Making a 1/35 scale diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I am about to embark on a new diorama and I thought after all the kind comments about my earlier efforts, it would be a nice idea to share this build with you all. In doing so I hope it will help modellers who perhaps would like to have a go but don't quite have the confidence or are not familiar with different techniques. Also, I hope to pick up some useful tips along the way for future projects.

My dioramas are very easy to make, not complicated and most of the materials are in the shed or on the ground !!

I have decided to include as many modelling elements into this diorama as space will allow, so it will include a pillbox, a bridge, a wall, water features, a road, trees, general undergrowth and little bits and bobs that spring to mind as we go along.

I won't be making any reference to any proposed armour or figures as I ain't thought about that yet!

I hope you and I will enjoy the build and most of all let's have a laugh and keep our serious hats where they belong...in the bin!!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the shed I go, with a pint of Boddies!!

:cheers:

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great start! Forgot to say it will be 1/35 scale.

P

Plastickitbasher

Having never ever made a diorama can I tag along coz it's something that I'd like to try soon.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron, ill be watching with interest as im toying with the idea of putting the halftrack on a small base,so ill be pinching a few ideas/techniques off you!! cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Great idea Ron. It will make an interesting thread.

Andy

S

Satnav313

Cant wait ron!

How big do you intend it to be? Mine was planned to be about 50cmX30cm but I just kept adding bits to my drawings and now its managed to become nearly 100cmX50cm.

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stage 1. Constructing the base

\ said:
I am about to embark on a new diorama and I thought after all the kind comments about my earlier efforts, it would be a nice idea to share this build with you all. In doing so I hope it will help modellers who perhaps would like to have a go but don't quite have the confidence or are not familiar with different techniques. Also, I hope to pick up some useful tips along the way for future projects.My dioramas are very easy to make, not complicated and most of the materials are in the shed or on the ground !!

I have decided to include as many modelling elements into this diorama as space will allow, so it will include a pillbox, a bridge, a wall, water features, a road, trees, general undergrowth and little bits and bobs that spring to mind as we go along.

I won't be making any reference to any proposed armour or figures as I ain't thought about that yet!

I hope you and I will enjoy the build and most of all let's have a laugh and keep our serious hats where they belong...in the bin!!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the shed I go, with a pint of Boddies!!

:cheers:

Ron
As promised here is my method of constructing 1/35 scale dioramas.

Everyone who builds these has a different method so I look forward to tips and suggestions as the build progresses.

Because it is a very simple way of getting an acceptable result, it is aimed not at the purist who wants everything 'just so' but more at the modeller who would like to have a go at dios. but perhaps needs just a bit of encouragement and help.

Apart from building up the base, all the scale rocks, foliage and trees etc are taken from my garden, thus making the same results as mine within the reach of anyone!

Let us begin.............

The planning.

Think what you want to do then transfer the ideas to a bit of paper. Have a mess around, once happy transfer your sketch to your 1/35 base board. This dio, because of the different things is 20"X20".

I put a 1/35 model on the board to check the composition.

The base build.

Use some sort of stiff board as the base now start to build the contours. As there is a stream running through, the 1st thing is to build the banks up. (see photo) To achieve the terrain, build a terrace effect with subsequent layers of board.

You can use anything that is to hand such as polystyrene blocks. I use bits of 1/2" insulation board (it is light, easy to cut or tear) from any d.i.y. or builders merchants. You can get a HUGE 8ftX4ft sheet for very little money!! To stick the layers down I use water based P.V.A. primer/ sealer, this liquid dries clear and is a must for dio. builders and I couldn't do without it. Again very cheap and widely available.

Cut the board to size, it doesn't have to be exact, then with a paintbrush spread the P.V.A. neat out of the container onto the base board then press the cut out piece down into the liquid. I knock in a few nails to hold it but it is not necessary. Just put some sort of weight on it for a few minutes.

Using this method, built up or alter the contours to your satisfaction then coat the whole model. (NOT the water) with a 50/50 mix of P.V.A./ water and leave to dry. Have a look and see if anything needs altering or adding to.

As you progress you will be surprised at what ideas come in to your head to improve the diorama.

Now the ’ rough work’ is completed, the next instalment will involve getting down to the nitty gritty and start having fun building up the pillbox and generally adding detail.:thinking:

Ron

View attachment 19340

View attachment 19341

View attachment 19342

View attachment 19343

View attachment 19344

diorama 001.jpg

diorama 002.jpg

diorama 003.jpg

diorama 004.jpg

diorama 005.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Looking good mate, cant wait to see more.

Well done

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Stage 2...The pillbox + stones etc.

As I had no intention of joining the British Bank holiday tradition of sitting in a motorway jam playing Monopoly with the occupants of the car opposite, I have been able to press ahead with this project.

Stage 2.

I have taken a close up shot of the build of the pillbox, as you can see I have now added the roof. Also you get a better idea of the composition of the insulation board. I have included a photo of my mitts tearing a bit off it to show how easy it is to get a nice rocky look to the work.

Photo 4 shows a general view. You can just see the pillbox slit, formed when I added the roof. Now the building up is complete I have given the whole model (not the water) another weak coat of P.V.A. Now stand back and have a look at the dio.....I know what would look good!!!!

Photo 5 shows the same view as 4 but now, after studying the work I have added 2 small waterfalls. You will always have these inspirations as you proceed with any build.

The next stage is to add the cement to the terracing to get a kind of escarpment effect. For this I use quick drying grey floor tile adhesive. This can be bought easily and comes in a powder form, various colours in 5 to 20kg bags. Mix it to a cement type of consistency, then with a small pointing trowel or even a stick! spread the stuff where you like, DONT FIDDLE, you will loose the natural effect. Put a dollop on the pillbox roof and shape it to a dome.

Now, into the garden and find a handful of stones more or less the correct scale size, back to the shed and gently push the stones into the cement, not too hard or the stuff will ooze around the stone and it will look daft.

Stand back and add some more if required....

The nails have gone and the pillbox slit shows up nice.

Thats it for this stage, I hope you are enjoying the build...I sure am, as now it is starting to take shape.

The next stage is the road, more to the pillbox and we can start on the water. Exciting or what!!!!!!!!

Ron

View attachment 19352

View attachment 19353

View attachment 19354

View attachment 19355

View attachment 19356

diorama 006.jpg

diorama 011.jpg

diorama 012.jpg

diorama 013.jpg

diorama 014.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron,its really coming along nicely now,its fascinating watching it develop,plus im learning for when i do mine!I bet you loved playing with slopdosh when you were a kid!!btw pic 1 looks like a cake my missus once made!!! keep up the good work,heres to the next installment. cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for following the build,Tony.

At first it all looks a bit bland but now it is starting to take shape I am getting quite a buzz on!.....My wife has just informed me she didn't think I was capable of that anymore and has added I have 2 dormant organs in my body. One is my brain, she won't say where the other is!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
First day back after the Bank Hols. and guess what? it's raining.......Can't work in the rain, head for the shed, Hey Ho!!!!

Stage 3.

In this session I will add more detail to the pillbox, start the road and the stream.

Photos 1/2 The pillbox is starting to look menacing now, with it's dome roof and I am well pleased with it so far. Note the addition of stepping stones above the waterfall so the troops won't get their feet wet going to the P.B.!! If you wish to put more stones in, use a dab of superglue on them, not too much because this stuff dries shiny and is a b****r to paint over.

Photo 3 shows the rear of the P.B. I have an admission to make here. I forgot to include a rear door so I have started modifying this bit, naughty boy! Also I have added a bit more cement here and there. This will happen as you will always have bits you have missed or are not happy with after the first 'spreading'

Photo 4 shows the rear of the P.B. with rubble added. I luuurv doing this bit as the effect, I hope you agree, is spot on. To achieve this get on your knees and sweep up the grit and dust from a suitable area. Mine is the workshop floor or greenhouse, honest!

Spread a light, well watered solution of P.V.A. where the rubble is to go.

If your not too sure of the consistancy practise on a bit of scrap...it only needs almost a wash type of thickness. Then simply sprinkle the rubble into the P.V.A. Put plenty on and only leave for a shorp while.

Turn the dio. on it's side and tap the board to remove any excess rubble. Job done,it's that easy. Don't worry if there are any bits missed, loose stuff can be sprinkled on later.

In photos 5/6 I have used the same method as above for the road surface but not quite as much. You will notice bigger bits in the road, I leave them alone, you might want to remove them. Also the back entrance to the P.B. is nearly ready for the forgotten door.

I can now start the stream. I owe the way this is done to my late father, who taught me many short cuts to achieve acceptable results.

I have read bits about using resins and this and that but just give this method a try and you will be astounded at the results..I was, and I won't use any other.....

First, we need to paint the stream bed. I use water based shed paint because it soaks in quickly and dries straight away. I use 3 colours black, brown and green. Using a small paint brush apply the green at the edges, this imitated weeds, the brown mid stream and the black in the middle and by the waterfall bases where the water is deepest. This is only a rule of thumb as obviously it depends on what colours you have, have a play on a bit of board first. Photo 7 shows the finished painted stream.

When the paint is perfectly dry and all large bits have been removed from the stream bed it is time to give the stream it's first coat of varnish.

Using a thinned down mix (say 75/25, I use a cheap varnish and turps

subs) give the bed a generous coating and leave to dry. The final photo shows the stream with just it's sealer coat.

Next time I will add more coats to the stream, make the bridge and a wall and do more to the pillbox.

I hope this has been of interest and I hope you will tag along next time.

Off to our little hideaway in the Dordogne (NAME DROPPER!!!!) on Thurday for a few days, so see you next week.

Ron

View attachment 19385

View attachment 19386

View attachment 19387

View attachment 19388

View attachment 19389

View attachment 19390

View attachment 19391

View attachment 19392

diorama 016.jpg

diorama 017.jpg

diorama 018.jpg

diorama 020.jpg

diorama 019.jpg

diorama 023.jpg

diorama 021.jpg

diorama 024.jpg

P

Plastickitbasher

I can see it taking shape and this is a most interesting thread keep up the good work

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
After a few days in France suffering temps in the 80s every day and good cheap wine, it's great to be back once again in lil' ol' U.K.!!!!!, so lets get back to the build.........

The Stream.

Time now for a second coat of varnish. This coat goes on neat. Don't be worried about 'bits' showing in the stream. This I think, makes the water a bit stagnant looking, but they will gradually go with each coat if a smooth finish is required.

The 3 photos show how the coats of varnish are building up the depth and reflections of the water.

The bridge.

For building the type of bridge here I use lollypop sticks cut into strips as they are the right scale thickness. As for the width, the choice is yours. I have cut them into approx. 1/8th" for the boards and 1/4" for the 3 supports, doubled up. If you have any balsa stock this is even better.

Photo 1 shows the bits ready.

" 2 shows the 3 supports, fit these loose into the stream bank, flush with the road. Putting these in temp. makes the gluing of the planks much easier.

In Photo 3 I have used wood glue and fixed the planking, don't worry about getting the spacings equal, in real life it doesn't happen!

When the glue is set hard carefully ease the structure out and paint.I use brown shed paint. I thought for some time whether to incorporate a hand rail and decided I would.

The final photo shows the completed bridge. Note the rubble on the bridge where the tracks of vehicles have been. To get this effect put some masking tape where you don't want the rubble, give the boards in between another coat of paint then sprinkle the 'dust' along the bridge...job done. As a bonus you can see the reflection of the boards in the stream.

The Wall.

First, into the garden and pick little stones of a suitable scale. If they are damp, into the micro for a few seconds....Avoid the kitchen knife thrown by the wife!!

Get a straight edge and build up the wall on a flat board using super glue.( photos 1/2) Be very careful, as you know doubt know this stuff is lethal. You will either have all your fingers stuck together or a straight edge on your diorama!

Once the wall is dry gently ease the wall from the board and fix in the desired position.( photo 3) I have added a few loose stones to simulate a broken bit of the wall.

Thats all for now.

Next time I will add some vegetation and also concentrate on the pillbox.

I hope those who are following this build are enjoying it and any feedback/comments will be gratefully received!!

Ron

View attachment 19447

View attachment 19448

View attachment 19449

View attachment 19450

View attachment 19451

View attachment 19452

View attachment 19453

View attachment 19454

View attachment 19455

View attachment 19456

diorama 028.jpg

diorama 038.jpg

diorama 046.jpg

diorama 045.jpg

diorama 047.jpg

diorama 057.jpg

diorama 112.jpg

diorama 079.jpg

diorama 118.jpg

diorama 091.jpg

S

Satnav313

It looks great Ron.

Cant Wait to see it finished. I love the wall it just shows the results you can get with a little know how and some stones. Brilliant!! Lol!!:music_too

Keep up the good work,

Tom.

S

Sky Raider

Fantastic work Ron, really coming to life now. Well done mate.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you all for the words of encouragement, glad to know you guys are following. However, I hope there are others doing likewise as it would give me a lot of pleasure to know that as many as possible are gaining a bit of knowledge and ideas to enable them to have the confidence to Av' a go!!

Also we could all benefit from any advise or tips from other members,that's what forums are all about..... cos' those oo' think they know everything, know now't. (Geoff Boycott,1974)

Next instalment tonight, after I've cooked the tea!!!!

Ron :write::write::write:

N

noble

looking good

\ said:
Thank you all for the words of encouragement, glad to know you guys are following. However, I hope there are others doing likewise as it would give me a lot of pleasure to know that as many as possible are gaining a bit of knowledge and ideas to enable them to have the confidence to Av' a go!!Also we could all benefit from any advise or tips from other members,that's what forums are all about..... cos' those oo' think they know everything, know now't. (Geoff Boycott,1974)

Next instalment tonight, after I've cooked the tea!!!!

Ron :write::write::write:
Heh Sanner this is looking really good so far keep puttin those pics up and i can't wait to see the finished dio. One question what scale are you building to?

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Heh Sanner this is looking really good so far keep puttin those pics up and i can't wait to see the finished dio. One question what scale are you building to?scott
It's 1/35 scale. I am just about done with the washing up so I am going to put the next part of the build on the thread.

Glad to see your following this,Scott and I hope it will be useful to you in future projects.

Ron