Macchi 205 "Veltro"

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I blame Scott (Noble) for this!

I need a quick build to fit in before the anticipated Xmas cornucopia of models and it was Scott's mention of this kit that got me thinking. I've never built an Italian aircraft and I quite fancy having a go at the so called "smoke ring" camouflage. It'll be with the Italian "Fasci" rather than German "Balkenkreuz" on the wings.

21st Century kits are not over endowed with fine detail (apart from the excellent pilot figures) and this looks quite a mean shape so it'll be posed in flight,wheels up and pilot at the controls.

I'm well over ten years old so,according to the box,I should be okay :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm sure that you will do it justic Steve.

Something a bit different and should look great when done.

Ian M

P

Polux

Are you Ok Steve...? ;)

I said it very friendly!!! A different plane and a terrestrial vehicle ...!! ;)

I want to see your painting work on the camouflage, I'm sure will be surprising!!

Cheers

Polux

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great aircraft steve , and a nice kit too. Just as well youre doing it wheels up , the u/c bays and the diameter of the wheels is a poor area of this kit (i had to replace the wheels and make some canvas covers for the bays on mine), so it wont matter. Im sure its going to look great ,the smoke rings in this scale arent too bad especially as the camo on this one is quite large rings. looking forward to seeing it , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Aaaah Tony,the very man. As far as I can tell the interior colour for these was similar to that on RAF fighters,maybe a bit greener. Does that sound like it will get me in the ball park. As you know I'm not interested in exact matches,just something that will look about right.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes steve its very similar to british aircraft grey green. Heres a link to a walkaround of a macchi MC 200 ,it gives a very good idea of the colour , cheers tony http://109lair.hobbyvista.com/DETAILSITE/IT/c200/c200.htm

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thank you Tony. I think I can manage that!

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've made a start,not much to this really. I have fitted the pilot into his office which hides the absence of detail very well. He's a tight fit,anyone else contemplating this needs to be sure to fit him in his seat BEFORE attaching the cockpit sides and instrument panel!

The wings are joined and will be sanded once the filler along the leading edges has dried.

Cheers

Steve

S

Sky Raider

Nice topic Steve. I saw Dave platt build a 1/4 scale one of these. It is a fantastic looking plane. Cant wait to see you progress with this one.

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It does look sleek,hence the plan to do an in flight pose.

I only just found out that "veltro" means greyhound which is very apt. I don't know much about Italian aeroplanes but I understand that with its Daimler Benz engine this thing was a formidable fighter. The Italians had some very good,well trained pilots too. I've read a couple of accounts in which it held its own against Spitfire IXs.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've got this pretty much built now. I took a while sorting out the tail wheel which,on this version,was retractable. This isn't something the kit allows for,and I want mine "flying"!

If I can get into my workspace without freezing to death I hope to get this primed today.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've primed and got some paint on this.

The underside "Grigio Azzurro Chiaro" I don't have,so I took some British Medium Sea Grey and lightened it a bit. It looks pretty close,maybe not quite grey enough but never mind :smiling3:

I'll post some piccies if it ever gets light in Brum!

The upper "Nocciola Chiaro" and "Verde Oliva Scuro" I have managed to find in my favourite White Ensign Colourcoats. I'll be getting them on over the weekend....I hope.

Cheers

Steve

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking neat steve, i used something similar to medium sea grey on the undersides of mine too , Tamiya xf 20 , it looks near enough to my eyes!! looking forward to the paint stage , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Done the bottom and got a basic coat of the sand colour on top. I'll shade this later today and then have a bash at the infamous "smoke rings".

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Steve that color looks spot on! I do'nt envy you those smoke rings thats right up there with a wellenmuster on the difficult scale! You could 'cheat ' and get the decal sheet ;) . Did they use a DB601 or 603 in those?