Light Tank Mk VIB (Desert)

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Been tinkering with this for a couple of years and finally decided to get it out and finish the job.

box top.jpg

First job was to get the suspension out of the way. During the build i decided to add the tension springs on the rear set of suspension..

suspension.jpg

Next longest job was the tracks. These came from the ModelKasten set originally for the Bren Carrier, but were liberated for this one. Still got a set left over for the Carrier.

trkbld1.jpg

And the finished items...
track.jpg
Obviously not been sitting around waiting for things to dry - so set to with the interior...
int1.jpg
int2.jpg
int3.jpg
And the inst panel scratch built..
instpanel.jpg
As you can see I have used the Eduard set and incorporated quite a bit of the brass on the build, plus I scrath built a new exhaust as the kit version is a bit clumsy...
exhaust build.jpg
exfin1.jpg
exfin2.jpg
And that is as far as the build has progressed to date. Still more fun to be had..
Cheers, MikeC.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Interesting build so far Mike, good you got it back out :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Mike, I was going to do one of these but the earlier version used in France. Am pulling up a chair to see how you do yours. Won't be following with the extra bling though as I'm a stock standard builder when it comes to AFV's :smiling2: They do look good on your build.

Would there be a lot to do if I want to convert to the desert version besides scratching the side lockers?

Cheers,
Richard

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
I like these Mike - have part built one, scratched in 1:15

Plenty of rivets to add - that should keep you busy for a while

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Mike,
Good to see you :smiling4:. Not seen one of these before, looks like your well into a sweet looking build:thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike, I was going to do one of these but the earlier version used in France. Am pulling up a chair to see how you do yours. Won't be following with the extra bling though as I'm a stock standard builder when it comes to AFV's :smiling2: They do look good on your build.

Would there be a lot to do if I want to convert to the desert version besides scratching the side lockers?

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard,
You can get a desert version (see boxtop). The boxes and the fuel can carrier are all in brass and in with the kit. It is all simple bend and glue straight lines, the frame for the boxes is a bit of a fiddle and I would suggest make up the lower boxes first and then bend the frame around them. Other than the suspension I can see no serious problems in the build out of the box.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I like these Mike - have part built one, scratched in 1:15

Plenty of rivets to add - that should keep you busy for a while
Hello Simon,
Back in 1980 odd, I scratchbuilt one using the old Profile Publications booklet plans, and that was as near 1/32 scale. I think the rivet count was 260+ rivets all made from stretched sprue and the rived formed over a candle, and the springs for the suspension made again from stretched sprue which was then wrapped around a drill shank and plunged into boiling water to soften and then into cold water to get the sprue to hold it's shape.
1/15 scale, now that should be impressive.
Mike.

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Interesting build so far Mike and very nice looking interior.
Neat exhaust too:thumb2:.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mike,
nice to see your take on this - I found it was a challenging build when I made my BEF VIB in February ( with encouragement & assistance from your good self! ).
Replacing the tracks sounds like a good call - the PE & interior are really raising the detail. Is the interior scratched, or part of the model?. I don't think I'd like to build another - these light tanks are a bit TOO small!
Dave

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Mike good to see you about again. That is a great build mate the new exhaust looks the dogs.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike,
nice to see your take on this - I found it was a challenging build when I made my BEF VIB in February ( with encouragement & assistance from your good self! ).
Replacing the tracks sounds like a good call - the PE & interior are really raising the detail. Is the interior scratched, or part of the model?. I don't think I'd like to build another - these light tanks are a bit TOO small!
Dave
Hello Dave,
The interior or part of it came from a company in Hong Kong, items like the seat, steering levers, hand brake lever and gear change plus inst panel are all scratch built. Those tracks it took nearly three days and felt like three weeks. I am pleased I had the template to help out. At the start it was going to be a diorama of the VIB and a Carrier, but I think I have learned my lesson....
Cheers, Mike.

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike,
Great to see you back but this is a new level of ridiculous, how small are your fingers ?
regards Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Mike,

it may be impressive if I ever finish it :smiling4: Basic hull, turret done, wheels done and some detailing in the drivers position. I had started casting track links but wasn't really happy with them so it ground to a halt

Hope you don't mind if I point out something with the drivers seat

The back folds down flat to the rear to allow access to the main hull area via that bulkhead. When the seat back is upright there are thin bars on either side of the frame that end up diagonal from seat back down to front floor frame to lock it in place

Vickers-058_21-09-2010.JPG

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wow, that's a lot of bling. A beauty. PaulE

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike,

it may be impressive if I ever finish it :smiling4: Basic hull, turret done, wheels done and some detailing in the drivers position. I had started casting track links but wasn't really happy with them so it ground to a halt

Hope you don't mind if I point out something with the drivers seat

The back folds down flat to the rear to allow access to the main hull area via that bulkhead. When the seat back is upright there are thin bars on either side of the frame that end up diagonal from seat back down to front floor frame to lock it in place

View attachment 360967
Simon,
I have a small box with all the bits in it, and among those are two short lengths of brass strip - I now know what I put them in the box for... been thinking they were scrap. Will now try to add them...
vickers_mk_vi_5_of_8.jpg
Cheers, Mike.

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Mike - you can just see the small pins on each side of the rear frame below the back cushion that the side rails clip over to hold the frame up

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nothing like some nice leather , looks really good , colours are superb.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike - you can just see the small pins on each side of the rear frame below the back cushion that the side rails clip over to hold the frame up
Cheers Simon,
Correction now made.
Cheers, Mike.