Last Ditch

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jack - looking good

One minor thing to note for future - use non-patterned tissues for tarps. That looks like kitchen roll - you can see the embossed pattern in it. The drape, creasing and paint look good though

More rubble in general plus a bit more dust and small rubble, both inside the building and out, would add to the look, as Jason mentioned - when buildings come down it all has to go somewhere and there is a lot of material making up a building

Screen shot 2010-04-27 at 06.45.51.png
Screen shot 2010-04-27 at 06.44.25.png

This stuff that John sells would be ideal Urban Scatter

or you can take a hammer to a spare house brick or plant pot and brew your own

Dio also needs rubble on the first floor

Hope that helps

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent progress Jack.

The model is 'Under construction' and not finished, so I'm sure as it proceeds, you will have plenty more ideas for stuff you will be adding to an already good looking diorama.

You must be well pleased with how it's shaping up....

Ron

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks very much Jason, yes will be plenty of dust...will be the final step when the figures are in.

Hi Jack - looking good

One minor thing to note for future - use non-patterned tissues for tarps. That looks like kitchen roll - you can see the embossed pattern in it. The drape, creasing and paint look good though

More rubble in general plus a bit more dust and small rubble, both inside the building and out, would add to the look, as Jason mentioned - when buildings come down it all has to go somewhere and there is a lot of material making up a building

View attachment 388851
View attachment 388852

This stuff that John sells would be ideal Urban Scatter

or you can take a hammer to a spare house brick or plant pot and brew your own

Dio also needs rubble on the first floor

Hope that helps
Thanks Simon

The original tarp was a bit of an experiment, but then it came out quite nicely so I decided to stick with the Aldi bog roll pattern, hoping it wouldn't be noticed. I do have some 'industrial' tissue on a big roll but am finding it doesn't 'fall' in quite the right way. The paper itself is a bit shinier.

Thanks for the suggestion of more rubble, I will add that. Helps having a second opinion there, I never know if I have gone too far/not far enough. And had not considered 1st floor rubble...great point! Yes will definitely be a fair bit more weathering and a hefty layer of dust on the way.

Excellent progress Jack.

I note the model is 'Under construction' and not finished, so I'm sure as it proceeds, you will have plenty more ideas for stuff you will be adding to an already good looking diorama.

You must be well pleased with how it's shaping up....

Ron
Thanks Ron...yes still plenty of tinkering to go. Enjoying this a lot, and learning plenty of dos and don't as I go.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
That looks really good, wish I had the skills to do something along those lines.

Andy.
Thanks Andy....this is my first attempt at a Dio, and it is surprisingly straightforward to get a really good effect. Looking through peoples work on here, and the odd youtube video are great inspirations...then your imagination is the limit.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
That 88mm looks really good. The dio base is coming on a treat.
Jim

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
The original tarp was a bit of an experiment, but then it came out quite nicely so I decided to stick with the Aldi bog roll pattern, hoping it wouldn't be noticed. I do have some 'industrial' tissue on a big roll but am finding it doesn't 'fall' in quite the right way. The paper itself is a bit shinier.

I found a ''lidl anti bacterial wipe'' once washed ( to get rid of anti-bac in it ) and dried has a nice canvas type surface to it.

Reactions: JR

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hi Jack
That 88mm looks really good. The dio base is coming on a treat.
Jim
Thanks Jim!
I found a ''lidl anti bacterial wipe'' once washed ( to get rid of anti-bac in it ) and dried has a nice canvas type surface to it.
I'll have to have a play with a few variations!
Jack,
All looking very good.
Many thanks Paul.

Have bombarded it with a fair amount of homemade rubble, and agree it looks much better and more realistic now...not sure where the figures are going to fit...but will work that out when they are painted!
IMG_1547.JPG

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Was going to say the first two candidates are ready to go in...but after uploading the photo I just realised I have not finished with subject no.2's helmet. I find figure painting tough (and often frustrating) so has taken me about a week to get these two to this stage, and a couple more at the half way point. I am ignoring the 'White Walker' eyes...

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.20.53.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.20.37.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.20.23.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.20.13.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.20.02.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 11.19.43.png

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Jack - the increase in rubble is looking good :thumb2:

One thing to consider - there is a lot of red brick rubble but the walls are all grey :thinking:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Morning Jack - the increase in rubble is looking good :thumb2:

One thing to consider - there is a lot of red brick rubble but the walls are all grey :thinking:
Thanks Simon...the third floor of the building was red brick...hence more red rubble than grey.

The building was origonally destroyed by allied bombing months earlier, so subject to some level of civilian clean up. When the front lines drew closer, the clean up was abandoned, and more damage suffered as the ground fighting arrived In the area.

Going back even further in the buildings history, the Architect was actually only 12 years old, and had no prior experience in building design. It was a small miracle that anyone actually used the plans and built the place. Fairly bizarre that the house lasted long enough to be bombed

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Was going to say the first two candidates are ready to go in...but after uploading the photo I just realised I have not finished with subject no.2's helmet. I find figure painting tough (and often frustrating) so has taken me about a week to get these two to this stage, and a couple more at the half way point. I am ignoring the 'White Walker' eyes...

View attachment 389922View attachment 389923View attachment 389924View attachment 389925View attachment 389926View attachment 389927
for someone who 'struggles' you've done a pretty decent job of those figures-especially the camo
top job :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
..the third floor of the building was red brick...hence more red rubble than grey.

Nice one Jack!

Excellent work.
Re the figures. They look fine, and in any case are not meant to be viewed that close. Unless one is of a persuasion to zoom in to try and find fault of course.

Ron

Reactions: JR

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
for someone who 'struggles' you've done a pretty decent job of those figures-especially the camo
top job :thumb2:
Thanks Neil, high praise from yourself!
Nice one Jack!

Excellent work.
Re the figures. They look fine, and in any case are not meant to be viewed that close. Unless one is of a persuasion to zoom in to try and find fault of course.

Ron
Thanks again Ron.

Mojo quite high today, so another couple done. Five more to go, although that number may reduce.....Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 17.07.04.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-20 at 17.06.46.png

I may address the standing fellow's trousers...those highlights looked ok in real life...magnified looks like a 5 year old has been at them.
Need a matt coat, but will wait for everyone to be ready.

D

Deleted member 6559

Great work Jack. The figures, especially the the camo, look great.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jack, just found this and must say it's great. That gun looks real in those first photos. Building is coming on well, enjoying this immensely.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks cracking to me....figures are excellent....88 is magnificent, and the setting works really well.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thank you for all the comments, Bob, Peter, John, Jason and Tim, certainly helps keep the Mojo going!