Lee Drennen’s Hobby Farm & Garden

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Today I planted more in the Garden. I still have to plant the Pumpkins I plant the Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Cucumbers. The Lettuce and Onions are growing very well. I also cut down some big tree limbs to let more sun light in the Garden. I still have more Tomatoes and Onions to plant. BB171C72-76CD-44DB-8C44-5D726EED4135.jpeg34AF944E-BEBB-4E94-A9DB-340AFB36F0D4.jpeg943EDB91-2FBA-4A39-8A97-C132C15CC176.jpeg81D6539A-847C-4170-9BFA-36E1D0EC64D9.jpeg2B10B287-DC52-4AEB-874B-4BC0F0FEFDC5.jpegE536C061-4F1D-43FD-9AD6-FF3D1335B7B1.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Never ceases to excite me when a seed germinates and a tiny shoot miraculously appears.
A while ago my 6 year old granddaughter planted some sunflower seeds. I've never seen her so excited as when she showed me her first tiny shoot.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
tiny shoot miraculously appears.
Yes Jim that is exciting every year I look forward to that moment but it’s more special when a youngster helps in the garden and this happens. My oldest Daughter helped me all the time in the Garden I bought her own little Garden tools and everything. Like your Granddaughter she was excited to watch the seeds grow. Yesterday she Graduated College where did the time go.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Glad to see you enjoying life again Lee. The change of job has certainly improved your health both physically and mentally.Nice to see .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great shots as always Lee. Going to the Bath and West show today. It’s a large agricultural show (well, large for the south west). Great to see all the different small food producers. It’s a great place for trying different cheese and cider before you buy. Never ceases to amaze me how many different breeds of stock there are out there either. It’s something I’m sure you’d enjoy.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I'm deeply ignorant in chicken/hen breeding. Said so, is there any sort of procedure followed by the older ones to admit newcomers to the pen? I mean, there's a hierarchy newcomers have to integrate into or is a sort of "welcome home! please have a snack" procedure?
Thank you for keeping us updated, Lee.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
It's all looking rather good at this time of year Lee, new growth & new life lifts the spirit.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Glad to see you enjoying life again Lee. The change of job has certainly improved your health both physically and mentally.Nice to see .
Thanks John. Yes my life is improving especially after leaving my old job. I feel was let out of prison.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great to see all the different small food producers.
Tim. Where I deliver feed to the Mennonites they have a market store there and my wife goes there every weekend she loves it. They have the best stuff it raised in Greenhouses so it makes a lot earlier than mine but I get to watch it grow when I deliver down there in the winter. Thanks for the complement on the pics I know you and the other enjoy it.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
"welcome home! please have a snack" procedure?
Andy it’s ok your not ignorant on this. I wish it was this way they welcome them with open wings and give out Hen scratch but that’s not the case it’s the opposite they peck them and are very mean for the first couple of months sometimes it might take over a year before there accepted to the flock. If one gets beat up too much I’ll remove her and try to add her later when she’s bigger hope I explain it for you. Thanks for stopping by always enjoy it.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
It's all looking rather good at this time of year Lee, new growth & new life lifts the spirit.
Thank You Graeme I appreciate it. Yes this past year has been awesome for me I have no more stress and both of my jobs I work at are great. I’ll post some updates later the garden is starting to grow more since it’s warming up at night. Thanks for stopping by.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy it’s ok your not ignorant on this. I wish it was this way they welcome them with open wings and give out Hen scratch but that’s not the case it’s the opposite they peck them and are very mean for the first couple of months sometimes it might take over a year before there accepted to the flock. If one gets beat up too much I’ll remove her and try to add her later when she’s bigger hope I explain it for you. Thanks for stopping by always enjoy it.
Over here they recommend that you introduce roughly equal numbers to the existing flock to smooth out the process. Say you have four and want more, then introduce another four. Works pretty well. Last time we topped up the flock we added five to an existing three and they settled within days. If they don’t settle we use anti peck spray (colloquially called bum spray) to stop the others pecking at the victims. Never had to use it last time, probably because our girls are ex battery so are more placid than pure breeds. We are unfortunately down to two now because one died overnight. They are getting on for four years old though, not bad for ex bats.