi Tim, I hope so I have not seen many build, hopefully I can keep the thread interesting.
I'll join you for this Scottie. Looking forward to some more of your magic....

Nick
Cheers Nick, good to see you, but not sure about magic.
Big fan of IBG so will be interested how this build goes. Great to see something different. Good luck my friend
Steve, I have only built, well started one other IBG that is the funk wagon which is a bit of and my only shelf queen.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
As I said earlier I intend to have the bonnet side grills left off as this will be in the desert . So a little tweak was in order the mounting bracket had the holes added. Pipe work and injector lines were added. The very thick fan belt was replaced with masking tape and the fan scratched to replace the very thick fan which if scaled up would have weight 1/2 a ton lol.

DSCF3236.JPG

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is going to be a slow build all the parts require cleaning up and the fit is not good. The chassis went together quite well. the towing pintle had the walls thinned down and a chain added.

I have also made start on the front axle, by cutting out the steering arms so I can give the wheels a bit of a an angle from straight ahead.

DSCF3237.JPG

DSCF3238.JPG

DSCF3239.JPG

cheers
Scottie

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I must admit I am not enjoying this build at all. Every part takes so much cleaning up because of the massive gates, couple that with dubious location and soft detail every part takes ages.

I have done a little work on the front axle so that I can give the wheels a bit steer. I am not going overboard as it wont be seen.

DSCF3240.JPG

The chassis is underway as well. The treadplate on the step has been added from etch sheet from the spares bin.

DSCF3241.JPG

The springs have also had a bit of detailing.

I have another kit on order so this may be continued or it may be put to one side.

cheers
Scottie

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Scottie
Sometimes when a kit gives us grief and we spend time and effort putting right problems that shouldn't exist we get an immense sense of satisfaction when we end up with a fine model.
Well I'm sure with you skills and attention to detail this will be the case here. I can already seen fine work to sort it.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I must admit I am not enjoying this build at all. Every part takes so much cleaning up because of the massive gates, couple that with dubious location and soft detail every part takes ages.

I have done a little work on the front axle so that I can give the wheels a bit steer. I am not going overboard as it wont be seen.

View attachment 443995

The chassis is underway as well. The treadplate on the step has been added from etch sheet from the spares bin.

View attachment 443996

The springs have also had a bit of detailing.

I have another kit on order so this may be continued or it may be put to one side.

cheers
Scottie
"not going overboard", he says:rolling:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie
Sometimes when a kit gives us grief and we spend time and effort putting right problems that shouldn't exist we get an immense sense of satisfaction when we end up with a fine model.
Well I'm sure with you skills and attention to detail this will be the case here. I can already seen fine work to sort it.
Jim
Jim, I do agree mate that is why I often prefer to do the cheaper end models that need a bit of work. it may just be a bit of lost mojo I will persevere.
"not going overboard", he says:rolling:
Neil, lol trust me

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Any seats left please Paul ?
I'll stand if need be , I laughed out loud when I read as Neil saw " not going overboard "
Hope you keep going and produce another of your great builds .
Is that cross bar on the steering a piece of copper that you have made ?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Scottie this is looking very good an the copper stearing bar looks brilliant carry on sir as this needs to be built an you are doin a sterling job of it like neil says love what you have done so far an will follow on
ATB
CHRIS

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Any seats left please Paul ?
I'll stand if need be , I laughed out loud when I read as Neil saw " not going overboard "
Hope you keep going and produce another of your great builds .
Is that cross bar on the steering a piece of copper that you have made ?
Hello John, always a space for you mate. Yes mate its a piece of 0.6mm copper wire with the ends flattened and drilled.
I’ll be seated by John Paul. Amazing work so far keep the details coming.
Lee I will put you in the VIP seats next to John, it's where I keep the choccy biscuits.
HI Scottie this is looking very good an the copper stearing bar looks brilliant carry on sir as this needs to be built an you are doin a sterling job of it like neil says love what you have done so far an will follow on
ATB
CHRIS
Chris, good to see you mate, if your quick there might still be some biscuits.