Lee Drennen’s Hobby Farm & Garden

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rick. I hate to bring out “Old Mary” 20 gauge and I really don’t feel like the fence thing so I guess I’ll have to put out the Blood Meal again Rabbits hate it

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What with Rick's bears, and your Rabbits Lee think our mad Blackbird ( she who pulls out all young plants whilst looking for grubs .) Is a minor hindrance.
The cucumbers look ok I find when they get too big they become tough and loose that fresh flavour.
Pity about the squirrels, don't suppose even netting would put them off .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The little buggers go through it like it isn't there! We have had a fox hanging around so he takes his toll on the chipmunks and other rodents available. Sometimes the only solution is to let " Old Mary "
Sing her song. Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. I think I’ll put the blood meal out and see what happens last year it worked great blood meal is an organic type soil that you pour out for fertilizer but it has a real awful smell rabbits hate

Rick heard some good news about 4 AM this morning when I was leaving for work it was a pack of coyotes down in the valley hollering and barking so maybe my rabbit situation will leave soon

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
These Flowers always bloom this time of year my mom always called them “Naked Ladies”. After my mom passed away in 1997 my wife asked my dad if she could have a few bulbs to plant in our front yard. He said sure and she planted them that was 22yrs ago and they’ve bloomed every year. My moms birthday is at the end of August and they bloom the first part of August. Always think of her when I see them and remember when I was a young boy these blooming in yard around moms birthday. It’s amazing how a flower can stay with you a life time

D432133C-9207-4CB3-B1B1-A31D4BB2216E.jpeg

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lee, you have a great place. I know what 5acres is like as my Grand Dad some with his house plonked right in the middle. As a kid I liked venturing with my cousins. Now I have a concrete garden the size of a postage stamp...plants are in pots.

The "Naked Ladies" are beautiful...reminds me of my wifes favorite agapanthus that grow wild in Sydney suburbs. We're trying to grow them here in the tropics.

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

The Naked Ladies are beautiful Lee, and such a nice memorial for your mum.

Re the rabbits, if you can get him through immigration and quarantine, I can put our Jack Russell, Joe, on a plane - he's getting old, but the local rabbits still have to watch out. He's having fun putting up pheasants at the moment.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Richard. Thanks for the nice complement I am blessed here

Peter. Thanks for the complement. I need your dog if you lived closer lol My Beagle passed away in February she was very old I really miss her.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautiful plants Lee, and what a nice plant to remember her by.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That's a beautiful place to have and live in Lee.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well it’s spring time on the old Hobby Farm the Daffodils are in Bloom and the “Naked Ladies” Flowers are now out of the ground. Here’s some pics I took the other day I hope it gives you some hope and peace that God is still here for us during these darkest days and he will make things new again just the way he brings the beautiful flowers back each year. B918D025-154C-45F0-8526-72D13EBB7377.jpegE1560FED-6BD8-41C1-AEDB-FC534F0CDB27.jpeg

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes Lee your right , a heart warming photo indeed.

Hope you, your wife and the girls are ok .

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Amen to that Lee. Our Daffs are up but no blooms yet.
Rick H.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. Everyone is fine Allee is done with College till Spring and I’m pretty sure Carlee is done with her freshman year of High School. It’s so glad to have them at the house all the time I guess in way it’s a blessing in disguise

Rick. You are probably still seeing snow aren’t you? Patients little Grasshopper

• Haha

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Nice to see the daffs out there Lee. Ours are out here too.

I've just been preparing my raised beds for the radish, beetroot and carrots. My strawberry, raspberry, tayberry gooseberry and blackcurrant plants seemed to have survived the wet winter. So that is a massive bonus.

Just making a new bed for the rhubarb plant to be placed in. Can't wait for a crop off that next year.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Alan. I hope to till the garden this week and get some Radishes and lettuce out I love this time of year sounds like your as excited as I am