Iwatalube, necessary or not?

Watto

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
"Ay up team" I was wondering what your thoughts are on using the lubricant that is supplied with Iwata airbrushes? I've heard folks say it isn't necessary and others say " it's supplied for a reason "

I personally use it every time I use my airbrush but, wondered if others do?

Also, what can be used when the little tube runs out, the cost of replacement seems quite high so is there a cheaper alternative?

Watto.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I wouldn't use the word necessary as I rarely use it, but it can help to keep things moving smoothly.

I guess for me it's a carry over from the day job. Some of my Iwata spray guns are over 20 years old, used & abused daily, and hardly ever get lubed (or stripped for cleaning)

It's funny that they supply it with their airbrushes. My latest pair of Iwata guns were £600 each and I didn't get any :tears-of-joy:although I did get a Christmas cracker style screwdriver for changing the battery lol

Edit: As for the cost, using a drop or two each time it should last a very long time.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I use it only after the airbrush has had a thorough clean. After an ab session I normally just flush through with an appropriate cleaner but I use the lube if I've removed the needle.

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
I rub a small amount onto the whole needle, after every clean, that way it gets to the seals as well.
I've had my two Iwata's for about 15 years now, and they still work as they did when I bought them, so I must be doing it right,

Watto

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Looks like the general consensus is that it does get used by a fair few modellers.

What about other lubricants?

Does anyone have an alternative?

I’ve read that the Iwatalube is glycerin based…

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Never used a lube in an airbrush. Acrylic paint thinners and cleaners have a 'soap' in them (most in Cleaner) so not needed.
Enamel paints I clean up with White spirits which again are self lubing to a point.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I think Badgers version, Regdab, works out much cheaper than the Iwata.

I don't know if it's as good but at least it's made specifically for the purpose, rather than risking something else.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mine’s called superlube, since rebranded as Iwatta lube. Quite pricy really, Redgab looks to be about half the price.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Personally I would only use a lubricant designed specifically for airbrush use. I would never risk WD40 or sewing machine oil etc
I’ve used WD40 and it’s never caused a problem. However, I am just talking about wiping the needle with a cloth dampened with the stuff, not a full on, full power spray.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I slap it about after a major clean, seems to make a difference, well it feels like it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I use it but only on the plunger under the trigger. The pin thats fastened to the trigger goes through a rubber washer before making contact with the air valve pin. This rubber can sometimes be a bit sticky causing a slow return or sticking trigger

Last edited: