Italeri 1:48 Wessex X-Q

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
0900 15 May, done, with two weeks spare. Yeah..........

So, this is what I've been building since April. The Italeri 1:48 scale Westland Wessex HU 5, even though they call it a UH 5. I'm fairly sure it should be Helicopter utility - HU. This is just one example of a couple of quality control issues with the kit. That's not to say the kit is bad, it isn't, but their instructions do mix the landing gear legs up. Then there was the colour for the Falklands scheme, other than a name, Italeri couldn't be bothered to cross reference this with a colour number. But to be quite honest, these are minor points. the kit is still well worth building. The detail is great. Three schemes are offered, this is probably the least interesting, but it was the Falkland one I wanted to build.

This aircraft was down there during the war (conflict if you must - conflict really ! this is something me and the wife have, not where people get killed) and was they aircraft that rescued Simon Weston OBE. X-Q also got damaged by a nearby mortar going off as the aircraft was flying along. This just shows how low these helicopters flew. The aircraft gained a few holes in the fuselage, but no one was hurt.

I built this model after reading this book.

View attachment 63251

A good book describing the use of helicopters in the Falklands very well, all from the point of view of a young Wessex pilot.

X-Q involved in the rescuing soldiers and sailors of the Sir Galahad.

View attachment 63252

According to the book, the Soldier on his hands and knees in the doorway, was SAS. He was picked up earlier from the side of a mountain, when he was seen walking along by himself. Just after he accepted a lift from the Wessex, the call came about the airstrike and X-Q set off to help. At the end of a long day when all the rescues were completed, they asked where they could drop the SAS man off, his reply was something like 'Anywhere, just not back there' They had all witnessed some horrific injuries during the day.

So, my very small tribute the Wessex pilots of the Falklands war.

View attachment 63253View attachment 63254View attachment 63255View attachment 63256View attachment 63257View attachment 63258View attachment 63259

View attachment 64596

View attachment 64597

View attachment 64598

View attachment 64599

View attachment 64600

View attachment 64601

View attachment 64602

View attachment 64603

View attachment 64604

scram-the-gripping-first-hand-account-of-the-helicopter-war-in-the-falklands.jpg

article-2118874-120DF12F000005DC-379_468x454.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Two week left!!! I think I'm going to miss this one !

Colin you have made a great job of that. Looks very much the part.

five stars on the way.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Superb job Colin, love the paint work. Might have a crack at one of these some time. 5 Star from me too. Cheers Derek

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks all for having a look. Ian, oh come on, two weeks, there must be something nice and small you can manage. But seriously, I know what you mean Ian, I wanted to do the Phantom SIG, but knew there was no way I could do both.

T

tecdes

Very nice Colin. Great & superb attention to detailing.

I built recently the Revell type but the Italeri has much better detailing. Now I am jealous !

Laurie

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Colin, magnificent result mate, your Wessex is superb. A good paint job and great attention to detail. An interesting history to the helicopter too, thanks for sharing that bit of it too.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's cracking Colin, I like it a lot and I'm really envious of your skills.

5 well earned stars from me.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thanks for all the comments gentlemen. But please remember it's a well detailed kit with lots of interesting lumps and bumps calling out to be highlighted. I'm sure anyone could get a good result out of this kit. If you like it - try it, you won't be dissapointed.

The problem for me is, I think I want to build another 'copter..........but what ? ?

Colin M....

T

treyzx10r

Totally awesome looking Colin! Really sharp build with a great looking paint job! Very nicely done Sir!!! 5 very well deserved stars!!!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Colin. Sorry I haven't replied sooner to your excellent Wessex build. It's that good it prompted me to buy the kit also. It will be my first helicopter kit and I'll be doing the exact same bird as you. If mine turns out like yours I'll be happy.

This is a bit of a tangent but bear with me, I've recently purchased Dragon's 1/700 Invincible, Sheffield and Antelope so I'm getting a bit of a Falklands theme going. The kits were on offer in Modelzone (part of the closing sale) and I thought, what the hell, so those will be my first ship models too.

Cracking build, great looking helicopter

5 stars

ATB

Paul

P

Polux

Sorry Colin, me too, I lost this thread.

Excellent work. It's a very nice one!

Five stars job.

PS: like it very much your explication

Cheers

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Fantastic build , I always loved the Wessex and you've done her proud there , looks like I can another one to my wish list :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hello all,

I was a bit surprised to see this one crop up.

Paul, nice idea you have going there, a Falkland theme, the possibilities are nearly endless. I'll be interested to see your results.

Thanks Polux, it was one of those builds that just came out right. You know how it is sometimes.

One for the wish list Alan ? yes this one I worth it - filppin' big as well.

Colin M..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
To my eternal shame I've missed this completely...Sorry Colin.

What a superb model and the paintwork is 'par excellance.' All those fiddly decals too!

One all round top job.

Note to me....Must be more observant in the future!!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Not at all Ron,

We have a nice active forum full of great builds and I miss plenty. Thanks for having a look, but as I said earlier, it's a great kit. I'm sure any one here could get a good result from this kit. Italeri have produced a nice one here..

Colin m......

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Beautiful model Colin, a real treat to the eye, well built. A great build from me.

Si:smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Wow - what a fantastic job you did of that one. Looks so lifelike. Top of the class mate.

Andy