Lee Drennen’s 1/72 German SWS Halftrack with 20-mm Anti-Aircraft Flak-38 Gun.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Today I dug this out of the Storage Shed been wanting to build this combination for a long while. The Halftrack is a Caesar Miniatures German SWS. The Flak-38 is a Zvezda. Thanks for stopping by for a look.
E48B1108-C21C-4997-98FA-700AFE635BF0.jpeg1D97E03F-05AB-404C-BF0D-4D5B5482B9A5.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Lee, Would like to do one of these in 1-87 scale.......so far only available in resin. I do have a Preiser 2cm flak kit in plastic that I am saving for just such an occasion. I will follow this with interest. Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will follow this with interest Lee. I have a similar kit bash planned using this very gun but using a truck instead.

Good luck with the build.

Andrew

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lee
A great combination. Both kits look straightforward. I like the track/wheels all being one piece. I don't recall seeing a Caesar Miniatures vehicle built before.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice combo Lee. Both kits look good as well. Not seen a Caesar miniatures kit built either, so will follow with interest.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. I hope to see you working on one of these some day. Some of the resin in 1/87 is very questionable.

Andrew. Glad you dropped in. That would look great on a truck. There also a nice kit. The mojo is back Millitary Models at the moment

Jim. Thanks for stopping by. These kits are very nice. I have to tell you this has
been the best fitting 1/72 Armor kit I’ve ever built. I also like the all one piece Track Suspension some may think it’s it’s “Cheesy” but it easy for me with my Arthritis.

Tim. Thanks for stopping by. They are a nice they fit very well.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Here’s what I got done last night. The Halftrack is ready for the Wet Stuff. This is the best 1/72 scale kit I’ve build yet with no issues. It goes together with ease. I do recommend this kit if your like me and have issues with your hands, eyes and patience’s with the Braille Scale. The fit is perfect I had no problem with fitting things together and the details are very nice.
16B6401F-5A1B-47BF-BC1F-8A67EC248C21.jpegDF2C0D8C-4529-4480-A390-8F43DC02F394.jpeg58008F17-2CB3-44BB-A290-3642905C9606.jpeg4D9F433B-B836-405A-8576-329D9475A595.jpegC8E56C18-29F0-43FF-8547-CA22ED5FEB48.jpeg441B11C0-8304-43EA-9998-B680685A5D27.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lee
That looks good and glad it went together so well. Good stuff from Caesar Miniatures.
Jim

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hi Lee
That looks good and glad it went together so well. Good stuff from Caesar Miniatures.
Jim
Thanks for the complement Jim. I was a little reluctant to buy this kit but after getting it last winter and looking it over and I was pleased. I hope to get some paint on this before the weekend.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew. Glad you dropped in. That would look great on a truck. There also a nice kit. The mojo is back Millitary Models at the moment
Lee

Good to hear the military mojo is back.

When I first had the thought of doing a truck version I did a bit of research and discovered that these were often fitted to a wooden sledge that went in the back on the load bed, so i intend to do one of those.

I don't know if your version was the same but if it was I have just discovered that Steve Jones did one in 1/35 as a brilliant SBS a few years ago. It's not the one I originally found but is actually much better (link below)

ATB.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Lee

Good to hear the military mojo is back.

When I first had the thought of doing a truck version I did a bit of research and discovered that these were often fitted to a wooden sledge that went in the back on the load bed, so i intend to do one of those.

I don't know if your version was the same but if it was I have just discovered that Steve Jones did one in 1/35 as a brilliant SBS a few years ago. It's not the one I originally found but is actually much better (link below)

ATB.

Andrew

Thanks for the complement Andrew. I’m glad it’s back feels good. I remember this build Steve J. did and we have to thank him for those outstanding references pics. I don’t think I’ll be going that far with this one. I’ll leave that up to you. I’ll have more updates later.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Lee

Missed the progress shot. That has turned out very nicely indeed.

Well done so far.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Great stuff so far Lee. The only pics I've seen of these late war variants show the gun hard mounted to the vehicle. Oh, and there were not very many built, so you will have a "rare bird" when all is said and done. :thumb2: Rick H.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great stuff so far Lee. The only pics I've seen of these late war variants show the gun hard mounted to the vehicle. Oh, and there were not very many built, so you will have a "rare bird" when all is said and done. :thumb2: Rick H.
Rick

Thanks for the info. Will squirrel it away for future use.

Andrew

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Rick for the complement. Do you have a pic of one with the gun hard mounted that you could share kind sir??

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'll check my refs. Lee and get back to you. BTW I do browse a lot on the I-net but I only retain the stuff I'm really interested in building at the moment. Rick H.