Making a 1/35 scale diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
O.K. In this instalment I will concentrate on the pillbox.

I have removed the bridge rail as I kept knocking the bl***y thing off!

First off we go into the garden and gather some suitable materials...Various mosses and scale 'dead trees' (twigs to you and me)

Place the moss on the pill box until you are happy with the position then a dab of neat P.V.A. and gently press the moss into it. Believe it or not the stuff continues to grow!!

Now add your dead trees as you see fit. (photos 1/2 shows this stage done) You can always add stuff later should you choose.

Now to the rear of the structure.

A bit more veg. and sticks and fit the door. Now have fun with 'extras' I have added some cut logs and a couple of ammo crates for starters. (Photo 3.)

Round to the front.

Make up some scale barbed wire. For this I use multi core wire from almost any domestic electric appliance. Split open the cable and select a piece of wire about 9" long, wrap it around a pencil and hold it for a while until it holds it's shape then dip it in black paint ( I use water based shed paint as it is the right thickness for this job. Photo 4) allow to dry then just drape it around the pillbox where you like.

Add a bit more greenery,rocks and debris and thats the P.B. done for a while. Photos 5,6,7 show this stage but later you will want to have a look and see if you can improve it.

Before I added the vegetation I gave the stream another lick...see how the water is starting to get a bit of depth now.

Next time I will be adding more greenery to the diorama in general and adding inspirational bits and pieces to improve the overall effect.

I hope you can stay with it as it is nearly complete now!!

Ron.

View attachment 19467

View attachment 19468

View attachment 19469

View attachment 19470

View attachment 19471

View attachment 19472

View attachment 19473

View attachment 19474

View attachment 19475

diorama 049.jpg

diorama 064.jpg

diorama 069.jpg

diorama 080.jpg

diorama 087.jpg

diorama 102.jpg

diorama 089.jpg

diorama 040.jpg

diorama 044.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Loving it Ron what vehicles are you putting into it mate?

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Loving it Ron what vehicles are you putting into it mate?Andy
I've been having so much fun with this build Andy, that I havn't given much thought to the vehicle side of things, but I can feel that lil' ol' Tiger Tank urge coming on...Who knows?

That was some quick reply to this instalment mate. I had only just posted it and you replied!!!!!!!!!!

Ron

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
I've been having so much fun with this build Andy, that I havn't given much thought to the vehicle side of things, but I can feel that lil' ol' Tiger Tank urge coming on...Who knows?That was some quick reply to this instalment mate. I had only just posted it and you replied!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
I know mate, i was patiently waiting for you to get rid of the marigolds lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
its coming on now ron, the stream looks brilliant,liking the barbed wire too! maybe we could start a thread listing all the unorthodox materials useful for modellers ie your electrical wire for barbed wire.i know i use loads of stuff that people would never expect to be used for a model. ill have a look and see if we can do one that people can keep adding to,im sure it would be useful for everyone.:thinking:cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
its coming on now ron, the stream looks brilliant,liking the barbed wire too! maybe we could start a thread listing all the unorthodox materials useful for modellers ie your electrical wire for barbed wire.i know i use loads of stuff that people would never expect to be used for a model. ill have a look and see if we can do one that people can keep adding to,im sure it would be useful for everyone.:thinking:cheers tony
Good idea Tony. As you may have gathered from reading my guff, I'm the worlds worst when it comes to buying things for my models, prefering to adapt whwt I have lying around.

I am sure there are like minded people out there.....Being a cheap skate I could fill at least three pages alone!!!!!!!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is the penultimate instalment of this build and is to do with adding detail such as trees, more greenery and bits and bobs.

Photo 1 shows the completed rear of the pill box. I have added more logs, some jerry cans and a pee bucket!

Photo 2 is a top view of the finished P.G.

In photos 3/4 I have added the vegetation (moss), fallen trees (twigs from the garden) some more rubble(from the garden path) and scratched some track marks on the road, the jury is out on this last bit...

In the next picture I have glued in some fence posts made from matches and painted with shed paint.

The next four pictures show the 'trees' in position plus more moss and 'twigs' The first is a good example of four different kinds of moss I have used. The next is the same group from another angle. Yes, I know they are brown but it is autumn and in any case the wife won't let me snip new stuff yet, but I have a cunning plan!!!

The third shows the actual plant where I get my 'trees' from. It's called an Astilbe and it always produces an abundance of miniture conifer type trees of various sizes.

The last is just a general shot. Where is the wall? I have got sequence of shots a bit out, sorry.

Now is the time to sit back, have a beer and think how you can improve or add to your diorama.

In my last instalment I am sure to come up with something so I will include them in the final batch of photos in a few days time. Once again thank you for followng this build so far.

Ron

View attachment 19542

View attachment 19543

View attachment 19544

View attachment 19545

View attachment 19546

View attachment 19547

View attachment 19548

View attachment 19549

View attachment 19550

diorama 095.jpg

diorama 103.jpg

diorama 101.jpg

diorama 066.jpg

diorama 096.jpg

diorama 105.jpg

diorama 106.jpg

diorama 107.jpg

diorama 073.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Thats really cool Ron, where do you put these things when you have built them?

Andy

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Fantastic Ron :music_too

Can i ask, what have you used for the river please?

John.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Thats really cool Ron, where do you put these things when you have built them?Andy
Nice to see you are still hanging on in there, Andy.

Sometimes I take some pictures then I cannibalize them for future dioramas.

If I really like the end result they go on my 'big' shelf in the shed!!

To get a bit of beer money I have considered trying to flog them but postage would be a big problem, so in the shed they will probably stay until the day comes when my sons can have the pleasure of sorting them out!!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Fantastic Ron :music_tooCan i ask, what have you used for the river please?

John.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, John.

The river effect is mentioned in the earlier stages, but briefly I used different colours of shed paint stippled on. Then as many coats of varnish as you like....With this diorama every time I pass it I give it a quick coat. It only take a few seconds. The more you give it the deeper the water seems to look.

It's fool proof and works every time.

Hope this helps you.

By the way I am STILL trying for the perfect grass (what a sad person I am!)

Ron :ranting2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
This is the last instalment of this build. I hope you have enjoyed following it and have picked up a few tips and advise along the way.

After a beer and seeing if I could add a bit more 'life' to the diorama I have added...

A sign post made with matches.

More barbed wire on moveable cross pieces, again with matches.

A final coat of varnish.

A broken fence rail complete with split, out of balsa scrap and a few bits and bobs.

I was not happy with the road so I sprinkled some more rubble on it then dragged my finger along, this action moved the stuff to the edges and middle. This made the road look 'used'

I hope you like the last set of pickies.

Still thinking about armour for it, maybe soon.

Ron

View attachment 19585

View attachment 19586

View attachment 19587

View attachment 19588

View attachment 19589

View attachment 19590

View attachment 19591

View attachment 19592

View attachment 19593

View attachment 19594

fin. dio.sept 2009 038.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 054.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 101.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 094.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 085.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 064.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 071.jpg

diorama 005.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 104.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 051.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Unbelievable work mate. You have made a fantastic job of this one. The water effect is stunning.

Well done

Andy

N

noble

Hi Ron I've have to echo Andy mate this is superb, and to see it built from the base up is cool this has inspired me to get my finger out and start the dio i've been planning for months, an excellent job well done and keep up the good work.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
This is the last instalment of this build. I hope you have enjoyed following it and have picked up a few tips and advise along the way.After a beer and seeing if I could add a bit more 'life' to the diorama I have added...

A sign post made with matches.

More barbed wire on moveable cross pieces, again with matches.

A final coat of varnish.

A broken fence rail complete with split, out of balsa scrap and a few bits and bobs.

I was not happy with the road so I sprinkled some more rubble on it then dragged my finger along, this action moved the stuff to the edges and middle. This made the road look 'used'

I hope you like the last set of pickies.

The sun came out briefly yesterday and I couldn't resist a 'play'!

This set of photos is just for fun, but turned out to be a nice study of shade and shadows.

I hope you don't mind the slight deviation from the actual build!

I now have a clear idea for some activity for the diorama....

Guess who's coming for tea !!!?

Ron
View attachment 19595

View attachment 19596

View attachment 19597

View attachment 19598

View attachment 19599

View attachment 19600

View attachment 19601

View attachment 19602

View attachment 19603

fin. dio.sept 2009 040.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 033.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 064.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 080.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 089.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 094.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 083.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 108.jpg

fin. dio.sept 2009 114.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Absolutely stunning work. I'm not sure I'd welcome your tea-time visitors though!

Do you reckon that those guys would consider that bridge to be OK for something small - say a Kubelwagen or Kettenkrad? What would happen if it wasn't?

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Absolutely stunning work. I'm not sure I'd welcome your tea-time visitors though!Do you reckon that those guys would consider that bridge to be OK for something small - say a Kubelwagen or Kettenkrad? What would happen if it wasn't?

Gern
Thank you for the comment, much appreciated. That's a good point you have made. However, after they invaded France, the German High Command issued a directive that all strategic bridges were to be guarded AND strengthend to allow the passage of armour.

Ow's about that for :thinking: on your feet, Gern?!!! lol

Just noticed I've duplicated a couple of photos, oops!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Ooops!

Sorry Ron.

I should have noticed that this must be a strategic bridge. Why else would it be guarded by a pillbox!

Silly me! I shall go and hide my head in shame 'til I get over the embarrassment of such a simple error :shoot:

Gern

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
looks fantastic now its done ,ron.brilliant camera work too! i cant wait to see it with the armour +figures in it,hope we get another sunny day to take the photos! cheers tony:bravo:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Ooops!Sorry Ron.

I should have noticed that this must be a strategic bridge. Why else would it be guarded by a pillbox!

Silly me! I shall go and hide my head in shame 'til I get over the embarrassment of such a simple error :shoot:

Gern
Gern, I hope you didn't think I was being serious about the bridge.

I just made that up on the spur of the moment, so I could be free to include some armour if I decided to.

Mind you, on reflection I guess they must have taken this sort of action at a similar minor bridge, somewhere.

You may bring your head out now!

Last edited by a moderator: