Live at the dock yard, me hearties!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
YEA John he's doin very well is'nt he for a a young wippersnapper beginner lol
Excuse us Bob.
Chris I attempted to make the hull of a boat for the last Dio, gave up so think he doing quite well. Secretly I think he wanted to be in the Navy as a lad .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Excuse us Bob.
Chris I attempted to make the hull of a boat for the last Dio, gave up so think he doing quite well. Secretly I think he wanted to be in the Navy as a lad .
Me, seasick on the local lake lol but do like the old seadog!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
“Roll on the Rodney, Repulse and Renown,
Old Bob’s building Nelson, and got her keel down”

Great stuff, pity about the fit issues. Not sure if anyone else makes Rodney/Nelson?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
“Roll on the Rodney, Repulse and Renown,
Old Bob’s building Nelson, and got her keel down”

Great stuff, pity about the fit issues. Not sure if anyone else makes Rodney/Nelson?
Cor Tim ear'nt you exspecting a bit much all those ships eh he'll be back to stugs afore we know it lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Excuse us Bob.
AN John give us a quick reponse of why you gave up makin the hull of a boat ?
as i cant see what the problem would be ?
chris

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Bob. Well done for licking this into shape. Can't help noticing is in not a Stug though.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
AN John give us a quick reponse of why you gave up makin the hull of a boat ?
as i cant see what the problem would be ?
chris
Excuse us Bob, couldn't bend the plastic sheet for hull into shape Chris, just wanted a section above the water. Gave up after the second attempt:fearful:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all for the comments and interest! :thumb2: Right, tried the marker pen method on the hull seams, run a marker pen down the seam, left to dry and sanded like a nutter! Now the mistake i could not have used enough glue or enough support plates inside. The seam moved, bugger hence the marker pen still there, i will only know its worked when painted, but seems a good method

20210114_130823.jpg

I have now put masking on tape on either side of the seam and added filler.

Next again used tape around the stern and filled, left it all to dry overnight
20210114_130807.jpg

Will add tape before sanding, made up the secondary batterie and finished the funnel

Was thinking i should have started the easier Tamiya KGV, but Nelson is making me work and learning new skills. Might try super glue to join the hull halfs next time, i hope it will give a stronger joint and more support plates over the seams. End of shift at the yard!

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob, no jokes this time.
Your doing as fine job with this so carry on. Quite a large piece of plastic to glue in my mind, not like a tank body and they can prove problematic .
Keep going :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
GREAT work them dockies are doin an they are ex stug builders must be good
chris

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on well Bob.
Wouldn’t go with superglue for the hull join though. It has no real sheer strength in my opinion and will probably fail under working when eliminating the seam. Plastic cement will give a far stronger join because it melts the two parts together. If you think the joint needs strengthening afterwards, then I would reinforce the joint from the inside with epoxy resin glue.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Coming on well Bob.
Wouldn’t go with superglue for the hull join though. It has no real sheer strength in my opinion and will probably fail under working when eliminating the seam. Plastic cement will give a far stronger join because it melts the two parts together. If you think the joint needs strengthening afterwards, then I would reinforce the joint from the inside with epoxy resin glue.
Thanks Tim, good advice. Learning fast and the hard way lol

First Name
Carl
Evening

Right progress, added some plastic card on the inside to strengthen the joins, next fitted the deck, very good fit along the sides, small gap at the bow but big and horrible at the stern:unamused:

Few glue marks so need to use a smaller brush to apply glue. Made up the main turrets, barrells and there fit are horrible, i was expecting the three barrells to be on a frame but no seperate. No hole in the turret to locate the barrell, so had problems, had to cut an angle on the breech and left the ends as if i cut them down to tidy them up they would have been too short!

Started on the bridge tower or queen Annes mansions ( i think ), also the funnel.

View attachment 410895
View attachment 410896
The band is helping the horrible fit to set on the side of Nelson at the stern.

The superstructure is loose and will be painted on there own. Spending ages getting rid of flash or filling in sink marks.

I hope people do not use this as a first build and Airfix should no longer have the cheek to reissue this again!
Wow, your flying with that build.
I have made one of my gun turrets up on mine and I thought the way you just poke the gun barrels into the hole was a little poor but I guess once it’s together it’ll look fine.
I find the hardest bit is deciding how much to construct before painting, e.g, paint deck before adding everything or just build as much as possible? I’m sure there are several schools of thought.