Jakko's TC’s Hughes 500 from Magnum, P.I. Italeri 1/72

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ouch , shame about the paint lifting jakko , its looking brilliant though , hopefully another coat of orange will sort it , tiny thing isnt it !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It is tiny, that white masking tape is 3 mm wide. But I need to find first some way to remove the existing orange (preferably without lifting the tape), and then an orange paint that will actually stick to the model …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good, as I don’t have any Spraycraft airbrush cleaner :smiling3: Methylated spirits was indeed what I had in mind to try first.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
There seems to be some light on the horizon: though I still haven’t done anything more on the model, I yesterday decided to see if the paint just needed more drying time. A piece of masking tape stuck to the orange didn’t lift it off, so I guess waiting a day was too short. All I did then was to brush-paint some of the Badger orange over the lifted spots, and I’ll wait a few more days before doing another test to see if it will lift off then. If not, I can mask and spray the rest of the model …

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I gave the touchups the better part of a week to harden, then tested some masking tape on areas of orange paint that will be overpainted in brown and it didn’t lift. Hurrah! So I went on to mask the rest of the machine:

IMG_9692.jpeg

There will be an orange stripe in front of the rear yellow one, but the whole nose and upper tail are to be orange so I could just tape over those completely. Now to spray some brown. Tamiya acrylics, so that at least should go without a hitch. Airbrush willing, anyway …

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I hope that problem is sorted and that the brown goes on nicely. Something as simple as leaving the paint for an extra few days seems to be the answer.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It did go on well:

IMG_9693.jpeg

Then I removed the masking for the fuselage colours:

IMG_9694.jpeg

Followed by that on the windows, which was a lot harder:

IMG_9695.jpeg

Hard enough that I broke off the front of the right skid, so that had to be glued back on after taking the photo. I think the problem is that I masked them before glueing the windows into the fuselage, so the tape was also glued down in places. It still needs a little more work to get it all looking right,

But it’s clear that my masking was not up to @Andy T standards, though :smiling3: There are some bits of brown between the yellow and the orange, for example, so that will need retouching.

BTW, the bottom of the fin is not brown, but that’s not a mistake: it was black on the real thing, and will be painted later.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thanks, I’m fairly pleased with it myself, other than not having made sure there were no gaps between the tape for the yellow and orange stripes :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's smart , relived I bet !