Making a 1/35 scale diorama

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
looks fantastic now its done ,ron.brilliant camera work too! i cant wait to see it with the armour +figures in it,hope we get another sunny day to take the photos! cheers tony:bravo:
Thanks for the praise and comments,Tony. I was just lucky that it was a cloudy day and now and then the sun would burst through. Then I just spun the diorama around on the patio table.

Unfortunately I scratched the table, as a nail was poking through the bottom of the model. No leisure points there, but I cooked the present Mrs. Ron an extra egg with her chips so all is well again!!

Cheers,

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Nice one Ron, i love the reflection on the last photo. Top work matey.

More, MORE.

John

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi Ron,

No worries! I got over my embarrassment about 5 seconds after I sent my last post tee hee!

I just thought a man of your skill might like to create another masterpiece for us. How about showing a Kubelwagen or summat after it has crashed through the decking of the bridge and into the stream - in this particular case, I'd guess it would still have the rear wheels up on the bridge/bank?

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Nice one Ron, i love the reflection on the last photo. Top work matey.More, MORE.

John
Thank you John. Yes, I do like the last photo.

I was messing with the figures as the sun was 'dipping' and it just happened. I believe photographers call such things 'happy accidents'

I hope you didn't mind me posting your ploughed field idea on Tony's thread. I did tell people to visit your diorama, honest!!

Ron

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I hope you didn't mind me posting your ploughed field idea on Tony's thread. I did tell people to visit your diorama, honest!!Ron
LOL, i don't mind matey, more the merrier know about the ideas the models and dio's get posted up.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi Ron,No worries! I got over my embarrassment about 5 seconds after I sent my last post tee hee!

I just thought a man of your skill might like to create another masterpiece for us. How about showing a Kubelwagen or summat after it has crashed through the decking of the bridge and into the stream - in this particular case, I'd guess it would still have the rear wheels up on the bridge/bank?

Gern
Funny you should say that, Gern. I did do one similar to what you suggest. I put it up on eebeegeebee bay as I needed the room and guess what?...someone thought it good enough to buy which gave me one hell of a buzz!!

If you want I can root out some pickies and put them on the forum.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Funny you should say that, Gern. I did do one similar to what you suggest. I put it up on eebeegeebee bay as I needed the room and guess what?...someone thought it good enough to buy which gave me one hell of a buzz!!If you want I can root out some pickies and put them on the forum.

Ron
That'd be good. It's always nice to look at the experts' work for inspiration and ideas.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
That'd be good. It's always nice to look at the experts' work for inspiration and ideas.Gern
Woa, ease up, Gern... I'm no expert. The diorama on this thread is honestly only my fourth attempt. I guess I'm just lucky but it shows if I can do it anyone can. Just have the confidence to have a go and as always have fun!

It is nice you should want to see the pickies. I will try and put them on tonight (Wed)

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great read. Got a lot of good tips from this.

If you are still on the look out for a good way for doing grass, Get down to your local fly tying suplies shop.

Deer hair make great tuffies, clumps, and straw. Even looks good cut right down. Finer furs such as rabbit or squirel tail can become good finer grass. You can even get it dyed in loads of colours that work for grass; Olive green, dark yellow, etc.

Good way to make long thick tufts is to take a bunch of deer hair, bind and glue it at the bottom and them stuff is down in the 'substate'.

Like the way you tackle the river. i s'pose you could even do it with a water base varnish and mix a bit of colour in, using less colour and more varnish, to give a real deep look.

Fiber board; now that could be the thing I need to do my rocky platue (sp) with.

Ian M

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see this popping up again Ian, and I hope you, and anyone else who perhaps has not seen it, can glean some pointers and info from it.

Regarding the deep water, I found if you paint the river bed black then gradually lighten the colours and finish with a bit of green for weeds in the shallows then varnish, it makes the black bits look really deep.

The principle holds up well even with water filled mortar craters....

Thanks again for re-vitalising this.

Ron

N

noble

Watching this one with interest Ron it will make a very interesting thread.

scott

B

bikerbart

What an inspiration this thread has been. Ive just read it start to finish and i have to say it has given me some ideas regarding myself attempting a dio. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this thread Ron, im sure many of us have found it very helpful. Regards Martin.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you Martin for the kind words. It is nice to see my thread surfacing again.

Also with the impending G/B about to start I hope it will give other people a bit of help if they should wish to make a dio. no matter how modest.

This thread involved various elements but remember, the simplest of dio's can sometimes have a lot more impact than a larger one.

There are other builds on the dioramas forum, all have great tips and advise, do take a look.

Thanks to the July G/B it's good to see it's generating an interest in dios....I do believe I'm getting a bit of a buzz on!!!

Cheers,

Ron

B

bikerbart

Nice one Ron...i can just see ya now heading off to the shed to do a midnight build now you have the buzz on lol

F

Fenlander

Last time you had a buzz on Ron, it was the wrong battery in your 'device'. Be careful :laughing:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Seeing as how there are some great How to's and the like being posted at the minute, I will offer this one for the pile.....

It's was my fourth attempt at a dio. from way back in 2009, so, I apologize to those who might have read it before, but it might be of some use to someone new to Scale models and dioramas......

It contains tips on making a base, building a bunker, a river, a bridge, a stone wall, a road and various bit's and bob's....

Sorry for all the waffle and banter contained herein, but between it all you should find something of interest!

Cheers all,

Ron

C

CDW

I read through this a couple of times when I first joined Ron, was very helpful.

To be honest the banter contained within gives an inside as to the friendliness (and good-willed sarcasm) of the forum :smiling3:

First Name
Andy
Hi Mr Ron,

Thank you for this one Sir, this is the kind of helpful post, along with Colin's (CDW) and Richi's (Richi72) that should be made into sticky's so they don't get lost over time...

Andy...

P.S...I have just remembered, this reminds me a little of the Pillbox on the A525 Ruthin - Wrexham road, if it's still there that is, not been up that way for a few years now...

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Richard
Hi Ron,

nice mate, very nice Tips and Tricks here learned again a couple of things

Thanks again Ron