Karls Tamiya 1/48 F/P-51D

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Picked up this kit on eBay, wasn't too happy when it arrived to discover the main decal sheet was mouldy and the box showed signs that it was stored in a damp place.
But all the sprues are present and intact so it's still good.
IMG_20220901_130744.jpg
IMG_20220901_130800.jpg

I must of ordered decals quite quickly as I had forgotten I had gotten these and already squirrelled them away in the box.
IMG_20220901_131108.jpg
IMG_20220901_131042.jpg

Bottom scheme is for a b.
Now I have to pick a scheme, tempted by Miss Marilyn just as a break against the wall of bare aluminium this GB is bound to produce.
And now I've an excuse to finally use these.
IMG_20220901_131304.jpg

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice Karl should be a breeze knowing that it a Tamiya

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So went to the shed today after having a weekend that was just too busy. (Wee man had a procedure that required general anesthetic on Saturday and I worked Sunday morning and had cemetry Sunday to attend after.)
Plan was to prime and paint the office then zip up the fuselage, not doing much with the cockpit just a basic paint and wash job. But.........

The last person to use my airbrush didn't clean it, appears to not have even flushed it through, maybe they where distracted that it took seven attempts to get what they were doing to a point they were reasonably happy. (Though looking at it later they're still not happy.) They probably need a stern talking to over a pint so I'm having a pint later and mumbling to myself.........
So a complete strip down and clean was in order before squirting primer, I got some Mr. Tool Cleaner the other day and am happily impressed with it. Then reassembled the thing and primed the cockpit, but no pictures, but I'm sure grey bits of plastic now being black bits of plastic isn't that exciting anyway.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice kit Karl and have fun....Hmmm, now who might that have been, not cleaning the AB. Don't you hate it when you forget...I do.....Luckily, I only spray acrylics with it...........

Prost
Allen

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
So after little over an hour tonight I am almost ready for paint.
You forget how quickly Tamiya kits can go together at times.
I was going to have this with drop tanks, for which I needed to drill out holes, but I got excited and forgot.....

Just a bit of filling and fairing and to polish out a thumb print from TET deciding to follow a panel line rather than a joint.......

Masking and installing the canopy may be a good idea too.....

IMG_20220913_220402.jpg

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You let someone else borrow your airbrush ? This is like the end of civilisation as we know it. What next, let someone flip burgers on your BBQ ?
Flip burgers etc - oh come on, this is going too far into the realms of improbability ... ! Sharing loo roll next ;)
Steve

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good indeed Karl. Looking forward to seeing some paint!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
She’s building up quickly Karl. You say you have a tendency to rush. Well, if you check and adjust your prep work after primer you’ll be fine. Just remember that a metal finish seems to magnify surface flaws. A little extra time spent at that stage will pay dividends afterwards.