M J Miniatures Saxon Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks chaps. Just fiddled with the face a bit more, but he's safe.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Looks like a really solid recovery 2nd time round, looks good with the helmet on.

You even managed to get a loose Luftwaffe reference in too!

Hopefully the IT has been resolved now?

Another grey day ahead but no rain, yet!

Is a grey tunic a colour option?

It certainly wasn't age of "the Colours of Benetton"", whatever happened to them?

Enjoy the day and the painting

Regards

Steve H

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Made it to this one okay Peter. You seemed to have gone up a notch again with the facial work on this one and the Saxon bust. Anything you're doing differently??

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I must say that your recent work has gone from your usual stunningly superb to extra stunningly superb :tongue-out3: I love this one.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Thank you.

Steve H - Yes, now that he's called Herman, I had to get a bit of Luftwaffe Uniform in. I've decided on Vallejo's Stone Grey for the tunic. Cold and damp here, and my granddaughter expected for a visit - we haven't seen her since February - progress on the bust may be slowed.

Stevie J - Just trying harder I think, though I have been working with better quality sculpts. The eyes aren't great on this one, and once the helmet was on, they're the only thing that shows. I've fiddled with them quite a bit and will leave them alone now.

Jim - Thank you!

Progress on the tunic so far:

100_7491.JPG

I could have chosen an easier colour, especially with all of that stomach to cover!

D

Deleted member 6559

I've decided on a Wessex wyvern for the shield design. I've painted one on a half shield before, but I'll need to adjust the shape to get it to fit onto a full shield

f715e17ff9dc4a314a3a2fa66830d0c7.jpg

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Lovely natural coloured tunic, and he does seem to be quite portly for a warrior!

Love the Dragon, have fun doing that today.

Another grey and wet one with a storm winds to come overnight!

Was that the British summer over and done with?

The lower light should be better for painting?

Have a good day and enjoy the weekend, though the weather isn't going to be that good

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

On to the shield today, which is always a bit of a challenge. Some rain overnight, but sunny now. We have our granddaughter here, so I'll be painting when I can, happy for the interruption.

D

Deleted member 6559

The shield:

100_7497.JPG100_7499.JPG

Not brilliant, but the best I can do. I've tried to kill off the white a bit by giving it a dark wash., and I'm sure I'll fiddle with it a bit more. The strap ends supplied for the shield didn't fit, so I had to make some from thin card.

I recently bought a set of AK Interactive green vehicle washes, and used one on the shield. The smell of that and the thinners took me back to my youth, but I must say I'm glad water-based products have come into their own - watering eyes and a headache just ain't worth it.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thank you Neil.

Had to wait a while to give you a reply..

I've now got the standard partly done:

100_7509.JPG100_7510.JPG100_7511.JPG

Instead of drilling all the way through the hand, I cut the pole in two and attached it either side - the hand is very securely fixed, and the main weight of the pole rests on the shoulder, also heavily glued. To paint the dragon's head, I first primed it with black, then dry-brushed on layers of Vallejo bronze. I then redrew the lines and shaded with black brown, before finally highlighting with old gold. Just the red 'wind-sock' to do now.

I had company during this session. My granddaughter, Remi (1 year, 9 months) decided that one of Granddad's old figures could do with a bit more colour:

100_7514.JPG

Between that and feeding me strawberries, she proved an excellent working companion.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work. Always jealous of your metals Peter, They unfailingly look fantastic.....

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Tim - Vallejo metallics do half the work for you.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
Which Vallejo metals do you use? I haven’t had any luck with model colour! Darkstar are OK, but I find them hard to blend!

D

Deleted member 6559

Peter - Glad you like him

Andy - Quite a complicated bust - 18 parts is unheard of.

Hi Tim - I use Vallejo Model Colour metallics exclusively - Old Gold, Bronze, Copper, Pure Gold, Oily Steel, Silver etc etc. They always need to be painted over a black base to give them a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I totally agree your metalwork is exceptional, and the "other" figure's rainbow camo does look really bright and colourful, yours is OK too LOL

Herman's side profile is really rotund!

Another grey and wet day ahead, the British summer has arrived, at long last LOL

Have a good day with the paints and your assistant apprentice art student too.

Regards

Steve H