First Name
Jakko
Removed? Not simply folded up?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The man said removed. As he was there and I wasn’t I took his word for it ;)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
The other thing I got from that talk was that the German mp40 with the stock removed was the British tank commander’s weapon of choice…..apparently it allowed a better field of fire close to the tank and was easier to store.
Interesting.

In a similar theme, I did read of a very sad story, I think in Tank Action by David Render. IIRC David Render's tank was in a very difficult situation and at the mercy of a German tank or AT gun. However, his best mate in command of another tank neutralised the threat, almost certainly saving David Render's life.

Unfortunately though, no sooner than the saving shot had been fired, than the submachine gun inside his mates tank, I think a Thompson, fell out its mount, hit the floor and dischargesld its entire magazine within the confines of the tank - killing his mate instantly.....

Thanks for the info.

Andrew

PS.... thinking about, I might have a 1/72 MP40 in the stash.....no harm adding it to the Cromwell with the commander and then wait for a rivet counter to cry foul!! ;)

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the submachine gun inside his mates tank, I think a Thompson, fell out its mount, hit the floor and dischargesld its entire magazine
That sounds like a Sten, which was prone to do that if it hit the ground the wrong way. The MP 38 and 40 were too, but got an additional safety to prevent it, in the form of a leather strap :smiling3: Stens never had even that luxury.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That sounds like a Sten, which was prone to do that if it hit the ground the wrong way. The MP 38 and 40 were too, but got an additional safety to prevent it, in the form of a leather strap :smiling3: Stens never had even that luxury.
Thanks Jakko. Will see if I can find the quote.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So I've finished Junior's meditating tank commander using the 'Marlow Method'.

Paints were mostly Vallejo Model Colour, although a pot of Life Color and one from Revell did make an appearance.

I know we pull Tim's leg a bit about his 'Marlow Method' but in all seriousness his series of posts on figure painting was a seminal moment for me when it came to figure painting.

I used to have panic attacks at the mere thought of doing figures, however, aside from the priming/wash and first two flesh coat layers, I had this finished in an afternoon today - never thought I'd say that. Thanks again Tim.

It's not quite up with Tim's but even under an optivisor he's not looking too shabby!

ACW as usual.

Andrew

and the usual calibration shot....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
A fine job there Andrew........love the flesh wash. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks really good Andrew. Have you tried any of the other washes in the range?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
A fine job there Andrew........love the flesh wash. Rick H.

Thanks Rick. It's turned out quite nicely. It actually looks a bit better in real life, as the lighting has washed it out a bit.

Looks really good Andrew. Have you tried any of the other washes in the range?

Hi Tim, I have indeed.....I've just seen your other post on the farmhouse on similar lines, so I'll explain properly on that.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
They are really good - well done! Too small for me...!
Steve
Thanks Steve, glad you like them....to be honest they're too small for me. As someone who is long sighted and has been wearing glasses for over 35 years, I couldn't do it without an optivisor!! :crying: :tired: :crying: :tired:

Thanks for dropping in.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excuse me Andrew.
Jakko your quite right in saying that about a sten gun , when my father was in Africa he went on guard duty . While the flag was being taken down at sunset his gun discharged a complete mag and the parade broke ranks and fled. It still makes me laugh now thinking of the panic. Fortunately he had the sten pointing down and no one was hit .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Excuse me Andrew.
Jakko your quite right in saying that about a sten gun , when my father was in Africa he went on guard duty . While the flag was being taken down at sunset his gun discharged a complete mag and the parade broke ranks and fled. It still makes me laugh now thinking of the panic. Fortunately he had the sten pointing down and no one was hit .
John

No need to apologies. Always useful to have this little facts in reserve. You've actually reminded me that I need to try to find the info on the incident.

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Excuse me Andrew.

Jakko, John

I've found David Render's obituary online and it mentions this very incident. It was a Sten gun and my recollection was not 100% correct as it turns out but close enough to the fundamentals. His full obituary can be found HERE, with the relevant extract as follows:

"After the breakout from Normandy, in the bridgehead around Nijmegen, close to the German border, his tank became bogged down on the side of a dyke in an open field. An 88mm anti-tank gun, hidden in trees, opened fire.

He wrote afterwards: “Caught broadside on to an enemy zeroing in on him with a lethal anti-tank gun is a tank commander’s worst nightmare. I felt the pressure wave of several pounds of high-velocity tungsten steel moving faster than the speed of sound whip-crack over my head.”

The second round ploughed a furrow next to the tank, showering him with dirt and temporarily blinding him. The members of his crew were frozen with fear. Just as they thought the end had come, a tank commander two fields away and screened by a row of poplars spotted their predicament and knocked out the enemy gun.

Render’s life and those of his crew had been saved by Harry Heenan, his best friend in the SRY
[Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry]. As soon as he got back to the leaguer that evening, Render looked for Heenan, only to be told that he was dead. In his elation at knocking out the gun and saving those lives, Heenan had grabbed the microphone to call Render on the radio. In doing so, he had dropped his Sten gun, which had fired a burst as it hit the turret floor and killed him."

I have come across one Facebook post on the topic, with a picture of Harry Heenan if you have search

John - if you don't mind me asking what was your father's role/unit out in Africa?

Thanks for the info again.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Excuse me Andrew.

Jakko, John

I've found David Render's obituary online and it mentions this very incident. It was a Sten gun and my recollection was not 100% correct as it turns out but close enough to the fundamentals. His full obituary can be found HERE, with the relevant extract as follows:

"After the breakout from Normandy, in the bridgehead around Nijmegen, close to the German border, his tank became bogged down on the side of a dyke in an open field. An 88mm anti-tank gun, hidden in trees, opened fire.

He wrote afterwards: “Caught broadside on to an enemy zeroing in on him with a lethal anti-tank gun is a tank commander’s worst nightmare. I felt the pressure wave of several pounds of high-velocity tungsten steel moving faster than the speed of sound whip-crack over my head.”

The second round ploughed a furrow next to the tank, showering him with dirt and temporarily blinding him. The members of his crew were frozen with fear. Just as they thought the end had come, a tank commander two fields away and screened by a row of poplars spotted their predicament and knocked out the enemy gun.

Render’s life and those of his crew had been saved by Harry Heenan, his best friend in the SRY
[Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry]. As soon as he got back to the leaguer that evening, Render looked for Heenan, only to be told that he was dead. In his elation at knocking out the gun and saving those lives, Heenan had grabbed the microphone to call Render on the radio. In doing so, he had dropped his Sten gun, which had fired a burst as it hit the turret floor and killed him."

I have come across one Facebook post on the topic, with a picture of Harry Heenan if you have search

John - if you don't mind me asking what was your father's role/unit out in Africa?

Thanks for the info again.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This video shows the problem very well:

Look closely at how far he can pull the bolt back before the sear catches it.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
This video shows the problem very well:

Look closely at how far he can pull the bolt back before the sear catches it.
Thanks Jakko. Much appreciated as I've learnt something else new.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Jakko. Much appreciated as I've learnt something else new.

ATB.

Andrew
My Father was in the RAF, we were in Bulawayo , date wise it must have been in the early 50's.The only other time he carried a firearm was in the 1960's in Hong Kong during the riots by Communist Chinese.