Lee Drennen’s Hobby Farm & Garden

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Good looking chicks there Lee. One of ours looks to be on the last journey. She has got very lethargic and is not eating much :loudly-crying: It’s a pity, we got her over sour crop a couple of months ago, but ex battery hens are usually worn out early from overlaying. At least her last six months were happy.
I hate to here that Tim. Some how we get attached to the simplest animals like a chicken I could never eat one of my chickens unless I was starving and had no food. I hatched out one baby chick in March its feet were curled in and deformed and I should’ve just killed it right then and went on but I took scotch tape and stuck to the bottoms of its feet after I straightening them out now it’s doing well still has a little trouble walking I’ll get a pic of it tomorrow

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Today was another busy Saturday after I planted in the Garden it started raining really bad and it stopped the rest of the day so I got a few things done. Put a different chicken feeder in the little barn and lay down some Pine shavings and tools a few pics. Cleaned behind the little barn also. I’ll post a pic later. 7E53C1A6-775C-4C82-9DB4-3BC4430F1059.jpegB501CADD-2C8E-40AB-880A-0E3864D2F1F2.jpegC3044805-34B6-43BD-821B-570E9BD6F5FD.jpeg260F4E6D-35A7-4936-9D89-7D4C3510669F.jpeg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Chicks are very durable Lee. I got one for a present at Easter time when I was 7yrs. old. Had it on the handle bars of my tricycle and was riding around on the driveway........yep, he fell off and I ran over him with the back wheel....thought I killed him! My Mom wrapped him up in a cotton cloth and placed him near the hot water heater.....about an hour later he started Peeping and was fine. He grew up to be a great big white rooster and had a very long and happy life. Never did keep me from liking "fried" chicken though. :smiling3: Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Hopefully they'll germinate - surprising how seeds 'know' when they can grow.
Chooks look good :thumb2:
Not keen on zucchinis, but love onions.
Me too Gerry I think they will as long as I don’t have no thunderstorms or hard rains in the next few days that will beat them in the ground or wash them away

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Chicks are very durable Lee. I got one for a present at Easter time when I was 7yrs. old. Had it on the handle bars of my tricycle and was riding around on the driveway........yep, he fell off and I ran over him with the back wheel....thought I killed him! My Mom wrapped him up in a cotton cloth and placed him near the hot water heater.....about an hour later he started Peeping and was fine. He grew up to be a great big white rooster and had a very long and happy life. Never did keep me from liking "fried" chicken though. :smiling3: Rick H.
Rick yeah I know they’re pretty durable I get baby chicks at least every year been doing that for about 24 years now seen lots of things with baby chicks main thing is keep them warm and fed good with medicated chick starter and fresh water at all times. But I do get nervous hatching my own chicks out those first 10 hours to me is very crucial and very nerve-racking I’m so afraid I’m gonna lose one but I haven’t yet. Did you live on farm when you was young?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My Grandparents had 160 acres out in Lake Labbish north of Salem, Oregon.......most of it was Filberts and they had Three 100 foot long Hen Houses where they raised hens for their "Egg Business". We moved from California in 1957 and my Dad and older Brother worked in the business with my Grandparents till my Dad found work contracting a year or so later. I helped out where I could.....mostly candling and grading eggs and packaging etc. Later on as a Teen, I worked for an old Swedish gal who went to Church with my Grandmother. She had 40 acres out near Molala, Or. and she had a bunch of milking cows and the dirtiest barn I ever did see.......she only wanted me to clean it when the cows wouldn't go in anymore. She also had some pigs, goats, a Steer, a couple of Apaloosa horses and a Buckskin gelding named Barney. Also some of the meanest domestic Turkeys you ever saw......she kept an old rake handle next to the gate and would carry it when she went through the corral into the barn....if they gave her any trouble, she'd start laying it to them and they parted like the Red Sea. :tongue-out3: Yeah Lee, I worked on a farm or two and loved every minute of it. Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great story Rick thanks for sharing it. I’ve never heard of a domestic turkey being so mean. Like you I’ve worked on many farms around here when I was I kid you were talking about the dirty barn I remember I had to re-stack the hay in a farmer’s barn one time what a job the bales were old and the twine kept breaking what a nightmare.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yup........I know exactly what that's about. ;) Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Busy day on the Hobby Farm yesterday. I finally got around cutting a doorway in the little barn cleaned up the area behind it and cut a few saplings down as well moved a plow that’s been sitting up in the woods for long time and tried out my Grandpa’s old logging Tongs. My Dad gave these to me about 20 years ago they haven’t been used since 1968 the year my Grandpa passed away. They work great but I need to use them on bigger timber. I thank God every day I can work and do a little more on the Farm. He has blessed me so much. I still deal with breathing problems but I never thought I would be doing this stuff again 6 months ago. FA7365FE-8158-4A23-A3F6-51ACFB3E8488.jpeg9F127A27-F433-4691-AC97-171856850AA9.jpegBB9C1ED5-53AC-44C7-9790-D63ABD87842D.jpeg69DFBB0A-A318-4A53-AF68-D7571BEE4614.jpeg85AB9B05-1714-4AD6-B2E2-5AF9A21A2A2F.jpeg80169253-9601-486F-BB25-AE1C963DFAC3.jpeg557F6B44-3954-4C88-9E1A-F27609BAD112.jpegAADC43C5-706C-4DD8-8651-62BE80A51AD6.jpeg

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
This is all great news. Really glad you are getting back to normal Lee.
Tim. I’ll never be “normal” lol but my respiratory is better and I’m not as tired. Thanks for the support you and the guys have gave me during this time. I really enjoy working on my Hobby Farm and I like sharing it with you guys on the forum.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Lee
Main thing is the good news that you're on the mend. Each day a little better but don't overdo it and set yourself back. Great to see this old machinery doing what it should.
Have you come across this YouTube channel - really an amazing guy. Although he is a carriage maker/wheelwright his last video was about restoring an old sickle mower.
Jim

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Busy day on the Hobby Farm yesterday. I finally got around cutting a doorway in the little barn cleaned up the area behind it and cut a few saplings down as well moved a plow that’s been sitting up in the woods for long time and tried out my Grandpa’s old logging Tongs. My Dad gave these to me about 20 years ago they haven’t been used since 1968 the year my Grandpa passed away. They work great but I need to use them on bigger timber. I thank God every day I can work and do a little more on the Farm. He has blessed me so much. I still deal with breathing problems but I never thought I would be doing this stuff again 6 months ago. View attachment 424223View attachment 424224View attachment 424225View attachment 424226View attachment 424228View attachment 424229View attachment 424230View attachment 424231
Really looking like you're getting back on top of the work, that log tool certainly looks like it could be very handy.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Really looking like you're getting back on top of the work, that log tool certainly looks like it could be very handy.
Thanks Gerry. Yes I feel like my place is getting back where I use to keep it. Those log tongs are made for big timber but I plan on using them for getting small logs off the ground to cut up.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sunday is a day of rest for me here on the Hobby Farm. This morning I got up early and went to the Barn Lot and pick my wife some Ox Eyed Daisies. I’ve done this for many years as the Daisies start to bloom here. Just something I can give to her for all the things she does for me. Without her being a Respiratory therapist my out come last fall might have been different but she was there helping and coaching me all the way and still does when I’m having a bad day 22387F37-C522-47B6-A61C-897C4FEDB801.jpeg

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Lee, that is one nice vase of daisies. All the ladies love their flowers. Here are some of my wife's favourites. She has four pots of these Agapanthus and waits eagerly every year for them to bloom.
IMG_0534A.jpg
The mosaics on the wall behind them are my wife's work. I model and she mosaics. We can do it together.
Cheers John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I love Agapanthus...saw lots of them growing along roads in Sydney and parks in Summer. Tried bringing seeds back here but failed trying to grow them.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
We had these all over the place.....particularly in the freeway medians and parkway strips in California when I was living there. Also referred to as "Freeway Lillies".......great consumers of hydrocarbons and other noxious fumes from vehicular emissions. Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sorry guys never seen those types of purple flowers. John. Thanks for sharing