Iwatalube, necessary or not?

Watto

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
It’s definitely looking like most folks do use it

I must admit that I find the smoothness of operation is maintained by using the lube but, I’m a bit fanatical about the cleanliness and care of my airbrushes.

Watto.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Many years ago, someone put me onto using olive oil on the needle.....drop on a piece of kitchen towel, let it soak in and then lightly drag the needle through... Never had a problem and VERY cheap.

Also used it on a sticky trigger as I had nothing else to hand and worked a treat!!

Just a thought.

Andrew

Watto

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nicholas
Many years ago, someone put me onto using olive oil on the needle.....drop on a piece of kitchen towel, let it soak in and then lightly drag the needle through... Never had a problem and VERY cheap.

Also used it on a sticky trigger as I had nothing else to hand and worked a treat!!

Just a thought.

Andrew
Now that really makes sense, olive oil is inert as far as I’m aware so it would do the job nicely without any issues, good shout Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Now that really makes sense, olive oil is inert as far as I’m aware so it would do the job nicely without any issues, good shout Andrew
Not inert Watto, but higher in monounsaturated than other cooking oils so more resistant to oxidation. It still thickens and goes sticky over time so I’d probably not use it myself. It’s a useful finish for chopping boards though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice one Tim, I've learnt something new again there...

From your advice the other day, I'm going to gloss clear coat my chopping board before I apply the decals
Great idea, it‘ll make it easier to weather as well…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Not inert Watto, but higher in monounsaturated than other cooking oils so more resistant to oxidation. It still thickens and goes sticky over time so I’d probably not use it myself. It’s a useful finish for chopping boards though.

Chopping boards you say!! Will have to give that a go!! Thanks Tim!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Olive oil is a very good lube. Popeye uses it all the time. There Some one went that low. I will give myself a warning and quarantine for 5 minutes.
I have at times, back on the subject, used that wonderful 'oil' that lubricates your spec's so they slide off your nose. wonderful stuff. Great for polishing the old pipe STOP IT! I mean the brier. STOP IT I SAID STOP IT. It is also very good for the ferrule of your fishing rod to stop them getting stuck...

OK if your all just going to sit there laughing I will find something else to do.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Olive oil is a very good lube. Popeye uses it all the time. There Some one went that low. I will give myself a warning and quarantine for 5 minutes.
I have at times, back on the subject, used that wonderful 'oil' that lubricates your spec's so they slide off your nose. wonderful stuff. Great for polishing the old pipe STOP IT! I mean the brier. STOP IT I SAID STOP IT. It is also very good for the ferrule of your fishing rod to stop them getting stuck...

OK if your all just going to sit there laughing I will find something else to do.
I now where you're coming from here. A bit off topic, but I sometimes put tamiya tape on my forehead, to de-tack it before use.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I think Badgers version, Regdab, works out much cheaper than the Iwata.

I don't know if it's as good but at least it's made specifically for the purpose, rather than risking something else.
I use that occasionally. Interesting that it seems to 'climb out' of the bottle!
Pete

A_J_Rimmer

SMF Supporter
First Name
Arnold

Oh God, I've been laughing my arse off at this thread - although why a simple four letter word causes such mirth probably says a lot about me.

I'm actually very impressed that this thread hasn't descended into humorous chaos yet.

images

andy55

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
As I've said before, I mix my own AB cleaner and use a few drops of pure glycerin in it. So everything gets lubed when I clean the AB.