Jim's 1/35 Trumpeter Sd.Kfz 7/1

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Start day tomorrow so time to introduce my contribution but first a thank you to Dave for suggesting and setting up this Group Build.

1661978524135.png

I started modelling in 2010 and bought this on eBay soon afterwards. I opened the box and realised immediately that it was way, way beyond my abilities at the time. It went in the stash and I think it may have stayed there but for Dave suggesting this GB. It still looks pretty daunting. Just a few stats.
531 parts on 12 sprues
336 track parts on another 7 sprues
102 pe parts on 5 frets
12 clear parts
plus tyres, decals etc
I didn't know it at the time but in the box were aftermarket metal barrels for the 2cm AA gun.

A review of the kit and sprue shots are HERE

I'm sure most of you know more about this vehicle than I do but THIS is a nice potted history.

So bench cleared ready for the off. Progress will be slow as we are away on holiday for a week in September but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Jim

Last edited:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Interesting one there Jim, there are some pictures of sdkfz 7 flak wagons in the Panzerwrecks series of books.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Front seat please Jim.
I like Trumpeter kits , always seem ok to me. You should enjoy this immensely.
Enjoy your holiday :thumb2:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice choice Jim and glad to see you're going to finally build it. It should be easy for a man with your skills and tidy bench. Enjoy your holiday and then, dive in Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for your interest guys :thumb2:

I thought I'd make a start before we go on our hols on Saturday. The first thing to build is the gearbox. This is because it fixes the position of the chassis rails. Typical of this kit it uses 10 parts when a couple would do!

inst 1.png

The two levers, D13 and D54, had snapped and were replaced with wire. The chassis was started.
P1070111.JPG

P1070112.JPG

One thing I find odd with this is that the detail is superb but the moulding is much less good. No flash and the round ejector marks are hardly noticeable but there are seam lines everywhere.
Nice detail....
P1070109.JPG
but....
P1070110.JPG

Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Jim. One of my pet hates there, mould lines across spring forms. They are a real ‘mare to clean up.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Four of those leaf springs will be hidden behind the roadwheels, though, so you can get away with only cleaning the upper side :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Welcome aboard Jim. There's been a great response to this GB with lots of different kits being made. I suspect yours has the highest parts count though.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just read the history Jim , quite a vehicle. Like the ref to reversing into combat with ground forces .

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Never built a Trumpy early version 7 but I imagine they are all engineered the same. To save yourself a few headaches I recommend you have a read through this: https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/trumpeter/tr01523.html. Most issues are an easy fix but without them it can really spoil the build. In particular the sprocket offset. Another personal tip I would give is NOT to fix the idler in position until fitting the tracks. This way you can get the sag you want before final fitment.

Another issue if authenticity bothers you is the trailer. It builds up well but is a ficticious mash up of two different types and never actually existed.

Good luck and look forward to progress

Last edited:

Panzerwrecker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Los
Any chance of a link to these. I'm always interested in things to make life easier :thinking:
Dont forget some leaf springs did have a seam line. Bit like some track wheel tyres. Not sure if these did but worth checking to avoid a bunch of work. The front suspension spring is visable if you model it articulated but the track springs are completely hidden behind the wheels so you dont really have to worry too much about those.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys. As always I appreciate you taking the trouble to post especially as there is so much great modelling going on on the forum at the moment.
Los - thanks for the link to PMMS review. I was aware of it, I had actually put a link to it in my first post. I will probably build this "as Trumpeter intended". The inaccuracies don't really bother me. I doubt the offset sprockets will be too noticeable and a bit of mud will cover a multitude of sins :tongue-out3: I look forward to seeing your Sd. Kfz 7 built especially if you intend to go with the suggested corrections.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I'll just have to scrape them off then - b****r! Mind you not much will be seen - hidden by the wheels and 'mud, glorious mud'
Those photos show the tyres well. Painting the centre doubles might need a bit of extra care.
Thanks Jakko, as always your knowledge is appreciated :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
FWIW, on the Dragon version of this vehicle, I found the tyres to be easy enough to paint (with a brush, after spraying the camouflage), even with the centre wheels glued together before painting.